Affliction ‘Day of Reckoning’: Pedro Rizzo vs Ben Rothwell

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Affliction ‘Day of Reckoning’: Pedro Rizzo vs Ben Rothwell
SmileR
8/9/08 5:18:07PM
Affliction fighters Ben Rothwell (29-6) and Pedro Rizzo (16-8) have been scheduled to face off at October’s “Day of Reckoning” in a match that will right one ship and sink the other.

Rothwell is coming off a strong effort against Andrei Arlovski at Affliction “Banned” on July 19 that saw him hanging tough - only to eventually succumb to the Belarusian’s superior striking and ability in the third round.

It was Rothwell’s first loss in 14 fights and just sixth overall. He was unstoppable in the now defunct IFL and at just 27 years of age, is at or nearing his prime.

Rizzo on the other hand, may be feeling a sense of urgency. “The Rock” still garners respect from his ability to hit like a wrecking ball, but he’s not been able to demonstrate the kind of striking that made him famous earlier in his career.

His knockout loss to Josh Barnett last month probably hasn’t helped matters, but it looks like he’ll get another chance to turn things around against Rothwell.

From a career standpoint, it could be now or never.

Affliction “Day of Reckoning” takes place on October 11 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada and features the main event of Josh “The Babyface Assassin” Barnett (23-5) vs. Andrei “The Pitbull” Arlovski (13-5).

Link
nickcuc547
8/9/08 5:33:04PM
this will be a slug fest, if rothwell can take what arlovski had for three rounds he can surely handle rizzo, rothwell by round 2 ko.
juanez13
8/9/08 5:35:32PM
If Rothwell doesnt take it to the ground, He is getting KTFO by a Rizzo straight right.
hotrodttt
8/9/08 5:36:22PM
Yeah I'm taking Ben in this one, Rizzo has never been Good at taking shots to the Chin and the Fight that Stands out in my mind are the Kharitonov Fight and the Baney Fight where he took a direct shot to the Chin and went down. So I've got Ben via 1st Round T(KO).
Jackelope
8/9/08 5:46:12PM
I'll give this one to Rothwell, too.
Khaos
8/9/08 6:02:13PM
Bothwell by TKO in the second.
candynuts
8/9/08 7:23:10PM
I would like to see Rizzo take this, but I understand that he will probably be the underdog.
Pitbull09
8/9/08 8:20:19PM
This was expected. 6 Heavyweights, 2 already fighting, 1 injured, 1 humiliated, and 2 left coming off of loses. Affliction needs more HW than this or they will be fighting each other eveyr other event. Get Mirko
juanez13
8/9/08 11:09:17PM

Posted by Pitbull09

This was expected. 6 Heavyweights, 2 already fighting, 1 injured, 1 humiliated, and 2 left coming off of loses. Affliction needs more HW than this or they will be fighting each other eveyr other event. Get Mirko

Mirko vs the Looser of Barney/AA would be insane, another fight with Barney, or a fight with one of the best strikers in MMA