AFFLICTION CLEARS ROADBLOCKS, READY FOR MORE

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » AFFLICTION CLEARS ROADBLOCKS, READY FOR MORE
MMAcca
9/4/08 1:13:24AM
By now, Affliction vice president Tom Atencio has become used to swimming upstream against the doubters of his company. Since he launched Affliction Entertainment as the new fight promotion on the block in early 2008, he has faced naysayers at every turn, despite assembling one of the most talent-packed MMA cards in the sport’s recent history with “Affliction: Banned” this July.

None have been more vocal than UFC president Dana White. Since Affliction’s emergence, his not-so-affectionate moniker for the company, “the t-shirt guys,” has often been followed by a prediction of the company’s approaching demise. In a teleconference on Tuesday announcing Randy Couture’s return to the UFC, he was true to form.

“In this economy right now, losing money is a really bad thing,” White said. “There’s nobody out there looking to fund anything, nobody’s spending any money, nobody’s investing in anything. When you’re losing the kind of money that these guys are losing, you’ve gotta sell a lot of t-shirts to get back that money.”

LINK
McBee
9/4/08 1:38:47AM

Posted by MMAcca

“In this economy right now, losing money is a really bad thing,” White said. “There’s nobody out there looking to fund anything, nobody’s spending any money, nobody’s investing in anything. When you’re losing the kind of money that these guys are losing, you’ve gotta sell a lot of t-shirts to get back that money.”

LINK

I know people will say he is hurting the sport or whatever but he is in the UFC business and he is damn good at it and hilarious. After he has been at this for thirty years I would pay some money for a book of Dana White quotes.
Wolfenstein
9/4/08 1:48:50AM
Dana is trying really hard to intimidate and pressure Affliction. He's probably right that there are struggles ahead, but I think he feels threatened that Affliction has the best chance of becoming a rival. I don't think we've seen the end of the UFC's attempts to wear down Affliction and keep them in the red.
telnights
9/4/08 3:02:36AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Dana is trying really hard to intimidate and pressure Affliction. He's probably right that there are struggles ahead, but I think he feels threatened that Affliction has the best chance of becoming a rival. I don't think we've seen the end of the UFC's attempts to wear down Affliction and keep them in the red.

I really don't think so. I very much don't think Dana see's Affliction as a would be rival. In fact I think he really thinks they will be gone before the end of 2009. Dana and us as MMA fans have seen so many company's come up and die off. Really think about it.

Everyone was saying when Pride said they were going to do shows in the USA that they were going to kill the UFC in sales after a few shows. Then comes the IFL lots of experts were saying it could rival the UFC. Then comes EliteXC everyone was saying how they were going to beat the UFC because the scored a network TV deal. Affliction before even doing its first show people are talking smack about how it will kill the UFC. Now Affliction has done one show that was a bunch of loop sided fights that they way over payed their fighters for. I really don't think Dana is worried at all.
Darnok
9/4/08 11:02:19AM
It will be interesting to see if Affliction is being sued for something. Sounds like Tom knows more than he is saying.
McBee
9/4/08 11:47:57AM

Posted by Darnok

It will be interesting to see if Affliction is being sued for something. Sounds like Tom knows more than he is saying.

Dana did keep on saying he would never touch anybody else's contracts during the Couture/Lesner Con Call maybe he sued Affliction for the Couture/Fedor thing at the end of the FedorSylvia fight
jiujitsufreak74
9/4/08 2:48:47PM

Posted by McBee
I know people will say he is hurting the sport or whatever but he is in the UFC business and he is damn good at it and hilarious. After he has been at this for thirty years I would pay some money for a book of Dana White quotes.

i would never say he is hurting the sport. in fact, he is the only reason the sport gained popularity in the first place. if anything he is facilitating the sport, not hurting it. (i know you don't think he is hurting it, i am just addressing all the people who think he is)
Darnok
9/5/08 12:15:30PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by Darnok

Dana did keep on saying he would never touch anybody else's contracts during the Couture/Lesner Con Call maybe he sued Affliction for the Couture/Fedor thing at the end of the FedorSylvia fight

I believe you may be right on this one.