Affliction Not Bitter About Couture Deal

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Affliction Not Bitter About Couture Deal
MMAcca
9/4/08 3:04:36PM
Affliction promoter Tom Atencio says he is pleased that Randy Couture has been able to reconcile himself with the UFC.

And he denies that the deal has cost his promotion a Couture/Fedor fight, saying that Couture never had a fight contract with Affliction.

"I think the biggest problem is people assume everything," he told MMARated.com "The bottom line is Randy is our partner with Xtreme Couture. Randy is sponsored by Affliction. He's been with us and we work with him.”

UFC president Dana White announced on Tuesday that estranged heavyweight champion Randy Couture was back in the fold.

He also used the conference call to pour scorn on Affliction’s prospects as a mixed martial art s promoter, saying he would be “horrified” if the company was still promoting in a

"Randy needs to do what he needs to do to handle his problems," Atencio said. "I'm happy for him."

LINK
balack_o-bama
9/4/08 3:11:06PM
Thats good that he dont act like Dana White in interviews.

I wonder if he'll be so nice when the EWW FC steals Fedor!?
cmill21
9/4/08 3:17:43PM
Well he knows that the UFC will never get to put on the Fedor vs Randy fight either so why it doesn't matter.
Zekeil
9/4/08 4:43:41PM

Posted by cmill21

Well he knows that the UFC will never get to put on the Fedor vs Randy fight either so why it doesn't matter.

Of coarse they will, That's a stupid comment.
Why do you think UFC signed Randy to a "NEW" contract. If they wanted him to fight Lesnar all they had to do is fix a few things in his old contract and he could have finished that one out.

UFC and Randy came to an agreement and if I had to bet They told Randy that they will do whatever it takes to get Fedor for Randy's last fight in the UFC.

Randy's contract is going to play out like this Lesnar, Nog(or Mir) and Fedor then he'll retire.

Do you think it's a coincidence they signed him to a three fight deal...NO.
UFC want's him to fight Lesnar for the dough they'll make off it, He has to fight Nog(or Mir) to unify the belts and Randy wants Fedor.

Randy will fight Fedor in 2009 regardless of the outcomes of the fight's I mentioned.
cmill21
9/4/08 5:08:56PM

Posted by Zekeil

Posted by cmill21

Of coarse they will, That's a stupid comment.
Why do you think UFC signed Randy to a "NEW" contract. If they wanted him to fight Lesnar all they had to do is fix a few things in his old contract and he could have finished that one out.

UFC and Randy came to an agreement and if I had to bet They told Randy that they will do whatever it takes to get Fedor for Randy's last fight in the UFC.

Randy's contract is going to play out like this Lesnar, Nog(or Mir) and Fedor then he'll retire.

Do you think it's a coincidence they signed him to a three fight deal...NO.
UFC want's him to fight Lesnar for the dough they'll make off it, He has to fight Nog(or Mir) to unify the belts and Randy wants Fedor.

Randy will fight Fedor in 2009 regardless of the outcomes of the fight's I mentioned.

How do you figure they'll sign Fedor? Say Randy wins his next two fights and remains the champ, they will have to sign Fedor to a one fight contract risking him walking away after beating their champ. Now if Randy loses they will have to sign Fedor to a one fight contract, his managment will want to co-promote the event and have some of their other fighters on the card. I don't know what everyone thinks has changed, Fedor's managment still wants what they've been asking for the entire time(what Affliction gave them), this is the same stuff the UFC said was rediculous before. Then you have the added factor of Affliction approving this fight which will again mean the UFC either having to let fighters wear Affliction shirts or some type of advertising, which the UFC will not agree to. They said they would do everything possible to sign Fedor before, that worked out well.
Wolfenstein
9/4/08 6:32:31PM
It's not a bad idea if it's Randy's third and final fight in the UFC. Then what does the UFC have to lose? He's retiring after the fight anyways so he's not going to be the guy Fedor owned but still has a UFC belt.
cmill21
9/4/08 11:09:19PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

It's not a bad idea if it's Randy's third and final fight in the UFC. Then what does the UFC have to lose? He's retiring after the fight anyways so he's not going to be the guy Fedor owned but still has a UFC belt.

Trouble is M-1 will want to co-promote it.
Aether
9/4/08 11:36:00PM
I have to agree with Zekeil, partially. I mean ultimately it's going to depend on Fedor's management, but I think that Fedor is eventually going to go to the UFC because it's the only stable MMA promotion out there, really. After going from promotion to promotion and watching them all fold he's probably just going to want to fight for a stable organization that can consistently get the best fighters. IF affliction folds I think he's definitely going to end up in the UFC. If not, he almost definitely will stay with them.
cmill21
9/5/08 1:08:46PM

Posted by Aether

I have to agree with Zekeil, partially. I mean ultimately it's going to depend on Fedor's management, but I think that Fedor is eventually going to go to the UFC because it's the only stable MMA promotion out there, really. After going from promotion to promotion and watching them all fold he's probably just going to want to fight for a stable organization that can consistently get the best fighters. IF affliction folds I think he's definitely going to end up in the UFC. If not, he almost definitely will stay with them.

Theres always MMA in Japan, Dream is stable since if they fold it will only be because FEG is starting one with the founder of K-1 doing all the planning of it. Fedor has nothing to prove in the UFC IMHO, especially if Nog beats Mir and the winner of Lesnar couture, and most people want to see him vs AA/Barney/Kharitonov as opposed to him vs GG/Werdum/Kongo.
palaceonballas
9/5/08 10:14:07PM
I can't imagine that affliction is thrilled about Couture going with the UFC