Affliction To Use “Biggest Ring Ever”

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Affliction To Use “Biggest Ring Ever”
snakerattle79
7/18/08 12:56:43PM
http://www.mmafrenzy.com/2008/07/16/affliction-to-use-biggest-ring-ever/

In a recent Sherdog.com interview Mark Hominick, who will be competing on Affliction’s undercard this Saturday against Savant Young, mentioned yet another feature to be included in the clothing company’s inaugural MMA showcase:

“You know, it’s gonna be the biggest heavyweight card of all time, especially on North American soil. And, you know, they’re bringing in the biggest ring ever in the States, so it’s gonna be huge, you know, room to play. So I’m gonna be excited to be in there… I’m a kickboxer. I trade, and I love the ring. I’ve talked to Savant, he likes the ring too.”

It’s difficult to report this and not make mention of the IFL’s once proposed fancy gimmick ring “The Hex” which was a failed idea before it ever got off the ground. I give Affliction credit for breaking the bank to obtain over-sized rings and metal bands and all that fun stuff, but I do hope they remember that some people are actually supposed to fight that night as well.

Bowen50
7/18/08 1:21:06PM
i heard Affliction is using the new Throwdown 5 Rope MMA ring. Link

i don't have a link to the web site i read they'd be using it on because i can't find it again. But its my guess it's going to be a bigger version of that ring.
CantAndleDaRiddum
7/18/08 1:35:18PM
anyone think this helps or hurts any of the fighters?
Khaos
7/18/08 1:57:37PM
I'd think hurts fighter, in a lagre ring someone in all seriousness could "Starnes" you in the fight.
juanez13
7/18/08 1:59:26PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

anyone think this helps or hurts any of the fighters?

I think it'll hurt then guys that are used to fighting in a ring, Fedor + Barnett + the other guys....because now it'll be much harder to corner a guy since there is more space to move. For the other guys that are used to fighting in a cage it wont affect them anymore than a normal ring would IMO, because the cage is pretty damn big, so they're already used to fighting in a large space, so i dont think it'll make much more of a difference than it would have if it was a normal ring.
loonytnt
7/18/08 5:41:37PM
i think rings suck to fight in, thats just imo ive fought in rings and cages, cages are way better. rings you just get to the side you go mid you cant work
Mchubb316
7/18/08 10:49:40PM
It will hurt some guys, and help others. I would think guys who use their wrestling for takedowns, would be at an advantage. I think they would have more room to hold on and get that takedown.
BlazeHoliday
7/21/08 11:28:33AM
I still like the cage over the ring. But I will admit Afflictions ring was probably the best ring i've ever seen.
pv3Hpv3p
7/21/08 12:14:15PM

Posted by BlazeHoliday

I still like the cage over the ring. But I will admit Afflictions ring was probably the best ring i've ever seen.

If anything, I like the ring from a pure spectator purpose... it's just easier to see what's going on with less stuff in the way...
BloodandTears
7/21/08 12:54:04PM

Posted by Mchubb316

It will hurt some guys, and help others. I would think guys who use their wrestling for takedowns, would be at an advantage. I think they would have more room to hold on and get that takedown.

Absolutely, so much of this depends on what style you bring. There can be advantages and disadvantages in both. It's a completely diffrent feeling going from a ring to a cage and it brings on a diffrent mind set. I recomend going to your local gym, step into a ring, then lock yourself into a cage. Hard to get use to.