Affliction: Banned" July 19 debut card

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Affliction: Banned" July 19 debut card
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/10/08 1:43:19PM
As we mentioned in Friday's "Inside MMA"/MMAjunkie.com preview clip, Affliction Clothing has officially released details of its debut card, which takes place July 19.

The event is set for the Honda Center ("The Pond") in Anaheim, Calif., and features a previously announced main event between Fedor Emelianenko and Tim Sylvia. The main card airs live on pay per view.

The organization has also confirmed a number of former UFC and PRIDE veterans for its event, entitled "Banned," which is a knock at the clothing company recently being banned as a sponsor of UFC and EliteXC fighters.

Company executives report the following line-up:

MAIN CARD (PAY PER VIEW)

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia
Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo
Ben Rothwell vs. TBA
Paul Buentello vs. Aleksander Emelianenko*
Matt Lindland vs. Fabio Nascimento
Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Mike Whitehead
PRELIMINARY CARD

Ray Lazama vs. Justin Levens
Mark Hominick vs. Savant Young
J.J. Ambrose vs. Patrick Speight
Brett Cooper vs. Mike Pyle
* - not signed

Tickets for the event go on sale May 20.http://mmajunkie.com/news/4318/affliction-banned-july-19-debut-card.mma
hodge
5/10/08 1:58:30PM
I didnt think that aleks could get a visa in America
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/10/08 2:05:55PM

Posted by hodge

I didnt think that aleks could get a visa in America

me too. but it does have a * by him and listed as unsigned so who knows
Vendetta
5/10/08 2:13:58PM
Love the title of the event.
telnights
5/10/08 2:38:25PM
Its a good card but I just don't see them making money on it. If its on PPV the only people that will order are die hard fans which there isn't a lot of us at least not enough of us to come close to making a profit. I see them having maybe 1-2 shows then closing up shop which is a shame.

Fact is to make money at this you have to have a large fan base already in place. The UFC spent a lot of money building up their brand and it took years the only thing that saved them was TUF. The UFC did this back when it didn't cost much to pay fighters and now days it cost a lot for top tier HWs. I would be shocked if they even made enough to cover the fighters pay from Ticket sales and PPV buys. We don't even know if it going to be on PPV yet if it isn't thats a lot more money they are lossing.
Muay-Thai_Mogwai
5/10/08 2:58:58PM
Im def looking forward to this show, props 2 Affliction for a great card. Since there clothing is so expensive Affliction should'nt have to worry about going under.
Mchubb316
5/10/08 4:07:30PM
This could very well be the card of the year. I just don't see Affliction selling enought tickets, and PPV's to be able to continue to pay these fighters all on one card.
puppetmaster837
5/10/08 4:26:17PM
This is the greatest looking card ever. And even though it might be a very expensive on for Affliction it is really the only way to get your company noticed these days. You might as well take a chance spending some money with big names, then going the cheap way and getting lower names that people dont know.

Plus Affliction is a huge clothing company, a lot of mma companies that come then go don't have the money that Affliction already has. I think they could make an impact
RMFG_187
5/10/08 4:36:59PM
wow, affliction coming out with a BANG.
prozacnation1978
5/10/08 4:42:18PM
i would love to go, but there is a risk of buying the ticket, and watching the promotion fall through and cancel at last second, do you get tickets through ticketmaster??
CornishMMA
5/10/08 4:51:56PM
everyone that can buy the ppv needs to buy the ppv, anyone that decides to just DL this for free when they could afford to support the show should be ashamed, heres hoping they make enough $ to run another show cos thats a killer card
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/10/08 6:16:12PM

Posted by Muay-Thai_Mogwai

Im def looking forward to this show, props 2 Affliction for a great card. Since there clothing is so expensive Affliction should'nt have to worry about going under.

Rush
5/10/08 8:39:53PM

Posted by Vendetta

Love the title of the event.

ditto
jae_1833
5/11/08 1:55:45AM
Gotta go with the consensus on this one....too big for their own britches!!! WAR Babalu!!!!
jocksmall
5/11/08 3:09:29PM
this is a stacked card it will be the first ive paid for in some time. cant wait to see tim vs fedor. i guess we will see if fedor is the man because we all cant deny that tim has been the man in the ufc. this is a measuring stick match that we all have asked for. fedor has already beat down the current ufc champ. to me fedor can shut up the hw critics with a win. looking foward to seeing barnett again, he is one of the top hw in the world. this is the best card for hw since total elimination tourny. plus we get lindland and babalu. i am stoked
silverbullet
5/12/08 11:51:11AM
this is a main-league worthy event IMHO
woodmo
5/12/08 12:43:30PM

Posted by Muay-Thai_Mogwai

The-Don
5/20/08 7:25:18PM
I think between ticket sales, the incrased sales of thier clothing thanks to the UFC ban and a stacked card like this if it is a success ( which I think will depend on its marketing) They need to by airtime slots during all the upcoming UFC events and TUF episodes would be a major kick in the teeth to the UFC and a great marketing stragety for them use the UFC popularity against them to promote your own show... If they get the numbers to watchthis show and can put ona 2nd card just as good... Perhaps Fedor v Randy? maybe get Tito and good name to fight.. ? I think affliction could be a major thorn inthe side of the UFC if they play it right...