Affliction: Banned (fight card and discussion)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Affliction: Banned (fight card and discussion)
pv3Hpv3p
5/13/08 9:10:47AM
Didn't see anywhere on this forum where they were discussing the event in it's entirety, and was having trouble finding a fight card so I thought I'd post what I found...

AFFLICTION: BANNED
Saturday, July 19
Honda Center
Anaheim, CA

UNDERCARD:
Mark Hominick vs. Savant Young
Justin Levens vs. Ray Lazama
Mike Pyle vs. Brett Cooper
J.J. Ambrose vs. Patrick Speight

MAIN CARD:
Renato “Babalu” Sobral vs. Mike Whitehead
Matt Lindland vs. Fabio Negao
Aleksander Emelianenko vs. Paul Buentello
Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo
Ben Rothwell vs. Andre Arlovski(Rothwell sighned AA rumored)

And of course the MAIN EVENT...

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia...

AFFLICTION BANNED WEBSTIE

So what do ya'all think?

Will the Fedor haters acknowledge that he's that good if he beats a top ten fighter?

Can Rothwell step up to the challenge?

Will Barney get his revenge, or is the Rock making a serious comeback?

Will Babalu kill someone in the ring?

Does Buentello stand a chance agaisnt Aleks E?

Don't know much about Fabio Negao... But hope he puts up a good fight... Shame they couldn't borrow someone from EliteXC's MW div to really test Lindland... (Sorry didn't mean to make that sound like a complaint)

I think I just puked in my mouth a little... This card is that SICK

SOURCE

EDIT: Ahhhh, I just saw that this was posted in the news forum... Sorry about the double post, but I was searching for it in "Other Organizations"... Mods please remove if there's too much reptition
ufcboss
5/13/08 9:39:24AM
Wow this card is KILLER, Im speechless!

If the picks for this are in the secondary league, That worse than Arlovski's prelim fight!

WAR BABALU

WAR ARLOVSKI

AND....

WAR SYLVIA!!!!!!
stock
5/13/08 10:47:00AM
I will remain skeptical until the event starts.
However, if this happens, this will be one of the best cards of the year.

pv3Hpv3p
5/13/08 11:38:36AM

Posted by stock

I can understand being skeptical and don't want to get your hopes up, but the rumors have been floating around a while and this seems like it's a little more set in stone...

The only thing that really worries me is injuries to the fighters... For the smaller orgs with smaller talent pools, it can really ruin the card... The lack of depth seems to make the whole thing a little fragile... So lets not do more than wisper about it for now
Twenty20Dollars
5/13/08 1:04:17PM
yeah i mean its a really good fight card, but when you throw all your top guys on one card you risk having a crappy second card after the first one. because they threw all the top guys on one or unless they sign some other talent quick or wait awhile to have another fight card.

but i am excited for these fights none the less.
hodge
5/13/08 4:14:25PM
Does anyone know how they plan on getting past alek's visa troubles.

and yer if only the UFC could sign the affliction heavyweights it makes me wonder if the fighters are finally starting to fightback over the UFCs crappy paying.
Silent-Sir
5/13/08 4:14:30PM
Oh man I can't wait for this card! This has the potential to be one of the best events of the year.

By the way, is Arlovski now confirmed for the event? Last I heard he was not scheduled to fight.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
5/13/08 5:07:50PM
I think Mark Homminik vs. Savant Young should make the main card.

Justin Levens vs. Ray Lazama <---WTF? Battle of the loosers? Ok, I don't kniw anything about Lazama other than that he has a 5-5 record, but I still chose him over Levens who is just about the worst fighter (who gets big chances) that I have ever seen.
89vision
5/14/08 6:29:13AM
damn solid card...hopefully they all come through

War Rizzo, Fedor, Arlovski, Aleks and Babalu !!!
ncordless
5/14/08 2:09:13PM

Posted by hodge

Does anyone know how they plan on getting past alek's visa troubles.

and yer if only the UFC could sign the affliction heavyweights it makes me wonder if the fighters are finally starting to fightback over the UFCs crappy paying.

Aleks does not have visa troubles. He was under 18 when he was convicted and by law can enter the US.
Pookie
5/14/08 4:03:54PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

yeah i mean its a really good fight card, but when you throw all your top guys on one card you risk having a crappy second card after the first one. because they threw all the top guys on one or unless they sign some other talent quick or wait awhile to have another fight card.

but i am excited for these fights none the less.

Im sure they are going to wait 3 months or so before a new card if another one comes. Its what pride used to do.
The_Ho_Bag
5/14/08 9:16:36PM
if this card pulls through then i honestly believe his would be the best fight card ever.

ATM my fav is the last fight night =]

WAR AA =]
beachbum7568
5/16/08 12:44:14AM
Does anybody know how or where to get presale passwords? i really wanna go because i live close and i want to get tickets as soon as possible!
malibloc
5/16/08 12:59:58AM
afflictionbanned.com and if you bought from them before you get a presale password that begins friday
cmill21
5/16/08 1:16:27AM
I'd like to go to this event, flight + hotel for 1,000 and under isn't to bad.
chubbud22
5/16/08 3:18:45AM

Posted by stock

Its happening believe dat