Affliction: Banned. Best card ever?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Affliction: Banned. Best card ever?
POLL: Affliction:Best MMA Card Ever?
Yes, easily. 18% (7)
No, but the best in years. 32% (12)
No, but still good. 42% (16)
Eh, it's ok. 8% (3)
Terrible. I won't watch. 0% (0)
ObsoleteMan
7/3/08 8:04:37PM
I've heard a lot of people on various boards and some friends of mine talk about how this is the greatest MMA card of all time, and I don't really see it. It has a lot of big names, big names that haven't fought in a while, but the matchmaking is so-so.

Look at the picks overview. All but 1 or 2 fights have underdog bonuses (and one of the two probably might have one soon, since it just went up). Are any of these wins going to move anyone on the rankings? (wins alone. I mean, Barnett'll probably move up if Tim gets slaughtered, but he would've without fighting) Clearly, not many people think these fights are gonna be very close, and isn't that what makes a fight great? The back and forth, the tension because the fight could go either way at any moment, etc. Lop-sided beatings are good for highlight reels, I guess, but I rarely walk away from one thinking "Man, that fight was for the ages."

That said. I'm still buying it, and it's still a lot better than UFN 14:Short Notice. And the next Affliction card should be epic, assuming they match some of the winners up, but just having big names on this one doesn't make it a great card.

So, am I a crazy UFC nut-hugger, or do others feel the same?
TWITA
7/3/08 8:06:48PM

cmill21
7/3/08 8:37:59PM
Best one since Final conflict 2005 IMO.
hotrodttt
7/3/08 8:59:52PM

Posted by cmill21

No Way, Shockwave 04

I just loved Shokewave 04 for some reason and I also remember Bushido 9 as being sick. Final Conflict 05 definatly answered questions
cmill21
7/3/08 9:19:54PM

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by cmill21

No Way, Shockwave 04

I just loved Shokewave 04 for some reason and I also remember Bushido 9 as being sick. Final Conflict 05 definatly answered questions

Oh man we could talk all day about the awsome everts pride put on .
jae_1833
7/3/08 9:44:35PM
I really think Affliction will have to grab all the other Pride standouts and some others from EliteXC, and Strikeforce if they want to really compete with the UFC.....my god Affliction looks like it only has 3 weight classes. How about building up a roster before stating that it's going to be the next Pride. Pride was soo great back in the day because of it's roster (same with UFC today) and the endless match-ups that were available. (Plus the rules rocked except for the lack of elbows, but a fair trade never the less!)
telnights
7/4/08 12:30:59AM
Depends on the person if HWs is your thing then its a good card if it isn't then it will be just a fair card to you. I agree with the TS I think a lot of the fights are very lopsided. The big thing is were do they go from here. Fedor or Tim vs someone else 3-5 months from now. That means be lucky to get 3-4 shows a year. I also don't think their PPV buys are going to be near as good as they are hopping for. I really don't see them last more than 2-3 shows with the money they are paying out.
MMAcca
7/4/08 12:58:51AM
Too many one sided fights and mismatches for me to consider it one of th ebest cards ever.

Sure it's got some big names on it, but big names don't always make good fights.......
Mchubb316
7/4/08 1:32:56AM

Posted by MMAcca

Too many one sided fights and mismatches for me to consider it one of th ebest cards ever.

Sure it's got some big names on it, but big names don't always make good fights.......

I can't say if it is the best card ever, because the fights have not happened yet. On paper, yes they have a lot of top 10 fighters. I wait until the event is over to determine if the card was good or not. For Affliction's sake they better hope this card lives up to the hype, or they will be a short lived promotion.
hotrodttt
7/4/08 1:34:56AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by cmill21

No Way, Shockwave 04

And it wasn't just the Fights, it was the dim of the lights at the beginning and the crazy lady speaking. And Takada and his goons would bang their Taikos to the Pride theme. And I also loved the Music after the Fights over with. Also the platforms that the fighters were announced on were pretty bad ass
EON
7/4/08 1:50:18AM
Critical Countdown 05

UFC 46
Pookie
7/4/08 3:56:59AM
I actually thought UFC 84 was one of the best cards ever... but this card is definitely a must-see.
loller90278
7/4/08 4:51:32AM

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by cmill21

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by cmill21

No Way, Shockwave 04

And it wasn't just the Fights, it was the dim of the lights at the beginning and the crazy lady speaking. And Takada and his goons would bang their Taikos to the Pride theme. And I also loved the Music after the Fights over with. Also the platforms that the fighters were announced on were pretty bad ass

a single tear just rolled down my cheek
ThaAxeMurderer7
7/5/08 12:53:22AM

Posted by Pookie

I actually thought UFC 84 was one of the best cards ever... but this card is definitely a must-see.

UFC 84 had it all. In my opinion it was the greatest card ever.
mikevolz
7/6/08 3:30:01PM
pride 33
Purge
7/6/08 3:42:01PM
Tie between UFC 84 and Mirko's massacre AKA Final conflict absolute
copcopps
7/8/08 9:58:01AM
It sucks, YAMMA was the best and that's a fact

PS this is sarcasm I love the Affliction card however its not the best of all time ;)