Affliction balks at signing ex-UFC heavyweight Werdum

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Affliction balks at signing ex-UFC heavyweight Werdum
MMAcca
11/28/08 5:13:05PM
According to a report by Franklin McNeil of ESPN.com and the Newark Star-Ledger, the camp for Fabricio Werdum approached Affliction Entertainment in an attempt to place the former PRIDE and UFC heavyweight with the organization.

McNeil revealed the news during this week’s edition of MMA Live, which can be viewed on FiveOuncesOfPain.com.

McNeil stated that both sides talked about Werdum joining the promotion and possibly competing on its upcoming “Day of Reckoning” pay-per-view event scheduled for Jan. 24 but that Affliction felt that the numbers discussed were “off the charts.”

LINK
Twenty20Dollars
11/28/08 5:20:25PM
Ha well there is still strikeforce, WVR or DREAM but they havent been paying there fighters.

Im sure Affliction can't afford Werdum when affliction was taking pay cuts.
cmill21
11/28/08 5:26:36PM
I wonder how much he was asking.
nickcuc547
11/28/08 5:29:34PM
heard he was asking too much on mmalive. he must have been asking for a ridiculous amount of money because i would think affliction would want another big name heavyweight.
higdon10
11/28/08 5:39:21PM
Affliction is near death. They don't have any money to spend. Werdum is going to be a good pickup for whoever gets him.
Jim_Dangle
11/28/08 7:43:31PM
A rematch with Aleksander Emelianenko would make sense. Werdum must think he's worth Fedor money or something,
jae_1833
11/28/08 7:55:57PM
Win or lose a fighter is worth more money if he is well known for participating in exciting matches. Now even though Werdum has defeated some great talent, never have I heard a large amount of people talking about what an awesome fight it was the next day. The contrast to it would be Chuck Lidell, who has fights that everyone is talking about for weeks afterwards (even non-hardcore fans). While Chuck hasn't been doing so well lately, he draws the crowd to watch. This is why Tito Ortiz can still ask for (and expect) a lot of money from whoever is dumb enough to sign him.
prozacnation1978
11/28/08 8:28:28PM
maybe when he finds nowhere to land cause everywhere is losing money he will crawl back on his hands and knees to the ufc and take the pay cut
bls1919
11/28/08 9:04:05PM
First off Affliction is profusly spewing moneyand secondly they really don't need another HW. he will be a big pick up for whoever he fights for, but he wont' be getting paid nearly as much. Maybe he can fight Kimbo for 20 large behind a Buger King somewhere.
cmill21
11/28/08 9:10:16PM
Dream or Sengoku will pay him more then the 40k the UFC wanted to pay.
mictlantechutli
11/28/08 10:07:20PM
I considered him a top 10 heavyweight... until he came into that Dos Santos fight looking like he just polished off a six pack and a box of jelly donuts. I wonder if the UFC saw a problem on the horizon because he looked so slow, flat footed, and just generally out of shape for that fight. Hard to blame Affliction, I wouldn't hire a guy that was coming off a fight like that either.
tooly236
11/28/08 11:18:53PM
I have never been that interested in Werdum, he lacks that spark that great fighters have. There is no doubt that he has talent and is top 15, but he would not make or break a card for me.
Twenty20Dollars
11/28/08 11:37:53PM
DREAM i doubt could afford Werdum when DREAM isnt paying there other fighters yet.
higdon10
11/28/08 11:51:57PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

DREAM i doubt could afford Werdum when DREAM isnt paying there other fighters yet.

Yeah. He is def. gonna have to lower his asking price.
Bobby-B-Bonkers
11/28/08 11:58:15PM
werdum vs overeem for the strikeforce hw belt would be interesting, but AO would win

cmill21
11/29/08 12:01:18AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Dream is owned by FEG, which from what I have seen/been told has more funds then Zuffa. There must be a reason for them not paying, it's not being short on money. Think about it, they have a complete monopoly(like the UFC wants) on kickboxing, which in most of europe and Japan is incredibly popular. Also FEG's president can control what gets on a significant amount of Japanese TV. Like the first time eh Bobby?
Bobby-B-Bonkers
11/29/08 1:35:12AM
i think Yakuza control everything over in Japan anyway, they are probably the reason ppl are not getting their money, but even fighters are not that dumb to demand their money from them!
Porch28
11/29/08 8:19:30AM

Posted by cmill21

That can say they will pay him anything he wants. It's actually coming up with the money that's a problem....
cmill21
11/29/08 2:04:18PM

Posted by Porch28

Posted by cmill21

That can say they will pay him anything he wants. It's actually coming up with the money that's a problem....

Again, read my last post, FEG is a giant and they have no money problems that I have heard of.
MMAcca
11/29/08 2:57:48PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Porch28

Posted by cmill21

Again, read my last post, FEG is a giant and they have no money problems that I have heard of.

True.
ohiostate1016
11/29/08 5:30:47PM
I'm pretty sure that Werdum will end up back in the UFC for at least one more undercard fight, probably against somebody like Hardonk or Sanchez. If he wins, then he may get another shot. If he loses, then he's headed to Wild Bill's with Bobby Southworth and Patrick Smith.
MMAcca
11/29/08 5:36:25PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

I'm pretty sure that Werdum will end up back in the UFC for at least one more undercard fight, probably against somebody like Hardonk or Sanchez. If he wins, then he may get another shot. If he loses, then he's headed to Wild Bill's with Bobby Southworth and Patrick Smith.

He's been cut already.