Anyone got any advice for a former wrestler who keeps giving up his back in BJJ?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Anyone got any advice for a former wrestler who keeps giving up his back in BJJ?
ncordless
8/11/07 1:14:41PM
I keep giving up my back in BJJ. Are there any wrestlers who have trained in BJJ out there who have gone thru the same thing and can give me any advice.

I know I am not supposed to turn from my opponent, but eight years of training is hard to break.
Biggieb
8/11/07 1:52:40PM
I have the same problem. You're right it's hard to break that habit, but I just keep on trying. Practice closed guard more, and escaping from the bottom. You Tube has a lot of great videos for mma and especially escaping and passing guards.
cmill21
8/11/07 4:21:37PM
Keep your chin down, and keep moving(avoid letting them get their hooks in)
tommyprairie
8/23/07 10:32:25PM
Try starting to use "junk" wrestling defenses which if they work you are in mount, if not you are on your back. Lock and Key, Monkey roll, cement mixers, and front head rolls. These all translate well and it will help break the habit
DMcCabe11
8/24/07 2:44:55PM
giving up your back sucks but its not that big of a problem...as long as you do not let the person on you back get their hooks in and if they keep working to get their hooks u should be able to find a mistake where you can shuck them off or grab their leg and pull them off your back