any advice for naga

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » any advice for naga
HMA123
3/30/08 5:49:34PM
i have a NAGA coming up next week, ive been training pretty good, 3 times a week in class then i do some workouts and some cardio at home an stuff, jiujitsu is good, but is there anything i would need to know or prepare for in the las week or training
fullerene
3/30/08 10:03:08PM
Good luck. Are you doing gi, no-gi or both?

I don't think you can learn any new technique in a week--I'd just go with what you know. I think the thing that might be helpful is to look at the format and rules and decide on your strategy--what weight and skill level you want to compete at*, whether you are going to do gi or no-gi, and maybe some strategies like whether you are going to pull guard against a stronger wrestler or let yourself fall into guard against a weaker one.

Study the rules, especially how they differ from gi and no-gi (such as "near sub" points in no-gi).

Make sure you do some sparring/rondori from your feet, not just starting back to back or on your knees like some BJJ schools do for convenience during class.

*NAGA has a lot of very good competitors and some sandbag, but they also allow you to compete in the next division down if you lose in the opening round

StevenSeagal
3/30/08 10:29:29PM
I've competed in 3 NAGA tourney's in dirty Jerz. The way the rules work is that it favors wrestlers and the takedown. Focus on takedown defense and takedowns in general. You'll see a lot of wrestling squads with their head gear, wresting shoes and all that... They do quite well because the NAGA rounds don't last long, and if they can score a couple of takedowns and reversals and then chill for the rest of the round they win. I personally dont like the NAGA time setup. But then again who is going to Brazil competing in a no time limit submission fight? lol.

So besides basic skills that all should know, Id also focus on what I said above. Hope it helps. Let me know how u did bro.
HMA123
3/30/08 11:18:15PM
yeah im no doing no gi, im 17 so ill be in teens i weigh about 160ish, and im not even sure about a strategy yet, but any advice for my little bro, hes 14 hes jiujitsu is good, hes doing no gi and weighs about 130, i try giving hi advice but accourse he dont listen lol
fullerene
3/31/08 7:50:26AM

Posted by HMA123

yeah im no doing no gi, im 17 so ill be in teens i weigh about 160ish, and im not even sure about a strategy yet, but any advice for my little bro, hes 14 hes jiujitsu is good, hes doing no gi and weighs about 130, i try giving hi advice but accourse he dont listen lol

There are a few special rules in the younger divisions:
NO HEEL HOOKS allowed in the KIDS & TEEN divisions.
NO SLAMMING from the Guard allowed in any of the KIDS & TEEN divisions.
NO NECK CRANKS ALLOWED

http://www.nagafighter.com/naga_rules.asp