Need advice with BJJ

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Need advice with BJJ
johny_rotten
6/20/07 10:44:17PM
This sounds dumb, but it is a serious problem, and I am curious if it happens to anyone else. When I am trying to finish a triangle or arm bar I squeeze my legs together to apply pressure, and my cup is putting so much pressure on my thighs 9 out of 10 times I have to give up the move because I am in more pain than who I am trying to tap. I have tried a few different cups, and still the same story. Anyone experience anything like this?
richieb19
6/20/07 11:00:25PM
I don't use cups...
mma4life
6/20/07 11:08:24PM
no man
loller90278
6/21/07 12:48:25AM
u sure got some balls!
try getting a different cup cuz thats not supposed to happen
johny_rotten
6/21/07 1:04:47AM

Posted by loller90278

u sure got some balls!
try getting a different cup cuz thats not supposed to happen

Pretty sure most day. It depends if the girlfriend has belittled me yet.

Seriously though it is very annoying. the worst part is I can get a triangle on just about everyone. I am 6'1'' with a 36'' inseam. I have tried many differint cups. Let me ask a stupid question; where does every one have the waste line of the jock strap? I am thinking maybe if I put it up to my belly button it won't happen.
MisFiT
6/21/07 1:10:37AM
You arent supposed to pinch your legs together lol. Or wear a Cup for BJJ really.
cincyassasin
6/21/07 8:49:32AM
I would have to say I agree....your not supposed to "squeeze" your legs together, you rotate your top leg away from your opponent, other than that you may want to look for a cup with the gel or soft rubber sides they're really comfortable and there is very little restriction and friction.
fedorwins1
6/21/07 11:58:19AM

Posted by MisFiT

You arent supposed to pinch your legs together lol. Or wear a Cup for BJJ really.

Not wear a cup? Have you ever tried and armbar without a cup on ouch....
Mastodon2
6/21/07 12:57:23PM
When I was doing Judo I did dozens of armbars without incident, we were taught to pinch the elbow inbetween our knees and push up with our hips and pull the hand towards our chest, maximum leverage is achieved this way, I dont know how you are doing armbars, but if his arm is anywhere near your groin you wont be able to get maximum leverage.
MisFiT
6/21/07 1:00:56PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by MisFiT

Nah I've never been nut smashed in an Armbar, well kinda sometimes. But I guess i'm just the shit like that.
richieb19
6/21/07 1:41:16PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by MisFiT

It's not so bad, I've never worn a cup in Judo, and I've never come close to hurting my nuts... I dropped somebody with a failed TomoeNage once though, kinda felt bad but couldn't help laughing...
fullerene
6/21/07 3:39:37PM
I don't wear a cup when I roll and I hate it when other people do (it makes armbars unnaturally effective IMO).

Some people like them and I don't say anything because I guess they are in charge of their own safety, but I've never had any problems not wearing one and I can't think of anyone who puts one on to work out in no-gi grappling.
danski
6/30/07 8:21:27AM
I don't wear a cup ...i think your squeezing your legs too much you need to get your hips involved more.
MattHughes
6/30/07 3:09:30PM
Yeah it's weird some people hate rolling with people who don't wear cups and some people hate rolling with people who do wear cups...can't please em all I guess, I'm new to BJJ but I havn't worn a cup yet.
bayonetxwork
7/1/07 4:18:24PM

Posted by MisFiT

Bjj no. Submission wrestling yes. I took a whizzer to the nuts a few days ago because I left my cup at home, and that hurt so bad.
RicardoAlmeida_1
7/2/07 5:40:58PM
i dont wear a cup and i do bjj i have never got kneed there eather