I would like your advice, please!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » I would like your advice, please!
Van_Eagan
4/11/08 12:55:56AM
I'm a newbie to this forum, and a newbie in general when it comes to mixed martial arts. My blessing and my curse is that I live in Orange County California (Irvine), where there are a ton of academies to choose from. My blessing is that there is a large selection of academies, my curse is that I'm totally confused as to which academy I should join.

Since I'm so new to this sport, I could sure use your advice when it comes to choosing an academy or patricular style of martial arts. Should I choose an academy that focuses on one style of martial arts, or an academy that teaches multiple disciplines. Here are a few academies I'm interested in joining.

Orange County Muay Thai - I'm going to check them out tomorrow. From everything I've heard or read, they sound impressive. However, they only focus on Muay Thai.

Orange County Judo Training Center - I still need to visit the academy, but it sounds like a well run academy. They appear to integrate judo and BJJ, however, I'm not sure how detailed their BJJ class is. They seem to focus primarily on Judo, and no classes that teach striking.

Subfighter - They teach multiple disciplines, such as; mma, muay thai, and bjj. However, I'm not sure they are as technical or experienced as some of the other academies that specialize on only one discipline.

I could join two clubs, but that would be rather expensive. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

drunkel
4/11/08 8:25:06AM
I'd train in Judo, if not here are some factors to consider:
Price
Location, how long has the school been there? Long term?
How many times a week to you plan on going?
Do they offer classes when you are open/free to go?
Instructors
Class sizes
Gym cleanliness
Each of the gyms should offer an introductory free class also.
Don't sign a contract first thing, pay in cash for a couple of months before you get locked into something. You can always negotiate fees if you pay up front also.

Buy a good, not great, judo gi ($50-60) wash it and the belt (so you don't look like a complete newb). The reason I say Judo gi is you can wear it both in judo and bjj classes. Bjj gis are cut a little tighter.

Judo you learn how to fall, throw, choke and lock, a great base to start with. You may be able to find some strikers at the judo school.
I've done all three, judo, MT and bjj, judo will always be my favorite.

My 2 cents.

Van_Eagan
4/12/08 2:42:49AM
Thanks a lot for the tips drunkel. I didn't realize there's so much to consider.

Thanks again bro.
Omega
4/12/08 3:29:06AM
There's a lot more than that in the area. What kind of training are you looking for anyway. In other words what are your goals? If you're looking to compete, if you're looking for hobby sake. I live a few hours north and realize there's a plethora of gyms. From what you've given me I'd go to the submission gym but I'm a no gi type of guy.
Van_Eagan
4/12/08 9:17:46PM
Hi Omega,

First, thanks for the response.

"What kind of training are you looking for anyway. In other words what are your goals? "

Yeah, that was the problem. There are so many different disciplines to choose from that I didn't know what kind of training to start with. I guess the bottom line is that I would like my training to be well rounded. I guess my initial plan was to take Muay Thai, and BJJ or MMA. However, drunkel made a very good point about Judo. Further, I wasn't sure if I should go with an academy that teaches only one discipline or one that teaches the whole shabang, (bjj, muay thai, boxing, mma, kickboxing, etc). I've followed drunkel advice and tried to compare the teachers in each academy, as well as looking at how long the gym has been established.

So far, I like what I've seen from OC Muay Thai. I had a chance to meet with the owner, Dave. He's a great guy, and he seems to understand what new students face when joining a gym. However, they only teach Muay Thai, and if I want to take Judo, MMA, or something else I would have to join another gym. Besides the time conflicts that would arise, joining two gyms will get expensive. Nevertheless, OC Muay Thai has peaked my interest.

I'm not really looking to compete, although I won't say it's out of the question for the future. I would say that I'm looking to stay in shape, but I am also serious about the sport.

bayonetxwork
4/13/08 6:47:50PM

Posted by Van_Eagan

Hi Omega,

First, thanks for the response.

"What kind of training are you looking for anyway. In other words what are your goals? "

Yeah, that was the problem. There are so many different disciplines to choose from that I didn't know what kind of training to start with. I guess the bottom line is that I would like my training to be well rounded. I guess my initial plan was to take Muay Thai, and BJJ or MMA. However, drunkel made a very good point about Judo. Further, I wasn't sure if I should go with an academy that teaches only one discipline or one that teaches the whole shabang, (bjj, muay thai, boxing, mma, kickboxing, etc). I've followed drunkel advice and tried to compare the teachers in each academy, as well as looking at how long the gym has been established.

Once again, it comes down to what your goals are. Do you plan competing in MMA, Muay Thai, BJJ, or what? Once you can answer that definitively it'll make it that much easier to choose what gym to go to. Also, other important information that would help to make a decision would be how old you are, what your current level of health is, etc. If your younger, I'd start off with going to the Judo club you talked about. If time is on your side, it is much better to get a strong background in one discipline and then evolve your game from there(I chose grappling because imo grappling takes longer to "learn" rather than striking. yes, I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but hey just giving my 2 cents.)

In addition check out No Limits MMA Gym in Irvine, a couple TUF alumni currently train there. There are also tons more in the area I believe. I'm not from around there so I can't say how close all of these are, but check this link out too: http://www.fightfind.com/mtree/Academies_&_Gyms/United_States/California/
it is a listing of all MMA related academies in california.

hope it helps.
Van_Eagan
4/14/08 5:35:32AM
What's up bayonetxwork,

Thanks for your response. I have finally figured out what I'm going to do thanks to the responses I've received, (your's included), Also, thanks for your link. I was looking for a site that rated the different academies. By the way, I hope no one flames on you. You're just giving advice to help a newbie out (me). I hope I can return the same favor to another poster some day.

Anyway, thanks one and all for your help. This is why I decided to join this forum, everyone gives great advice and has a different opinion. I really do appreciate it.

Van Eagan
Jackelope
4/14/08 2:02:41PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

I chose grappling because imo grappling takes longer to "learn" rather than striking. yes, I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but hey just giving my 2 cents

FLAME! FLAME! FLAME!

drunkel
4/15/08 8:38:28AM
Van,
Let us know what you choose and your reviews of the schools you go try out.

Good luck and have fun.
Van_Eagan
4/17/08 1:48:41AM
What's up Drunkel,

I've decided to join Gracie Barra's academy, and OC Muay Thai academy. I was going to join a judo academy, but scheduling conflicts wouldn't let me do it.

The reason why I chose Gracie Barra's academy was because they are well established, and everyone I talked to seemed extremely pleased with their experience with the academy. Further, they are moving in a couple weeks to a huge building in Irvine (where I live). So there will be plenty of mat space, lots of ventilation, and a number of classes. In fact, someone told me that it's going to be the biggest jiu jitsu gym in the U.S. I took an introductory lesson from a really great guy, (Eli), and was hooked. The only negative was the price, but I think it'll be worth it.

Orange County Muay Thai academy has a small gym. If you blink, you might miss it. Nevertheless, I like the facilities. The instructor, Dave, is great. I'm really excited about learning from him. However, I heard that he will really put through hell, which is cool. From my perspective, I think I picked the two best gyms for what I want to accomplish.

Thanks again for your input drunkel. I'll let you know how things progress...That is If I survive.

Take care drunkel,

Van Eagan