What Are the ADCCs and Why Should You Care?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What Are the ADCCs and Why Should You Care?
Poor_Franklin
9/22/11 12:24:48AM
The Abu Dhabi Combat Club (ADCC) Submission Wrestling Championship is the super-elite, invitation only competition in which the best of the best get worked over by the true apex predators of the grappling world. In short, the ADCCs are perhaps the closest thing that we will ever publicly see to the no holds barred tournament from Enter the Dragon. Incredibly wealthy backer with extensive martial arts experience? Check. The hundred best grapplers in the world? Check. A trip to a far-off location for a two day long tournament? Check. Big prizes to the winners? Check. Unfortunately, Bolo Yeung will likely not be present.

With such a large group of the strongest competitors in submission grappling being invited to the ADCCs, the weight class championships are highly respected and the winner of the Absolute division has a very good case to be acclaimed as the Greatest Grappler on the Planet.

Some of the finest ground game wizards in MMA today like Fabricio Werdum, Demian Maia, Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza, Ricardo Arona and Roger Gracie are gold medal winning champions at these competitions and have brought their skills into MMA to our general enjoyment as well. In years past, MMA stars like Georges St-Pierre, Mark Kerr, Tito Ortiz, Matt Hughes, Diego Sanchez, Urijah Faber, Vitor Belfort, Jake Shields, Ricardo Arona, Josh Barnett, Chris Weidman, Hayato "Mach" Sakurai and Shinya Aoki have competed (with varying amounts of success). Gracie legends like Renzo and his cousin Royler dominated their weight classes in the early tournaments. Eddie Bravo made his career by triangle choking Royler in 2003. In that same year, Marcelo Garcia, perhaps the greatest pound for pound grappler in the recent history of the sport, became a 19 year old champion and began his decade of world dominance. However, it is the Absolute champions who receive the lion's share of the glory. Braulio Estima capped off his 2009 season - perhaps the finest year of any grappler not named Roger Gracie - by winning the ADCC Absolute championship. This year, in a Superfight, Braulio will be facing Jacare Souza, the 2009 Superfight champion in a highly anticipated match. Jacare has confirmed that he will be present and ready to regain the taste of victory after narrowly losing his Strikeforce middleweight title to Luke Rockhold.

bloodyelbow

if you don't know, now you know
prophecy033
9/22/11 1:00:01AM
I got a few of the best of's on dvd. I got the one where Tito and Matt Hughes meet (tito wins) and I also have the one where Eddie Bravo submitted Royler Gracie with a triangle. I love BJJ