Is anyone actually excited to see Brock Lesnar in the UFC?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Is anyone actually excited to see Brock Lesnar in the UFC?
Next Page »
TimW001
10/25/07 11:58:42PM
I mean yea, we know they guy has a lot of wrestling skill. He's also very experienced, strong and big. But the guy has one fight in MMA and it was against someone who...well I've never heard of him.

There is Fedor, Arona, Gomi, Aoki, Barnett, Diaz, Lawler, Mayhem, and so many other great fighter not in the UFC that should be. And they sign Brock Lesnar, a guy who used to be in Professional Wrestling. Is this what the UFC really needs? Another wrestler?

So is anyone actually happy to see this guy fight in the UFC?
wagere
10/26/07 12:01:51AM
I don't know remains to be seen but I'm alittle interested.
Basshandsome
10/26/07 12:10:04AM
I am with you man. I am actually kinda sick to see him in the UFC after only one fight. I thought you were suppost to prove yourself before you got into UFC? I guess they are looking for publicity instead of good fighters. If he had got a couple wins under his belt, then i think it would be fine. Until then I dont want to see him in the UFC.
cmill21
10/26/07 12:41:12AM
Him beating a guy who was triangled by Semmy Schilt gives him nothing.
Californiastrangler
10/26/07 1:07:06AM
Actually he beat an almost seven foot tall olympian. Brock Lesnar isn't just some wrestler, he's an NCAA heavyweight champion. That's something only a few other MMA athlete's can claim. He is athletic enough that he almost made an NFL team even though he never played football in college. One of his finishing moves in pro-wrestling is called the Shooting Star Press, an inverted back-flip from the top rope. Do you think that there are any other current heavyweights with that kind of athleticism? Are any of them 260lbs? Im not saying that the guy is the next big thing, but he definitely has the potential to be. He's fairly young, incredibly strong and athletic, and is potentially more marketable than any current MMA stars. I am very excited to see Brock Lesnar in the UFC and would not be suprised to see him with the title within the next two or three years.
Jackelope
10/26/07 2:54:13AM
Brock's got the potential to be something good. I don't know if he ever will truly reach that potential, but I believe it is there. I'm mildly excited to see what he brings to the octagon.

As far as the other stuff goes about proving yourself I couldn't agree more. I think it's a shame and it's all part of that respect stuff Couture has been talking about. When you put more money into someone's image than you do their sacrifice, that's insulting.
Rich78
10/26/07 5:13:15AM
I'm definately interested to see him in UFC yeah, but I don't like his attitude, and fear he will do very well there.

But I agree that there are other top fighters who I would have gladly had before him, however, Dana isn't stupid (well, occasionally) and he knows that signing an ex-WWE wrestler will bring over some extra fans to MMA.
Mastodon2
10/26/07 6:54:00AM
We know Brock has great wrestling, but he has not left himself long to get a top notch striking or submission game. I am quite excited to see him in UFC, even if it does set a bad example of celebs fighting when they havn't earned a right to be there.

He is huge, and very strong, so he will be able to ground a lot of big HWs and pound them out, I certainly think he could have been a bad match up for Randy simply because of his power. However, he presents a threat to others like Cro Cop, at least for as long as Cro Cop continues to bumble as he settles in, If Cro Cop comes out looking like the Cro Cop we used to know Brock will be leaving on a stretcher. Or Two, if they can't fit him on one stretcher. I think Nogueira will expose Brock's underdeveloped submission game, but then I also think Nogueira is, and has been since he signed, the best HW in UFC. I would not mind seeing Arlovski fight Brock, but with Arlovski's current situation, I'm not sure we'll even see him in the UFC again. I think Andrei's sambo and heavy hands could make a goofd challenge for Brock.

Until we see him fight someone who doesn't fall over and tap out after a couple of light GnP strikes we really don't know what Brock is made of. His size and strength, coupled with actual wrestling ability might have him winning some fights, but I think unless he works really hard to get a decent striking game and some submission offence and defence his weak points will be exploited. Even with as much progress as he could possibly make in the next few years, I think Nogueira will dominate him with his BJJ, Andrei with Strking and Sambo to some degree, and Cro Cop with his Striking (providing he gets his fire back)
Stickan
10/26/07 8:53:20AM
I'm excited. I wanna see what all the fuzz is about.
waylon_o
10/26/07 9:10:31AM
I'm stoked to see him in the UFC!!! He's one of the best wrestlers there is, maybe even the best in the UFC now. Why would you not want to see him in the UFC? I know he only has 1 MMA fight, but he makes up for that with wrestling experience. They will groom him...it's not like he's gonna take someone on for the title in his first fight. The dude on team Hughes that lost the other night ( I can't remember his name) had only 1 fight, and according to Mac Danzig's blog it was a pankration match on high school mats with no strikes to the head. Why give this guy a chance if you don't give Lesnar a chance? There are lots of guys on TUF through the seasons that had only 1 fight without anywhere near the credentials and potential that Lesnar has. I say the UFC is lucky to have him.
woodmo
10/26/07 9:27:50AM
I'm not so much excited as I am intrigued by his potential and size..... I am wondering about steroids though. I believe they are fairly prevalent in "Pro" Wrestling.
keith-hackney1
10/26/07 9:29:02AM
it really depends how the ufc market him, if brock is to be working his way up from the bottom, fighting guys like wellish and brad imes, there wont be a huge fan base formed for lesnar straight off the bat, but as he improves and starts to beat tougher opponants, as im sure he will, one day i see him being the ufc's best investment and holding the belt. Im sure thats dana's intensions.
CornishMMA
10/26/07 9:42:58AM
I wish people would stop bitching about how he is only 1-0 against such a poor opponent ffs! Its how he performed in that fight that shows his potential, he wrecked Min Soo Kim and you could tell how hard he hits in the GnP

All the fighters mentioned are obviously proven better mma fighters but the UFc are doing some smart business getting a big PPV draw and maybe stealing some fans from WWE

Im excited to see him fight cos he has the potential to be HW champ, wrestling is the best base and his sheer size and strength makes him very interesting
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/26/07 9:48:40AM
As you guys could read in my previous posts i'm not a big fan of wrestlers doing the crossover to the UFC, or internet fighters at that same extent. anyways no not really excited about Lesnar, but who knows, he might bring an awsome show, ya never know.
nubby
10/26/07 10:47:56AM
I'd like to see him fight Tim Sylvia so he can feel what its like to have some huge dude put his weight on you for 2 rounds then hit your face in the third round when you can barely hold your arms up due to muscle fatigue.
Salty
10/26/07 12:01:12PM
I can't wait to see him fight in the UFC, back when I was into wrestling I was at a WWE event and he fought in a dark match before the show, and I couldn't believe how big he was, not only is this a smart move for the UFC with people who where fans of Lesnar back when he was in the WWE they will probobly buy the PPV just to see him fight. I seriously think he will be a forced to be reckoned with, theres a reason he was called the next big thing in the WWE.
-RiK-
10/26/07 2:42:13PM
i was a huge fan of his athletic ability and work ethic in the WWE. as well as his strength and determination to get to the top... it worked in highschool/college/uni for amateur wrestling, and he headlined his first ever wrestlemania.. WWE's biggest show of the year after being there less than a year. i've never seen that done before, yeah, wrestling's fake... but that's one hell of a determined man.

i can't wait to see him in the UFC, infact i'd rather see him fight than watch fedor fight in the UFC, that's how excited i am! :D
Lay_N_Pray
10/26/07 4:27:22PM
I think everyone should be excited about. Why you ask?

Be excited to see him use his explosivness and athleticism

or better yet...

Be excited to see him get his ass handed to him on a silver platter by the likes of Arlovski or Gonzaga
jocksmall
10/26/07 7:12:06PM

Posted by TimW001

I mean yea, we know they guy has a lot of wrestling skill. He's also very experienced, strong and big. But the guy has one fight in MMA and it was against someone who...well I've never heard of him.

There is Fedor, Arona, Gomi, Aoki, Barnett, Diaz, Lawler, Mayhem, and so many other great fighter not in the UFC that should be. And they sign Brock Lesnar, a guy who used to be in Professional Wrestling. Is this what the UFC really needs? Another wrestler?

So is anyone actually happy to see this guy fight in the UFC?

sure i am why not he is huge and from what i have read some top guys are saying alot of good things about him.
plus u no the ufc is going to market him to the wwe fans
jgtribbett
10/27/07 12:30:46PM

Posted by cmill21

Him beating a guy who was triangled by Semmy Schilt gives him nothing.

hahaha thats pretty funny, and true... b ut i'm still interested to see waht he can do
sweeptheleg99
10/27/07 1:47:56PM
At first I really wasn't. I watched the WWF as a kid but have not kept up with it over the last 20 years, so I am unfamiliar with him.

But the more I see his interviews and just from his sheer size, I really can't wait to see him match up with the UFC HWs....Sylvia, AA, Eilers, Herring, McGee...he would give them all problems. His only real X factors early on would be his lack of cage experience and striking.

And on a side note,,,I just started posting here mainly because I am sick of the Sherdog forums. You guys thinks the MMA Playground Forums are better/more actual MMA discussion??
hathcock32
10/27/07 4:29:18PM
I think Brock will be unbeatable in a year or so.
hathcock32
10/27/07 4:31:34PM
Eilers AA Sylvia Mcgee what is this 2003
TheHitmanTL
10/27/07 7:38:44PM
i cant wait to see this guy...hes a HUGE threat to any fighter in the MMA world with his size alone
sweeptheleg99
11/1/07 4:08:02PM

Posted by hathcock32

Eilers AA Sylvia Mcgee what is this 2003

Alright...beside the above mentioned, who else has ANYTHING for Lesner in the current UFC HW landscape? He would smother Vera......the only fights I see Lesner really having any problems with at this point would be Nog and maybe Gonzaga.

All he would need to do with the rest (Kongo, Cro Cop) is close the gap to neutralize their striking, take them down and out wrestle them. And I'm not even a big lesner fan, but the guy is huge and has great wrestling....we'll see how that playes out.
Ultimate_fighter
11/1/07 8:46:16PM
Lesnar is such a good wreslter and his boxing is goin good he said, so i am so excited to see him fight in the big leagues! I hope he becomes a hw champ... looking forward for angle to come into the ufc, if he can, i think he would get slaughtered eventually, but i would like to see how good he would do...
TheHitmanTL
11/1/07 11:32:12PM
i am damn well excited to see this big ass mofo whoop some ass
Franklinfan47
11/2/07 9:56:31AM
I want to see what this guy is made of in the octagon. I used to watch him in the wwe and he always impressed me.
BigEvil
11/2/07 5:59:15PM
It's always exciting to see a physical specimen with a lot of potential. Whether you like him or not it will be fun to root for him to loose or to root for him to win. I perfer the latter to the former simply because the more talented fighters the UFC has the better in my opinion.
Sam_Rothstein
11/3/07 6:20:30AM
I will give him points for lasting longer in MMA then he did in the NFL

I just don't see there being that many fights in the UFC that brock could win
Pages: [1] 2