Does anyone actually compete in MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Does anyone actually compete in MMA?
Taylor8766
5/10/10 7:04:00PM
Hey I am currently thinking about competeing in MMA of course I still have a but of training left to do, I have been training for a couple months and love it and lately I have been really interesed in actually competing, and I was just wondering if anyone else has had thoughts of competing or actually does compete, just a few questiong I have, like: how long should I train before I start to compete? I know I have to be well rounded but what would be better to have in my first fight a standing game or ground game? and do I need to get a license to fight?
AchillesHeel
5/10/10 7:54:52PM
The "MMA Training" section of the forum is probably where you want to go.
CwB
5/10/10 8:01:29PM
First let me say that I do not compete in MMA, so I cant answer all your questions, But.
The best person to ask about, when your first MMA fight should be, is the guy training you. Your coach will be able to gage your skill set and determine if your ready or not.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/10/10 8:21:04PM
It's pretty much one of those deals when both you and your coach will know when you're ready. Depending on how good or bad the promotions are in your immediate area you may be able to pick a couple of confidence boosters sooner rather than later. I wouldn't rush anything, though.
Cruz
6/17/10 3:04:02AM
I have been competing in MMA for about 12 years now. I've trained under Chuck Liddell for 12 years and John Hackleman for 8 of those years, amongst others. I don't tell you this to brag but to give credibility to my insight. These other guys giving you advice are spot on. As long as your trainer is credible, he will be able to let you know when you're ready. Since you make it seem like you have no knowledge of MMA yet, you might not be able to tell if your coach is legit. Finding out if he is a legit coach can be hard but an important step.

Cruz Gomez

www.slokickboxing.net
www.icemanfightgear.com
BlueSkiesBurn
6/17/10 3:22:59AM
Awesome advice, glad to have you on the forum.
bjj1605
6/20/10 6:53:58PM
I don't fight but I train with a lot of good fighters and I compete in BJJ (bart palaszewski, jeff curran, pat curran, nate mohr, and plenty of local guys).

I would say that you should have minimum of 6 months of training under your belt before you even think about competing. Most importantly get plenty of hours sparring and rolling at your gym. Like was said before, if you've got a decent trainer he'll know if you're ready.

As far as what's better to start with, grappling or striking, that depends on your skills, your opponents skills, your gym's specialty, and your specific game plan for the fight. There's no one size fits all answer but I'll say this. Even the best striker can get hit with a lucky punch. We saw that with Todd Duffe. No matter how much better you are standing you're still in a neutral position. On the ground you can dictate the fight if you're the better grappler. BJJ and Grappling in general allow you to control your opponent and stifle his offense in a way that striking never can. So I'd always take it to the mat if I had the chance.

I've thought about fighting MMA myself. I've competed in several BJJ competitions and always placed between 1st and 3rd. I've been training for about 3years and I wrestled a little in high school. The only reason I haven't already is because I'm a full time student with a full time job and a 2 year old daughter at home.
decken
7/25/10 1:26:37PM
I have been training for 2 years now and have three amateur fights(3-0).

It seems that most amateur fighters, especially ones making there debut, got into the sport because they want to punch someone in the face. So they spend the majority of their time training boxing or kick boxing, so they can KO some punk. They completely neglect their ground game.

So here is why you should train primarily wresting and BJJ:

98% of amateur fights go to the ground.

What most amateur fighters don't realize is they are not going to become the iceman overnight but they could work their ass off and be tapping people left and right in 6 months.

Using this information you can just make the majority of you amateur career a replay of UFC 1. Stand up fighter wants to punch you in the face. Fight goes to the ground, you tap out the stand up fighter.

So next you will ask : What happens if I can not take down my opponent and he is punching me in the face?

Amateur fighters do not follow game plans.

Even if you go up against a stand up fighter that you can not take down most likely you will still win. Because after the stand up fighter rocks you and you are down on the mat he will inevitably try to finish you right there and follow you to the ground, where you will sub him. I have seen this some may times it is not even funny.