Are Action Movies Becoming Boring To MMA Fans.

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Are Action Movies Becoming Boring To MMA Fans.
gsquat
2/4/08 6:07:36PM
I've been watching MMA and action films since I was a kid, but over the past few years I haven't been able to watch an action movie with a fight scene and not go, "Oh, come on! He'd be out after that!" I know. Just watch it, enjoy it, and shut up right. Well I just can't. After really knowing how fights really go and what would end a fight, I just find most fight scenes too cheesy. Anyone find themselves doing the same? Kinda upset by it? I miss being naive.
Rush
2/4/08 6:09:53PM
Not so much action movies, but I appreciate martial arts movies a lot less now. I can't say for sure if it is because of maturity or being explosed to MMA or real martial arts in general. I think it's probably safer to say that it's a combination of the two.

DCRage
2/4/08 6:12:55PM
It really hasn't made a difference to me. I still am a huge fan of martial arts movies though, the effects are amazing and I still appreciate the "art" portion of it.
fedorwins1
2/4/08 6:16:51PM
I don't really like the "stereotypical" action movies(Steven Seagal) , but I like the Tony Jaa movies(Ong Bak).
Bemin
2/4/08 8:15:01PM
Check out this scene from the movie "Flashpoint", it may make you a fan of Action Movies again.

Link
Rush
2/4/08 8:17:54PM

Posted by fedorwins1

I don't really like the "stereotypical" action movies(Steven Seagal) , but I like the Tony Jaa movies(Ong Bak).

what's the difference?
loller90278
2/5/08 12:56:04AM
getting a little of topic but
did anyone see jackie chan pull off an armbar in rush hour 3 ?
Boo_Radley21
2/5/08 1:11:19AM

Posted by loller90278

getting a little of topic but
did anyone see jackie chan pull off an armbar in rush hour 3 ?

Haha or Stone Cold pulling off an armbar in the condemned?
cmill21
2/5/08 1:13:53AM
Die hard....nuff said.
Mastodon2
2/5/08 2:21:03AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by fedorwins1

what's the difference?

Steven Seagal makes (imo) cheesy, trite crap over and over again, whereas Tony Jaa makes movies that capture the true form and spirit of Muay Thai. I can't watch a Seagal movie without gagging, but I could watch Jaa's films all day. I could sit there and say "Oh yeah no need for this awesome combo, that first clean kick would have floored that guy", but its visually impressive so I suspend my knowledge of reality a little bit to enjoy the movie. I also enjoy hong kong martial arts movies, which while they are less about pure technique and more about amazingly sequenced and choreographed stunts and fight scenes, are still very visually impressive, even if they do overdo the whole "Getting punched in the face, flying 10 feet through the air and crashing through a table" kinda thing.

I enjoy martial arts movies, they are just easy, fun viewing. I like films that challenge me, ask me questions or emotionally move me, but there are times when I like to switch off and just watch Stallone shoot the crap out of everything with an M60!
pv3Hpv3p
2/5/08 2:26:36PM
Action movies are still good to me... It's kinda like when someone uses the, "It just wasn't realistic enough for me" angle... It's a movie, and IMO you get what you paid for... If you want to watch a flick with good action, check out John Rambo cleaning out an entire batallion with a 50 cal... now that's good stuff
AchillesHeel
2/5/08 2:54:42PM
Don't discount the possibility that a lot of action films just suck, all on their own.
Gladiator
2/5/08 3:03:43PM

Posted by Bemin

Check out this scene from the movie "Flashpoint", it may make you a fan of Action Movies again.

Link

Wow props for that! awesome fight scene!

I know what ur talking about when u say that martial arts movies just arent the same anymore. I love tony jaa movies, especially The Protector, but movies like The Matrix Reloaded, Crank, The One, The Transporter 1 & 2, ect... just dont do it for me like they used to. The whole time im just thinking "why dont they just shoot-in on the guy?" or "why arent you throwing knees in the clinch?" and stuff like that. i realize that its just a movie, but its not as cool when u know the stuff they are doing wouldnt really work and what they could be doing would make more sense. Ill have to check Flashpoint out, thats the best fight scene ive seen i awhile, good display of knowledgable mixed martial arts. i also like The Protector because it has a lot of style style scenes in it.
gsquat
2/5/08 3:53:40PM

Posted by Gladiator

Posted by Bemin

Link

Wow props for that! awesome fight scene!

I know what ur talking about when u say that martial arts movies just arent the same anymore. I love tony jaa movies, especially The Protector, but movies like The Matrix Reloaded, Crank, The One, The Transporter 1 & 2, ect... just dont do it for me like they used to. The whole time im just thinking "why dont they just shoot-in on the guy?" or "why arent you throwing knees in the clinch?" and stuff like that. i realize that its just a movie, but its not as cool when u know the stuff they are doing wouldnt really work and what they could be doing would make more sense. Ill have to check Flashpoint out, thats the best fight scene ive seen i awhile, good display of knowledgable mixed martial arts. i also like The Protector because it has a lot of style style scenes in it.

Thats good stuff. Movies like the Matrix are different though. The Matrix explains why people are able to do the things that they are. If Matrix-like conditions were possible, it would make things like kung fu and karate a lot more effective. But I do agree prettymuch anything with Jason Statham or Jet Li is hard to watch. Even Fight Club seemed far fetched. My biggest pet peeve is people just standing there taking a huge shot across the jaw, never even trying to avoid it. And when it hits they arent out cold. Wtf is up with that?
fedorwins1
2/5/08 7:14:50PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by fedorwins1

what's the difference?

Steven Seagal movies are so corny and you can basically tell how the movie gos and not even have to watch it.
The-Don
6/28/08 3:21:53AM
I think the problem with most martial arts movies and action movies in general is the plots are so recycled by this point...it needs to have some truly amazing action to stand out.. that or a new plot device.. .. other wise its the same basic stuff over and over.