accuracy help

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » accuracy help
HMA123
5/27/09 12:07:29PM
Ive been doing standup for a while now. After watching Machida, and Silva and stuff. Ive been seeing how accuracy like that wins fights. Anyone know any good drills to improve accuracy for punches / kicks.
Props to person with a decent one.
Thanks
jocka
5/27/09 12:45:02PM
Its more than just accuracy, i think timing plays an even bigger role.

What is so beautiful about AS and Machida is that there are so good at figuring out their opponents timing. The best thing you can do for practice in my opinion is sparring. I learned so much by sparring.

bigbubbano23
5/27/09 12:56:17PM
A big part of accuracy is being able to maintain it while being attacked. the easiest way to practice this is have a training partner with focus mitts try to hit you. And i'am not talkin about a lazy three you duck under, you should be on defense until your partner calls a combo. On the ufc countdown to 98 they showed machida doing an excercise with cones, where he weaved through about eight cones, while hiting the mitts with the combos being instructed to him. I have not tried this exercise yet but it looks like a good drill to improve accuracy while moving.
sbulldavid
5/27/09 5:52:34PM
Practice your form blindfolded. Visualize the fight in your head. Slow motion sparring is good also but always make sure you have perfect form and contract as you would at full speed. This way your body will know what to do on its own, and the reactions will register in your head.

You want to rely on your peripheral vision and your muscle memory. Think of it like being an animal ready to pounce , ready for anything . Perfect the little things because that is the difference between winning and losing .

As for Machidas cone drill , that's nothing fancy , it's the same as slipping the jab and working your combos with extra emphasis on the footwork .
Mattchoo
5/27/09 6:25:52PM
For me since I have had a floor to ceiling bag, not one of the crappy ebay ones but a proper one. My accuracy and timing has improved a rediculous amount, might not primarily work that but since iv been using it regularly come sparring im able to hit a guy whos trying to bob and weave with ease, time people coming in alot more and pick more accurate and coordinated combinations.

Have a try, theyr not even that expensive to buy and theyr well worth it from my experience so far. From when I first started it I could manage a 3 punch combo - jab cross left hook at full speed. Now im able to land a jab, cross, left hook, cross, uppercut full speed at ease. Generally pitter patter around on it like its nothing wheras before I couldnt do such a thing, and it seems to have transfered right into my sparring and competing.

Picking shots has never been so easy, like they just fall off your shoulders when you throw its great!

HMA123
5/27/09 8:54:28PM
Thank you all. I have a decent view of stuff i can do now. This might sound dum but does anyone know a routine or give me one i can do for timing and accuracy?
Appreciate it
telnights
5/27/09 10:45:42PM
Timing is huge if you can get your timing down your accuracy will come. But I use a double-end speed ball/bag to help my guys with timing and accuracy. Plus pad drills help as well.
Jackelope
5/27/09 10:53:07PM

Posted by telnights

Timing is huge if you can get your timing down your accuracy will come. But I use a double-end speed ball/bag to help my guys with timing and accuracy. Plus pad drills help as well.

Not a whole lot to add to these posts already made. Focus mitts (with a good trainer handling them), double end bags, sparring, it all comes with time. I like to warm up before sparring on the double end bag because like others have mentioned it gets you ready for that head movement. Plus, another nice thing about the double end bag is that it comes back at you, so you can work your shoulder rocks and your own head movement if you like
Mattchoo
5/28/09 1:13:19PM

Posted by HMA123

Ive been doing standup for a while now. After watching Machida, and Silva and stuff. Ive been seeing how accuracy like that wins fights. Anyone know any good drills to improve accuracy for punches / kicks.
Thanks

Just wonderingggg but..

By 'Standup' what do you mean, as in what 'standup' do you do? Because if you actually train a certain form of it im sure your coach would help you out as its what your essentially paying him for. Or is it just a garage sort of thing? if so im sure people have more basic fundamentals and things you could use im sure.
HMA123
5/28/09 1:58:21PM

Posted by Mattchoo

Posted by HMA123

Thanks

Just wonderingggg but..

By 'Standup' what do you mean, as in what 'standup' do you do? Because if you actually train a certain form of it im sure your coach would help you out as its what your essentially paying him for. Or is it just a garage sort of thing? if so im sure people have more basic fundamentals and things you could use im sure.

for standup i box but have studied mt. but already asked my boxing trainer and gives me nothing but a simple heavy bag drill. i know we have people on here that have alot more knowledge then that,thats why im asking.
telnights
5/28/09 6:06:01PM

Posted by HMA123
for standup i box but have studied mt. but already asked my boxing trainer and gives me nothing but a simple heavy bag drill. i know we have people on here that have alot more knowledge then that,thats why im asking.

If your trainer isn't helping you you need to get a new trainer period. I train guys in wrestling, boxing, and BJJ for a living (not my main job as I'm a programmer now but was also a Cop had to retire because of back problems). I try to spend at least 1 hour with them if not more. If your trainer isn't wanting to help then your paying the guy for nothing. Heave bag drills aren't going to help at all without instructions and him standing there watching, it really isn't made to help accuracy at all. Trust me when I say get a new trainer. I have seen many trainers that aren't trainers at all just some guy the gym hired on to help out. I would find out what your trainers back ground really is and if he doesn't have fairly good back ground in boxing or what ever form of stand up your training find someone that does. If he does tell him if he is unwilling to do his job you will go some where else. Let me explain what kind of back ground I have and may help with finding a good trainer. I have 16 years in boxing, 26 years in wrestling, and 12 years in BJJ. I have been attending training seminars for years now and was 2 time state champ in wrestling and attended Oklahoma State on a wrestling scholarship placed 2 and 3 in nationals. After knee injury I started coaching to finish out my time at school. I was state champ in gold gloves boxing and have trained for years with Pro Boxers, I have also attended many pro boxer training seminars. My back ground in BJJ is mainly just training but have attended 3 Gracie seminars and 2 ran by Eddie Bravo. I also try to attend at least one boxing and BJJ seminar a year but haven't been able to the past two years due to back problems. I hope this helps you.....