Accidental foul time given

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Accidental foul time given
bojangalz
1/18/09 8:44:18PM
So here's what I'm wondering:

After the accidental eye poke Hendo gave Ace in the final round Dan Mergleotta (I probably killed that spelling) told Ace that because it was not a shot to nuts he wasn't entitled to a full five minutes. Then he went to the ringside doctor who told Mergs to give Ace two minutes.

I'm almost sure I've heard of this before (Scott Smith in the Lawler fight I think.) But when I went to the unfided rules all I could find was this:

NAC 467.7966 Fouls: Accidental. (NRS 467.030)

1. If a contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts is stopped because of an accidental foul, the referee shall determine whether the unarmed combatant who has been fouled can continue or not. If the unarmed combatant’s chance of winning has not been seriously jeopardized as a result of the foul and if the foul did not involve a concussive impact to the head of the unarmed combatant who has been fouled, the referee may order the contest or exhibition continued after a recuperative interval of not more than 5 minutes. Immediately after separating the unarmed combatants, the referee shall inform the Commission’s representative of his determination that the foul was accidental.

Am I missing something here? I think Big John had explained it once on inside MMA too. So I wasn't to bent out of shape when Rich wasn't give the full five. But after looking at the rules I'm a little confused.

btw- I'm not saying if this was a factor in the fight or not. I actually picked Hendo to win by decision. Just looking for a little clarification on the rule.
grappler0000
1/18/09 8:55:08PM
Yeah, I remember them saying the same thing during the Smith/Lawler fight. TBH, I'm not sure. I know some of the states have a couple of minor differences in rules, but in Europe, they should be adhering to the unified rules, so I'm lost as well. What's interesting is when you watch Dana's video blog from Saturday night, the eye poke happens with only 7 minutes of PPV time remaining...makes you wonder whether that was a factor.
tuvok500
1/18/09 9:01:58PM
I think Rich was forced to continue since he was having no choice, it was continue now or lose by TKO.

It is the second time in a short laps of time that we saw something like that happening, i think an eye poke should be an automatic 5 minutes and 1 point away from the guy who did it, after the 5 minute if the fighter still have some trouble to see the fight should be stop and if the fight is in rd 1 it should be a NC and if the fight is passed rd 1 they should go for the score cards with the minus point on them.

THat way maybe a guy in advance would see the fight a draw by his fault and if the fight was equal he is gonna lose, the only way for the guy who fault to win would be to have a 2 points in advance before the fault.

I think an eye is easier to lose than your balls, so the rules should take that in consideration.

decken
1/18/09 9:10:50PM
While I agree with you that an eye poke and a groin shot should both be given equal amount of time to recover. My reading of the rules (quoted below) is the referee does not have to give out five minutes of recovery time. It only states that the referee can only give out a maximum of 5 minutes of recovery time. In other words the rules do not directly state how much recovery time should be given out besides it being less than five minutes.

"the referee may order the contest or exhibition continued after a recuperative interval of not more than 5 minutes"
bojangalz
1/18/09 9:21:39PM
Yeah, I actually just saw that myself. It'd be nice to expand on that in order to state the fact that the ref has the ability to set an interval time limit. The two minutes part was what had me confused.

I also read this article which I found in another post. They go into a little more detail then I care to copy/paste. But it seems like they talk about a lot of different language which I did not find in the rules.

Either way, I was pretty sure that Merg's had the right call. I just couldn't find the answer in black and white.
postman
1/18/09 9:42:45PM
There was only like 30 seconds left in the fight. I don't think it changed much. I was confused I always thought it was 5 min.
emfleek
1/19/09 8:37:44AM

Posted by postman

There was only like 30 seconds left in the fight. I don't think it changed much. I was confused I always thought it was 5 min.

UP TO five minutes. The ref can make the call to give the guy 30 seconds if he feels that's all that is needed.
Franklinfan47
1/19/09 11:22:07AM
I think more time should be given for eye pokes. They are pretty much the same as groin kicks in that they can be incredibly painful. Five minutes should be alloted.
Aether
1/19/09 1:17:14PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

I think more time should be given for eye pokes. They are pretty much the same as groin kicks in that they can be incredibly painful. Five minutes should be alloted.

They're actually even worse because on top of the pain, you lose the ability to see properly, opening huge gaps in your defense. The gonzaga cro-cop fight is a good example of how reduced vision can open up your defense and get you KOed. It had nothing to do with an eyepoke, but the end result is the same.