Absorbing Punches

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Absorbing Punches
shinobi
8/9/07 4:10:54PM
I have recently done some non-scientific research from watching a ton of boxing and listening to Teddy Atlas, and apparently, having larger neck muscles help absorb punches better then a skinnier neck. Whether this is true or not i'm not quite sure but it definitely would explain why guys like Quinton Jackson etc can take a ton of punishment. Any thoughts or other forms of proof or dis-proof would be great, i have been trying to research this topic for quite some time and would appreciate any help i could get. Thanks MMA Fans.
pv3Hpv3p
8/9/07 4:14:14PM
I've heard the same thing... Maybe it was even from Atlas as well... It seems to make sense logically, your brain wouldn't rattle around as much if your neck kept your head more stationary... Sounds like it makes sense anyways

Hunt and Fujita both have pretty huge friggin necks as well...
shinobi
8/9/07 4:16:48PM
so lets pretend for a minute this is true ( im researching real evidence as we speak ), then i guess focusing on your trapezius muscles by doing shoulder shrugs etc would greatly help wouldn't it?
fedorwins1
8/9/07 4:20:49PM
That must mean that Ronnie Coleman can't be KO'd!!!

Seriously though I'm sure it's a part of it and also biting down on your mouthpiece to tighten your jaw.

On a side note, don't Samoans have thicker skulls than most people?
shinobi
8/9/07 4:22:50PM
stronger neck muscles wouldn't mean CAN'T, just harder to, and i believe you might be right on that, but back to the point. if you can find any credible evidence to support this theory it would be great.
shinobi
8/9/07 4:25:53PM
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-283320.html

so far, reading this is all i have to base this on. there is one guy claiming about a doctor that working the neck muscles will help. not quite sure how credible but definitely something to look into.
cmill21
8/9/07 4:30:33PM
I think it is a muscle thing, but look at nog his neck isn't that big and he can withstand a hell of a beating. Just go examine mark hunts anatomy to figure it out lol.
shinobi
8/9/07 4:31:54PM
http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym15.htm

another recent source. this is all i could find so far, nothing with a real doctor anything. just boxers etc with opinions that they think works, it is definitely worth a shot however.

and while nog may not have a huge neck, it is probably quite strong which does help. as well as just natural body structure.
CwB
8/9/07 4:42:34PM
I have heard this too, it makes sense to me.
jocksmall
8/9/07 9:43:39PM
maybe a big freakin head doesnt hurt either
Svartorm
8/9/07 9:49:13PM

Posted by fedorwins1

On a side note, don't Samoans have thicker skulls than most people?

Yup, most islanders evolved to have thicker skulls and bigger necks than most people. I'm not sure if its true, but supposedly the leading cause of death on islands like that is having coconuts fall on your head. The theory is that dudes with softer skulls or small necks are less likely to live to breed, and thats why you have Samoans with iron skulls.
peachfuzzz1305
8/9/07 10:21:17PM
CABBAGE CORRIERRA
MoJoy
8/10/07 1:44:46AM
This is a magnificent topic.
Mastodon2
8/10/07 8:37:07AM
Strong neck muscles do help, they stabilise the cranium.

Contrary to popular belief, KOs are NOT caused by some mysterious nerve on the jaw being pranged and then causing a black out. Black outs are caused by the brain being jarred inside the cranial cavity, in particular when the back of the brain takes an impact as it bounced around. The dizziness is caused in part by the jarring, and in part by the back points of the lower jaw being pushed (with great force) into the inner ear. Try it right now, open your mouth as wide as you can, then close it. Do it several times, and you will feel the air pressure in your ear canal changing; this is because when the jaw is back (when the mouth is open, or when you get hit on the jaw) it is pused into the inner ear, and force air out. When you get hit on the jaw, the force goes right into the inner ear, which is where your balance control centre is, when this gets knocked you get spaghetti legs.

Strong neck muscles cant stop your jaw from moving, but they can absorb the force of a punch by not letting your head whip around as much; this can help a fighter to avoid KOs. Mike Tyson used head weights, weights on chains you strap around your head and lift with your neck, to strengthen his neck muscles. This helped give him his concrete head.
TOMMYAYO05
8/11/07 2:31:11PM
This all makes sense to me and its weird ive been watching mma for a while and never even thought of it.
bayonetxwork
8/11/07 7:27:12PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Strong neck muscles do help, they stabilise the cranium.

Contrary to popular belief, KOs are NOT caused by some mysterious nerve on the jaw being pranged and then causing a black out. Black outs are caused by the brain being jarred inside the cranial cavity, in particular when the back of the brain takes an impact as it bounced around.

Hmmm, good points. But I still don't understand how that would work because that would technically mean you can knock someone out just as easily punching them in the forehead, as you could on the chin right? Because your brain will still take the same amount of force regardless of point of impact.
cmill21
8/11/07 7:43:48PM
No, if you get hit the the forehead your head won't move nearly as much as if you were hit in the chin with the same force. So the forehead shot would reduce stress on the brain stem, and the brain. If your heads moving in a bunch of directions your brains banging around in your head. I think the KO is more of a neck brainstem thing as apposed to nerves.