Not being able to debate because I am white...

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Not being able to debate because I am white...
« Previous Page | Next Page »
Aether
7/25/12 8:52:09PM

Posted by prophecy033

Does anyone know how many have to die for it to be considered a mass murder?

4 or more, with no cooling off period is how the FBI defines it.
crushedbacon
7/25/12 8:57:20PM
Look what happens when you study sociology for 9 years.
pmoney
7/25/12 9:06:15PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I agree with this one-hundred percent. Often times, I think, we as white folk forget some of the privileges and assumptions that have been generationalized into our upbringing. Essentially, white people have enjoyed it for so long, it's just become part of the behavior over the years.

Obviously a gay, white male will have a different experience than a straight, white male, but I think that on the whole much of their experience will be similar. Even if we are able to differentiate these ideas and flesh out these topics, there are a number of people who cannot do so and it furthers the discrimination.

For every person that doesn't give a black man a second thought when he enters the store, there's an old, white lady who crosses the street to avoid the "scary looking black man." I think that we often forget that people do that because it's not part of our upbringing.

I agree with you, Patrick. Many of these issues are dated. Much of today's youth has been brought up to call out discrimination. We are more vocal and, to an extent, egalitarian than our ancestors.

Yet, at the same time, discrimination will also modernized. People have found new ways to discriminate based on sex, gender, and race. Like the criminal justice system, the cops will always be one step behind the criminals strictly due to the fact that they have to develop reactionary technology.

Almost every tactic used by law enforcement is somehow a reaction to something developed by criminals.

Criminals discovered they could start a car without keys, we developed the car alarm. Criminals figured out how to disable the alarm, so we invented the Club. Criminals figured out how to get around the Club, so we invented Lo-Jack/GPS.

This isn't a detailed history of car theft, but you get the general idea of what I'm saying. The offenders are almost always one step ahead of those that would seek to stop an action. Racism and discrimination are no different, in my opinion.

Well said. It my be harder for this generation to discern and admit existing prejudice, especially residing in California. We're progressive, son! Other locales, other generations, racism is probably much more prevalent.

I certainly agree about the evolution of racism and discrimination. The ignorant will always look to ridicule something or someone different than them.
cowcatcher
7/25/12 9:14:13PM
I think the real problem in this thread is that no one is saying how they feel about Kristen Stewart cheating on Robert Pattinson.

Here's someone who is.

Can you imagine how hot she'd be with a unibrow?
Gogoplatapus
7/25/12 9:16:54PM

Posted by cowcatcher

I think the real problem in this thread is that no one is saying how they feel about Kristen Stewart cheating on Robert Pattinson.

Here's someone who is.

Can you imagine how hot she'd be with a unibrow?

Not her fault, I roofied her.
Shawn91111
7/25/12 9:17:46PM

Posted by Adrenaline

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

What do I know, though? Not like I took these classes:

- Women in Society
- Race & Ethnic Relations
- Social Psych
- Social Change & Social Movements
- Qualitative Methods
- Quantitative Methods
- Classical Sociological Theory
- Contemporary Sociological Theory
- Juvenile Delinquency
- Sociology of Crime
- Vision & Methods of Historical Sociology
- Gay/Lesbian Issues
- Advanced Sociological Theory
- Historiography
- Advanced Research Design & Methods.
- Technology & Society

I also didn’t teach 2 sociology classes at a 4-year university.

Oh, and I worked for the probation department for 3 years in the Repeat Offender Prevention Program.

Pretentious much?

Yes
pmoney
7/25/12 9:24:06PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Gogo, you my boy.... But rape jokes make me sad

Now if you want to make jokes about SIDS, I won't at all be offended. Does that make me a hypocrite? Let's debate...
Cooler
7/25/12 9:31:30PM
No self respecting people of any color exclude others from these topics otherwise they are in fact the racists.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/25/12 9:33:06PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Adrenaline

Pretentious much?

Yes

You guys are misusing the word. A pretentious person brags about something they don't have. They present themselves as something greater than they've accomplished.

I'm not doing that. So, by definition, I cannot be pretentious. If you want to continue using the word wrong, go right ahead. I'm not the one abusing the English language. You're applying the wrong word to describe me.

The correct description would be "cocky dick"
Ordep
7/25/12 9:33:27PM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Now if you want to make jokes about SIDS, I won't at all be offended. Does that make me a hypocrite? Let's debate...

Not rape related but Gogo you joked about roofing Kristen right? Because to hit on the girl in the video you need to get the roofie yourself.
Cooler
7/25/12 9:39:24PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Adrenaline

Pretentious much?

Yes

You guys are misusing the word. A pretentious person brags about something they don't have. They present themselves as something greater than they've accomplished.

I'm not doing that. So, by definition, I cannot be pretentious. If you want to continue using the word wrong, go right ahead. I'm not the one abusing the English language. You're applying the wrong word to describe me.

The correct description would be "cocky dick"

Meh, us calling you cocky gives you validation. You just listed off a bunch of things that we have to unfortunately take at face value.
Gogoplatapus
7/25/12 9:39:49PM

Posted by Ordep

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Not rape related but Gogo you joked about roofing Kristen right? Because to hit on the girl in the video you need to get the roofie yourself.

I don't even know who she is, but his thread has been rape joking my brain.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/25/12 9:56:32PM

Posted by Cooler

Meh, us calling you cocky gives you validation. You just listed off a bunch of things that we have to unfortunately take at face value.

Oh, I don't think that's true at all. I can post them for you right now. Nobody has ever asked.

Here's a link to my published Master's Thesis

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2 Photo Attachment 3 Photo Attachment 4
Adrenaline
7/25/12 9:59:02PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Cooler

Oh, I don't think that's true at all. I can post them for you right now. Nobody has ever asked.

Nobody asked, because nobody cares
BlueSkiesBurn
7/25/12 10:01:30PM

Posted by Adrenaline

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Cooler

Nobody asked, because nobody cares

You can sink to petulance if you'd like. The subject matter was sociology, when my ideas were questioned, I presented the appropriate credentials to support them.

When Cooler said that he had to take what I said at face value because there was no proof, I provided proof.

It's all in how you take it.
Cooler
7/25/12 10:01:54PM
How did I know he was going to post his degrees lol
BlueSkiesBurn
7/25/12 10:02:57PM

Posted by Cooler

Because it logically follows when you say "we just have to take this at face value."
Adrenaline
7/25/12 10:04:46PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

You can sink to petulance if you'd like.

What is petulance? I don't have one of them there fancy degrees you literally bring up every chance you get.
Cooler
7/25/12 10:06:09PM
That's not really evidence, Josh Webb could be anyone. Take a picture of yourself with the correct time, date and a birth certificate. Then we may give you the validation you crave.
Adrenaline
7/25/12 10:06:24PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Cooler

Because it logically follows

No, not really. It's the internet, do you really feel the need to prove yourself that much to people you don't even know?
BlueSkiesBurn
7/25/12 10:07:58PM
Here's the deal.

I really don't care if you think I am a dick, or if you think I'm a show-off. That's not what this thread is about.

The original poster made a claim that there was no sociological evidence to support this girl's claim. I simply pointed out that there was, in fact, evidence. That's where all of this began. After being told he disagreed with my assessment, I attempted a different explanation. Since then it's just a series of ad hominem attacks on me.

Personally, I don't care. It's not my job to make you like me. In fact, I don't give a shit if you don't like me. I admit I am cocky and I admit I am a showoff. I really don't care. The world takes all kinds and I am the kind that flashes. I have earned it. I am a perfectionist and give everything 150%. You say cocky and arrogant, I say damn proud. The reality is that I am actually a really supportive person and very accepting of other's beliefs. There's not a whole lot in the world that I don't tolerate.

So, if you have a problem with my personality, I'm fine with that. Really though, it's your problem. Carry it around with you if you want. At the end of the day, it doesn't affect me.
Adrenaline
7/25/12 10:14:19PM
You don't care what we think yet you try so hard to impress us with your accolades, hmmmmm. Or perhaps you are telling the truth and the show boating isn't for us and is just self gratification, ego stroking maybe??

I actually do like you most of the time BSB, I'm not giving you hard time because I have some problem with you.
FlashyG
7/25/12 10:14:25PM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Do they all make you sad?

My goal isn't to change your opinion or make you sad, I'm just taking advantage of the opportunity to post 3 Louis CK videos in one thread that's not about Louis CK.
Aether
7/25/12 10:15:47PM
To be fair, bringing up the fact that you have credentials relating to the field of discussion is perfectly valid information. If someone spends years studying something, their opinions are more than likely going to be better informed than someone who has not spent any time studying the subject, or someone who has a casual interest in it.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/25/12 10:17:34PM

Posted by Adrenaline

You don't care what we think yet you try so hard to impress us with your accolades, hmmmmm. Or perhaps you are telling the truth and the show boating isn't for us and is just self gratification, ego stroking maybe??

I actually do like you most of the time BSB, I'm not giving you hard time because I have some problem with you.

I'm also not disagreeing with you that I come off very strong. I realize that I do, but I am only quick to pull the trigger when something is questioned. I look at it like this. If someone questions your age, you whip out your license, right?

Same principle applies for me. Some people don't think that rule should apply to different things because it comes off as arrogant or condescending. I am not one of those people. I might be later on in life, but right now I am not.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/25/12 10:18:42PM

Posted by Aether

To be fair, bringing up the fact that you have credentials relating to the field of discussion is perfectly valid information. If someone spends years studying something, their opinions are more than likely going to be better informed than someone who has not spent any time studying the subject, or someone who has a casual interest in it.

This is honestly how I view things. It's normal to me. It might not be normal to others, but it's quite normal in the academic setting. Which is where this debate took place; In the field of sociology.
Shawn91111
7/25/12 10:21:12PM
george112
7/25/12 10:22:14PM

Posted by Aether

I agree to an extent.

But busting out credentials just to make your opinion seem more valid then someone who doesn't is just plain dumb.

Not saying that has gone on in this thread I'm just talking in general

There are some subjects that one doesn't need a degree to debate intelligently. Psychology is one of those subjects.
Cooler
7/25/12 10:22:22PM

Posted by Aether

I could co-sign that but it doesn't make his opinion on the matter more important and his attitude pointed toward that. I was mostly just busting his balls anyway.
Cooler
7/25/12 10:27:24PM

Posted by george112

Posted by Aether

I agree to an extent.

But busting out credentials just to make your opinion seem more valid then someone who doesn't is just plain dumb.

Not saying that has gone on in this thread I'm just talking in general

There are some subjects that one doesn't need a degree to debate intelligently. Psychology is one of those subjects.

On top of that, Psychology will be completely absorbed into Neurology once we've understood the brain better just like Alchemy turned into Chemistry and Astrology turned into Astronomy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4