ABC Passes Revised Unified Rules

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » ABC Passes Revised Unified Rules
Vote4Fedro
7/3/08 8:57:58PM
MONTREAL -- A revised edition of the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts was passed Thursday by the Association of Boxing Commissions via a majority vote at the ABC's annual conference.
Link
ObsoleteMan
7/3/08 9:24:50PM
Whoa. Elbows and back of the head are clarified, which is nice, but:
"In particular, the welterweight division will now range from 165-175 pounds, while light heavyweight fighters will be specified between 205-225 pounds. Heavyweight entrants will be asked to weigh in between 225-265 pounds."

I guess it's implied guess middleweight is 185-195 now? If not, that's whack. But man, huge changes to light heavy and heavy. Sucks for the UFC(assuming they adopt it, of course), that'll probably cost them even more heavyweight fighters. It's good though, light-heavy definitely needed more contenders. I'm tired of such a weak division.

This year really is gonna be the year of the weight changes.

Edit: Actually. Never mind. Nevada and California's commissions apparently didn't attend? Unless they make the changes as well, I find it pretty unlikely this'll matter much.
Bowen50
7/3/08 9:37:08PM

Posted by ObsoleteMan
I guess it's implied guess middleweight is 185-195 now? If not, that's whack. But man, huge changes to light heavy and heavy. Sucks for the UFC(assuming they adopt it, of course), that'll probably cost them even more heavyweight fighters. It's good though, light-heavy definitely needed more contenders. I'm tired of such a weak division.

i dobut the UFC is going to adopt these new rules. it would change the divisions around WAY too much. also if you think the light heavyweight division of the UFC is weak you don't deserve to watch MMA.
holt8081
7/3/08 9:39:17PM

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by ObsoleteMan

i dobut the UFC is going to adopt these new rules. it would change the divisions around WAY too much. also if you think the light heavyweight division of the UFC is weak you don't deserve to watch MMA.

LHW division is Crazy good right know.
ObsoleteMan
7/3/08 10:13:42PM
Heh. That was sarcastic, guys. IMO, light-heavy is the strongest division in the UFC.
jae_1833
7/3/08 10:38:57PM
"With the passage of these revised rules, regulatory bodies can now adopt them into their individual state legislatures, as well as tweak them at their own discretion under their jurisdictions."

Basically the rules are just the outline of what should happen.....not what will. If the UFC decides to change their weights then so be it .....bring on the madness of change I say. These weight classes look like what EliteXC/Strikeforce are going with already anyways.
I like the fix in the elbow strikes and back of head rules....not so much on the covering of the mouth though. I think they definately need to address kicks and knees to downed opponents. Hopefully all kicks and stomps and knees will be permissible to downed opponents (although I don't know if the American/Greatest people could accept it). I also like the females getting their weight classes fixed, now they know where they stand instead of it being different every show (Gina!!!!).
Bowen50
7/3/08 11:04:02PM

Posted by ObsoleteMan

Heh. That was sarcastic, guys. IMO, light-heavy is the strongest division in the UFC.

haha sorry can't really tell over the internet
Twenty20Dollars
7/3/08 11:18:59PM
yeah ufc is not taking these rules

if it aint broke dont fix it.
NinjaCyborg
7/4/08 12:52:46AM
I don't like that covering the mouth is now a foul. I rather enjoyed that move.
McBee
7/4/08 1:14:19AM
just like YAMMA, it is like they are trying to act like the UFC sucks. By making this so much different from the UFC they make every promotion that adopts it harder to folIow and I think less successful. It will also deem the unifed rules obsolete when promotions figure it out and just do what the UFC does so fans do not feel lost.
telnights
7/4/08 5:20:18AM
There is some good things and bad things in these new rules.

The good -
The elbow rule for the back of the head is very much needed and the fact that downward elbows are now allowed is great.

The bad-
New weight classes is just thinning out a already thin HW division. By these new weight rules it would make Fedor a LHW and a bunch of other fighters that fight at HW. Also means now you have guys that fight at 185 now trying to cut down to 175 thinning out MW even more. When you add a bunch of weight classes it really takes away from things.

I don't see the UFC going to these new weight classes.

mrsmiley
7/4/08 5:55:46AM
I like the idea that Crocop could be fighting at LHW.
bojangalz
7/4/08 9:15:35AM
New weight divisions=Too many damn belts. I think it devalues champions by thining the talent pool too much. UFC will not be changing any time soon.
mrsmiley
7/4/08 10:04:18AM

Posted by bojangalz

New weight divisions=Too many damn belts. I think it devalues champions by thining the talent pool too much. UFC will not be changing any time soon.

Yeah that's true.After you have so many belts it's just like "What the hell"
Darnok
7/4/08 11:10:49AM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by bojangalz

And you would have so many fighters changing weight classes even more than they do now.
McBee
7/4/08 12:25:27PM

Posted by Darnok

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by bojangalz

And you would have so many fighters changing weight classes even more than they do now.

the stupid sherdog poll is over whelmingly for the UFC adoting the UNified rules and weightclasses, hope many of those people either did not read the articles or are a part of the unified rules panel?
VictimSix
7/4/08 12:49:05PM
Very cool that they are trying to push amature mma. That will be a huge step for the future of the sport. As for the weight classes...meh thins things out to much at the higher weight classes, (Though I'm all about adding offical below 135 classes in North America) If the UFC ever has to do catch weight fight or something at least they could say it's in the "super so n so" division. Sounds a bit more professional I guess but 14 weight classes is a bit much. Plus the nsac & csac did not attend the conference so they will probably stay unchanged I'm sure.

195 pounds for a middleweight, thats retarted.
Figsak
7/4/08 12:53:03PM
135 is as low as it should go for men.

I think once you're a grown man, and you fight at under 135, you're probably legally a midget.
DiabloFreak56
7/4/08 1:12:21PM
Horrendus rules they wont go to this if they do its a shame...

who wants 3935298235235 champions i rather have the 5 we have now, and maybe soon they add featherweight.
VictimSix
7/5/08 1:43:58PM
Some of the best fights I have ever seen have come from the straw and fly weight class. I've always been a fan of low weight classes though, not sure why. Break neck pace and they are almost always more tech sound then their heavier counterparts. I guess I'm talking about boxing more so then mma...

Either way having a "super" at every classes is just to much, maybe for amature mma? I understand that they want to give everyone a chance to fight but as long as mma is how it is now with no real interpromotional match ups there isn't really a reason for it. 14 championsin one org is crazy. Now if mma was a bit more like boxing where everyone from all corners of the globe are fighting and arn't tied down to one org, then I could see it. Mma isn't to the point where we need "super/Jr" classes. Like I said before though I'll take any below 135lbs class they want to give me, midgets or not =D