MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » 300
Next Page »
BabbyHughes
2/9/07 7:40:13PM
My God, this movie is going to be amazing

I so wish it would come out sooner.......

In a perfect world...It would come out on Valentines Day, so all the women around the globe would have to go see a Manflick with their boyfriends/husbands, and forever know how we feel every year

http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/home.html?dl=undefined
some cool stuff on the movie site.
loller90278
2/9/07 10:17:46PM
agreed, definatly a movie for creatures with a sack filled with testosterone
Svartorm
2/10/07 1:11:19AM
Hopefully they don't **** it up. Its probably the most intelligently fought battle in history, and I'm already not cool with them fantasying it up.
BabbyHughes
2/10/07 3:48:47AM

Posted by Svartorm

Hopefully they don't **** it up. Its probably the most intelligently fought battle in history, and I'm already not cool with them fantasying it up.

What they are doing is taking the graphic novel (comic book basically) and are reacreating it. The comic book is based off of the battle of Thermopoli, but it has alot of fictional characters in it and battle scenes.

looks awesome :D
Svartorm
2/10/07 3:59:50AM
I know what they're doing, but the original, non-fantasy story would make a fantastic movie itself. I guarentee the way it is, 90% of people who see it will think that battle never happened, and thats a shame considering how amazing of a story it is, all by itself.
hippysmacker
2/10/07 4:06:33AM
Me and some buds are going to the midnight I-max showing. It's gonna be awesome.
crimethinc
2/10/07 5:01:18AM
My girlfriend made me go see f***ing "Happy Feet" in exchange for her going to see this movie. So if it sucks I'm going to be pissed. I'm also eagerly awaiting the release of Reno 911: Miami.
tamarslay3
2/10/07 1:47:17PM

Posted by crimethinc

My girlfriend made me go see f***ing "Happy Feet" in exchange for her going to see this movie. So if it sucks I'm going to be pissed. I'm also eagerly awaiting the release of Reno 911: Miami.

actually NUMBER 23 looks better
loller90278
2/10/07 1:49:06PM
i will not go see 23...

garbage
roadking95th
2/11/07 1:15:25AM

Posted by Svartorm

I don't think anyone will ever be confusing Thermopylae with Hannibal Barca's battle at Cannae or Alexander the Great's battle at Gaugamela. Both Hannibal's and Alexander's plans were brilliant and are still being studied and taught today. Thermopylae was a show of bravery per se. The Oracle of Delphi sayed that a king would have to die (the Spartans had two kings(always), for past religious misconduct. Yes, the men showed bravery agaisnt overwhelming odds, but that was how they were raised from birth. Oh hell, why am I telling you this. You recommened the book Gates of Fire, that was on Thermopylae right. Thermopylae was more about geography, superior war tactics ( specifically the use of the phalanx), and bravery. The phalanx and Spartan training were leaps and bounds ahead of the Persians, but the specific use of the phalanx wasn't anything new to the Spartans or Greeks for that matter.
Unkoman
2/11/07 3:24:32AM

Posted by loller90278

i will not go see 23...

garbage

I agree another davinchi show looking crapfest
Svartorm
2/11/07 5:13:00AM

Posted by roadking95th

Posted by Svartorm

I don't think anyone will ever be confusing Thermopylae with Hannibal Barca's battle at Cannae or Alexander the Great's battle at Gaugamela. Both Hannibal's and Alexander's plans were brilliant and are still being studied and taught today. Thermopylae was a show of bravery per se. The Oracle of Delphi sayed that a king would have to die (the Spartans had two kings(always), for past religious misconduct. Yes, the men showed bravery agaisnt overwhelming odds, but that was how they were raised from birth. Oh hell, why am I telling you this. You recommened the book Gates of Fire, that was on Thermopylae right. Thermopylae was more about geography, superior war tactics ( specifically the use of the phalanx), and bravery. The phalanx and Spartan training were leaps and bounds ahead of the Persians, but the specific use of the phalanx wasn't anything new to the Spartans or Greeks for that matter.

The armies of Asia always tended to be skirmishers and horse archers, and historically did poorly when hitting the varied geography of Europe. I actually think the psychological aspect of the battle was the most brilliant part. The machine-like percision of the Spartan hoplite and their dedication to always looking clean and untouched by the carnage around them are huge factors in warfare. The greatest part of that battle though was the fact that the entire Persian army had to march through Thermopylae, and witness all the carnage that transpired there. Being as the Persians were almost entirely slave and peasant troops, that had to have had a huge effect on the moral of men who had never seen war and death on that scale.

And if you think the average person knows dick about history, you're dead wrong. I've been running a historical trivia game at my work for the last year, and some of the answers I've gotten are downright embarrasing, especially in the warfare aspects. The average joe doesn't know the difference between WW1 and WW2, let alone any bronze age warfare questions.
roadking95th
2/11/07 3:29:40PM
Hey Svartorm, looking back at my statement, I guess it came off a little short and possibly insulting to you. I did not mean this. Your analysis of the battle is sort of what I was trying to convey. In short, Cannae and Gaugemela were more brilliant (militarily) in my opinion.

On a side note, what is this historical trivia game?
loller90278
2/11/07 3:47:26PM

Posted by roadking95th

Posted by Svartorm

hehe i ordered that book 3 days ago via amazon

i read genghis kahn and the making of the modern world during the summer and i've been hooked on war tacticioners evre since, hannibal, salah al hadin, alexander etc
Svartorm
2/11/07 8:22:54PM

Posted by roadking95th

Hey Svartorm, looking back at my statement, I guess it came off a little short and possibly insulting to you. I did not mean this. Your analysis of the battle is sort of what I was trying to convey. In short, Cannae and Gaugemela were more brilliant (militarily) in my opinion.

On a side note, what is this historical trivia game?

Don't sweat it dude.

We've got a whiteboard at work that the lunch specials go on, but being as I work at night, its blank, so I put up a trivia question at night. Usually its history, geography, or warfare related. It passes the time at night and has brought in a few customers who really like that kind of thing.
loller90278
2/12/07 12:15:07PM
bit of trivia, What religion did Genghis Kahn practice ?
hippysmacker
2/12/07 12:26:51PM
Great Yasa, which basically declared him a messiah type guy. It's been a while since I read about him, but I remeber is was kind of like his own 20 commandments. All punishable by death I beleive, although he din't always demand that sentence.
loller90278
2/12/07 2:48:54PM
from what i remember from my readings, i thought it was a religion that he believed some spirit was all around him, in the rocks and sunset and etc, i'll try to google it, but what you speak of hippysmacker i remember reading also..
Svartorm
2/12/07 9:39:45PM
No clue about his religion, but he was one of the first rulers to have complete religious tolerance. Not to be a nice guy, but because it made people easier to control.
loller90278
3/5/07 6:53:07PM
IM SEEIN THE MIDNIGHT SHOWING 11:59 IN ROLLIN HILLS, CALIFORNIAAAAAAA

THURSDAY NIGHT.
BE THERE BITCHES!
Svartorm
3/6/07 2:16:33AM
I'm catching a show in the afternoon on Friday so its cheap and no one will bother me while watching it. I can't watch movies in the theater usually because if people start yelling or annoying me, I lose my shit.

Fun Svartorm Fact: During Lord of The Rings 2, I made a group of people move because one of them was wearing patchuli oil.
mma_fan_matt
3/7/07 1:35:27PM
I saw it on the day of UFC 68. It was either go see 300 or order UFC 68. I chose 300.
deadcore
3/7/07 1:41:57PM
Genghis Khan's religion is widely speculated to be Shamanism, which was very likely among nomadic Mongol-Turkic tribes of Central Asia. Genghis Khan towards the later part of his life became interested in the ancient Buddhist and Tao religions from China. The Taoist monk Ch'ang Ch'un, who rejected invitations from Song and Jin leaders, travelled more than 5000 kilometres to meet Genghis Khan close to the Afghanistan border. The first question Genghis Khan asked him was if the monk had some secret medicine that could make him immortal. The monk's negative answer disheartened Genghis Khan, and he rapidly lost interest in the monk. He also passed a decree exempting all followers of Taoist religion from paying any taxes. Genghis Khan was by and large tolerant of the multiple religions and there are no cases of him or the Mongols engaging in religious war against people he encountered during the conquests as long as they were obedient. However, all of his campaigns caused wanton and deliberate destruction of places of worship if they resisted
loller90278
3/8/07 1:25:59AM
me with some homies...

TonyDanza
3/10/07 1:28:38AM
Great movie , the decapitations own.
Svartorm
3/10/07 4:32:29AM
Excellent movie, and they even worked in a few of the historical tidbits to balance out the fantasy aspects. It should definitely be seen on the big screen, so don't miss out folks.
fedorwins1
3/10/07 10:28:00AM
I was supposed to go see it last night but things didnt work out so im going tonight i can't wait
loller90278
3/10/07 12:30:53PM
i'm glad they added in the line at the end
"tell the spartans, passerby...."

got chills when i heard that
fedorwins1
3/10/07 12:35:34PM

Posted by loller90278

me with some homies...

haha ok do u have 3 hands?
loller90278
3/10/07 2:22:59PM
the extra hand belongs to the guy behind me, DUH!
Pages: [1] 2