Who is the 2nd best Canadian fighter?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who is the 2nd best Canadian fighter?
« Previous Page
POLL: Who is the 2nd best canadian fighter, all weight classes?
David Loiseau 26% (28)
Carlos Newton 19% (21)
Gary Goodridge 7% (8)
Jason Macdonald 13% (14)
Pain Peters 2% (2)
Other (specify) 33% (36)
kaduey
8/2/07 11:20:50PM
Pain Peters? That's a F**king joke right? Denis Kang and "El Dirty" Doerksen definatley belong on that list before most of those guys. I would put Hominick before Stout just because he's more well rounded. Jason MacDonald has terrible stand-up and will never be a top five middleweight. Patrick Cote lost the killer's edge he once had. Michael MacDonald shouldn't be put in this category, even though he is a great Canadian champ.Jeff Joslin hasn't fought enough to get recognition yet but he has the skills to compete at the highest level.
CanadianCripplr
8/3/07 2:07:38AM
Kang for sure, but many of you are underestimating Kalib Starnes. He will make it clear in the next year. Kang is a monster.
Scott_Revels
8/3/07 4:13:47AM
In my opinion, Jeff Joslin is.. Him or Frankie Edgar. Both have so much talent. Joslin was put into a spot where he really couldn't fight back against Lay and Pray Koscheck. If you can't move under his fat ass, then you really can't go for submissions that often. Every time it was stood up, Koscheck put them back down on the mat, so he could lay on him some more. If anyone watches the Joslin/Fitch fight, they'll see that if Koscheck hadn't LnP'd the whole time, he would've been knocked out quickly, and there never would've been that horrible, Koscheck/Sanchez 2.

As for Edgar.. Edgar ---> Tyson Griffin ---> Urijah Faber. Enough said in that matter.
hippysmacker
8/3/07 6:43:57AM

Posted by Scott_Revels

In my opinion, Jeff Joslin is.. Him or Frankie Edgar. Both have so much talent. Joslin was put into a spot where he really couldn't fight back against Lay and Pray Koscheck. If you can't move under his fat ass, then you really can't go for submissions that often. Every time it was stood up, Koscheck put them back down on the mat, so he could lay on him some more. If anyone watches the Joslin/Fitch fight, they'll see that if Koscheck hadn't LnP'd the whole time, he would've been knocked out quickly, and there never would've been that horrible, Koscheck/Sanchez 2.

As for Edgar.. Edgar ---> Tyson Griffin ---> Urijah Faber. Enough said in that matter.

First, I didn't know Edgar was canadian, I thought he was from New Jersey. 2nd -MMAath is easliy disproven time and time again, styles make fights. 3rd -The Faber fight was about r 2 years ago, and I'm sure they are both different fighters. Would love to see the remach though. Last- I agree Joslin does not get the respect he deserves. He is very well rounded IMO, I just think he needs to pack on a little muscle and he could be a top 10 guy.
RMFG_187
2/2/08 1:31:12AM
the honors have to go with Kang, but i LOVE Gary Goodridge. my Best friends dad went to jail with gary, and no one would even talk to Gary if they didnt kno him. 1 scary dude.
cmill21
2/2/08 1:33:11AM
Kang or Micheal McDonald, title doesn't say MMA fighter.
Kpro
2/2/08 1:38:44AM
Kang is French and Korean and was born in Saint Pierre and Miquelon.

He is not Canadian by lineage, or where he was born, and didn't relocate to Vancouver until he was 11.

I don't know what qualifications are used to determine what makes someone a fighter from a certain country, but I wouldn't call Kang Canadian.
Kpro
2/2/08 1:45:39AM
Guess I didn't answer the question; even though this poll was resurrected from a year ago.

I say Michael McDonald. Cote would be my next choice.
slapshot
2/2/08 4:29:57AM
Cote ATM.
NatedawgThaM
2/2/08 9:00:21AM
I would say Cote if he gets a quality win under his belt since he has looked impressive. Homminick and Dave L. are both good fighters. I'm not going to say Denis Khang because I think he's overrated and hasn't beat any quality top 10 opponents except maybe 1 and got KTFO in his last fight.

I know he's on a down slide but I got to go with Newton because he was a beast in the older UFC days and was the first canadian champion. Based on recent performance, the 2nd best has to be Cote.
pharside
2/2/08 11:23:47AM
Cote is on fire right now, and isn't Kang from South Africa?
roadking95th
2/2/08 1:51:01PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by zephead

Canada has a #1 fighter????

Mess with the best die like the rest.

I guess it would depend which wave the Canadians were riding though. You know, the ass-kickING or the ass-kickED wave
roger
2/2/08 4:31:33PM
David Loiseau
Pride-Fighter
2/2/08 6:36:48PM
The WWF wrestler the mounty

On a serious note how would a member of the Hart family do in MMA? They are masters of catch wrestling and if they had anywhere near the grappling ability of Sakuraba, Barnett or Shamrock they could do well.
MMA
2/2/08 9:48:22PM
Newton when he was at his prime but now Kang I suppose. Cote is close behind, I call him the hype killer.
MFOTHER
2/3/08 5:44:57PM
p> cote . he has always impressed me ....DL is nasty, but patrick steps up when the ufc needs a good fight
Dastardly1
2/4/08 1:26:04AM
had 2 go with Newton
tylerlee123
2/4/08 3:53:26PM
Definatley Kang or Cote, Joslin and Stout are up there as well
Silent-Sir
2/13/08 6:37:18PM
About a year ago I would have said Loiseau. Now I just don't know. Maybe Cote or Hominick.
BlazinSaddle
2/13/08 8:28:44PM
cote, stout, loiseau, kang, joslin, hominick, arnt on the list?
JBatch
2/14/08 2:51:45PM
Lets go by division.

LW- Horedecki, Stout, TNT, Bocek 145- Hominick
WW- Newton, Joslin, Goulet
MW- Kang,Cote, Doerkson, MacDonald, Starnes
LHW- Valimaki
HW- Goodridge, Midoux, Sosynzki, Beneteau

There is a lot of good Canadian fighters but like Randy said on the interview he had with the score the training institutions and whole legalization process has hampered the widespread growth of MMA in Canada. Yet has still not stopped us from putting out top tier guys like GSP, Newton, Kang etc.
Ultimate_fighter
2/15/08 11:36:32AM
Carlos Newton is one of the best fighters in the world, so i believe he is the second best canadian fighter,..
gravy13
2/15/08 12:55:32PM
What? Nobody picked Goulet?
themmadigest
2/15/08 1:09:24PM
I'd go with Kang too.
MattHughesFan
2/15/08 9:08:13PM
I'd have to say newton
Pages: 1 [2]