205 = not for Vitor

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » 205 = not for Vitor
joshryanshepherd
7/31/09 4:26:17PM
His Frame and Skills are at there Peak at 185, and he expressed many times before that he wants to stay at 185. so why is he fighting at 205 now?!

i hope his Franklin fight is at most a catchweight fight at 195.
i just think Belfort will make an awesome impact at 185. PLUS THE WAND REMATCH!!!
chickmagnet
7/31/09 4:29:34PM
It wont matter, he will beat Rich at 205 but I do believe at 185 this fight would be more exciting, Belfort will make a huge impact at 185. He has the skill set to beat anyone in the division. I expect him to be the champ @ 185 in 2010.
emfleek
7/31/09 4:31:01PM

Posted by joshryanshepherd

His Frame and Skills are at there Peak at 185, and he expressed many times before that he wants to stay at 185. so why is he fighting at 205 now?!

joshryanshepherd
7/31/09 4:34:50PM

Posted by chickmagnet

It wont matter, he will beat Rich at 205 but I do believe at 185 this fight would be more exciting, Belfort will make a huge impact at 185. He has the skill set to beat anyone in the division. I expect him to be the champ @ 185 in 2010.

i agree

Vitors fight are always awesome and i look for him to be extremely hungry since his last fight was canceled. Rich is having nothing but super fights now and i love it. but like you said Vitor could possibly be champ soon.

maybe if he beats rich and then fights the nate V maia winner. he could get an early title shot
mkiv9secsupra
7/31/09 4:40:31PM
Vitor is perfectly capable at 205, imo. He beat Wanderlei at LHW and Herring at HW. He has enough skill and technique to offset a slight size disadvantage at 205 but i doubt he is going to stay at 205 anyways. Im sure any capable fighter would take on Rich at 205 if given the opportunity....
joshryanshepherd
7/31/09 4:46:09PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Vitor is perfectly capable at 205, imo. He beat Wanderlei at LHW and Herring at HW. He has enough skill and technique to offset a slight size disadvantage at 205 but i doubt he is going to stay at 205 anyways. Im sure any capable fighter would take on Rich at 205 if given the opportunity....

your right but i dont think you understand what i meant.

Rashad can fight HW but why should he? Bisping can fight 205 but....im sorry i take that back. BJ can fight at 170 but why should he?

you know? vitor can give them all a fight but he is striving to be a champion no sense in making it harder on yourself ( at least until hes champ)
mkiv9secsupra
7/31/09 4:59:37PM

Posted by joshryanshepherd

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

your right but i dont think you understand what i meant.

Rashad can fight HW but why should he? Bisping can fight 205 but....im sorry i take that back. BJ can fight at 170 but why should he?

you know? vitor can give them all a fight but he is striving to be a champion no sense in making it harder on yourself ( at least until hes champ)

I see what you mean but i just dont see Vitor becoming a champ. I cant see him beating many fighters like Henderson or Marquardt at 185. The guys who can take him down i think will simply control him and get UDs over him. I would love to see him take on Wanderlei at 185 and see if the first fight was a fluke
Hendo67
7/31/09 5:14:57PM
Vitor just had terrible style matchups at 205, i mean look...

Tito Ortiz (loss)
Randy Couture (loss)
Randy Couture (loss)
Dan Henderson (loss)

Those are 4 very good wrestlers, and they kept him grounded.

I do agree that 185 is better for Vitor, but his key losses at 205 are all to good wrestlers, I even bet on Lindland to win because he's a good wrestler.
Amigop
7/31/09 5:26:54PM
Because franklin is the ultimate 185 gatekeeper
Wallass
7/31/09 5:48:31PM
Honestly am I the only one that thinks Vitors overrated. He will lose to Franklin and then lose to Tito aswell. 185 is a better fit for him but he still wouldnt get through Hendo, Maia or even Bisping, Im sure he could squeeze out a victory or two obver the likes of Gouveia or Belcher but I havent seen much from Vitor in the last few years to convince me hell be a future middleweight champ or even still in the UFC in 2011.
prozacnation1978
7/31/09 7:10:15PM
i totally agree mae this fight into a catchweight already keep vitor at 185
breakdown5
7/31/09 7:43:49PM
I think emfleek nailed it. They needed a more interesting fight than Hendo/Franklin II so they flashed some green to Vitor with the promise of his next fight at MW I bet.

sclasclemski
7/31/09 7:44:17PM
I agree that I don't like Vitor at 205...I think they are doing this fight because its a good draw on short notice...I think Dan v Vitor 2 would make alot more sense but I'm thinking they are giving Vitor this fight at 205 so it doesn't relaly affect his standing at 185 win or lose kind of like the catchweight fight for rich and Wand

BTW--HELL YEAH VITOR IS BACK IN THE UFC!!!
Rush
7/31/09 8:13:55PM
What I am wondering is whether or not his hands will be fast or not. I don't mind him being at 205 as long as his hands don't slow down. In the fight against Rich it might be better for him to come in a little lighter so he cuts less and can keep the pace high.
hippysmacker
8/1/09 12:04:42AM
slapshot
8/1/09 12:21:44AM
I still think Franklin will beat him, Rich has had some fights that he looked less than exciting in but he still finds a way to win and IMO he's more well rounded.
ncordless
8/1/09 1:30:40AM

Posted by Hendo67

Vitor just had terrible style matchups at 205, i mean look...

Tito Ortiz (loss)
Randy Couture (loss)
Randy Couture (loss)
Dan Henderson (loss)

Those are 4 very good wrestlers, and they kept him grounded.

I do agree that 185 is better for Vitor, but his key losses at 205 are all to good wrestlers, I even bet on Lindland to win because he's a good wrestler.

Vitor lost to Tito, Chuck, Randy, Hendo and Overeem and Sakuraba in his prime (in a close fight). People talk like Vitor became horrible at 205.

Really, he just came out the wrong end of a bunch of really tough fights. It is like when people said Hendo was not really that good just because he lost to Rampage and Anderson.

Almost any fighter would have lost to those fighters at that time.
thunderstruck
8/4/09 1:06:49PM
can vitor dominate 185 ? i dont think so .be competitive against top tier 185ers ? abesolutely . ask myself questions and answer them ? apparently. annoying to even myself ?yes . gonna stop now before i look like a retardet know it all moron ? yeah i guess ...