Who at 205 has what it takes to cause machida problems?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who at 205 has what it takes to cause machida problems?
Pookie
6/28/08 4:43:33PM
Machida is ofcourse, notorious for having one of the hardest styles out there to adapt too.

Who in your mind will be his kryptonite? Theres always a fighter who has your number, just who has his?
Taylor8766
6/28/08 4:45:16PM
I think Wanderlei, because he will just keep pressing the action and catch machida with some vicious shots
Omega
6/28/08 4:50:06PM
Rashad Evans
Pookie
6/28/08 4:52:39PM

Posted by Omega

Rashad Evans

i am really curious as to why rashad?

Will it be his striking? Or his wrestling?
Pookie
6/28/08 5:03:19PM
I personally think it is going to be somebody with a really technical defensive stand-up game, with offensively the ability to either get in really quick or to strike from a distance.

Foot work is the key. So i would have to say either shogun or rampage. Page has always excelled against counterpunchers by parrying and counter punching them with explosive bursts forward getting him into his striking range. Machida has the footwork and relfexes to back out, but for how long? if he can do it for 5 rounds then its his but at some point i think page would catch him.
And shogun i feel can strike with him from outside machidas punching range with his kicks, allowing him to not have to risk getting hit just to set up an offense. Not to mention his kicks are a better than machida's. This will force machida to try something new, something more aggressive.
Ive been thinking about wanderlei v. machida since the jardine fight and have changed my tune from wanderlei to machida having the advantage. Wanderlei if he connects right can put anybody out, but when he throws he sets his feet and hes stationary as hes swinging. This plays well against fighters that come forward like rampage or fighters with just a general lack of footwork like jardine, but machida always sticks and moves, hes moving away at all times and his footwork and mobility far exceed wanderlei's. If wanderlei decided to chase machida i think machida would become really active, as wanderlei leaves himself open when he swings wide Machida will have plenty of opportunites to sneak in punches. He did the same against Franklin. Also when Wandy is chasing how is his power going to be affected? his feet arent going to be placed firmly, his motion for throwing those bombs will be disturbed. That one punch mega power will fade without his feet under him properly.

...just my thoughts
stock
6/28/08 5:31:03PM
I think Wanderlei, Quinton, Griffin, and Liddell could all be problematic for him.

Although, if him and liddell fought, it could possibly be the most boring in fight in UFC history. I think Machida may pull it out, 3 jabs to 2.
Pookie
6/28/08 5:33:57PM

Posted by stock

I think Wanderlei, Quinton, Griffin, and Liddell could all be problematic for him.

Although, if him and liddell fought, it could possibly be the most boring in fight in UFC history. I think Machida may pull it out, 3 jabs to 2.

kinda true ... although i personally think machida would beat liddell decisively for more than a couple of reasons
Aaronno9
6/28/08 5:56:03PM
Id like to see Machidas chin tested before i decide who i think will beat him. I mean, if his chins solid then its gona be hard to anybody to pose him a problem, but if its not so good id see guys like chuck, wandy and shogun causing him problems.
voodoo-jitsu
6/28/08 6:05:02PM
im not sure who but i think a good gameplan would be to have machida come to him instead of chasing him around and getting caught with counter strikes
CantAndleDaRiddum
6/28/08 6:15:43PM
shogun
xposipx
6/28/08 6:36:16PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Id like to see Machidas chin tested before i decide who i think will beat him. I mean, if his chins solid then its gona be hard to anybody to pose him a problem, but if its not so good id see guys like chuck, wandy and shogun causing him problems.

I honestly think he would beat those guys. Chuck is a counter-striker who isn't quick enough for Machida(anymore). Wandy -maybe, but I think Machidas technique throws him off...he's a great test though. Shogun..way too sloppy and slow for Machida and their ground games are a wash. I think a guy with great takedowns would give him the most trouble...possibly dan henderson or even matt hamill believe it or not. Rampage would be the ultimate test for him though. Just my opinion though.
teddythetuna
6/28/08 6:48:29PM
I think Rampage. Very Agressive, KO power, Good wrestling, Good footwork, Good Chin, and slams. With that said i think Machida will be champ before the end of 2009.
juanez13
6/28/08 7:45:02PM
i'd have to say Rampage, because he cuts off angles ( Ala when he fought Chuck, showed great foot work))...+ he counters to everything that is thrown at him (again Ala the chuck fight, every punch Chuck threw rampage would follow with a combo of his own)......i think those are the two thing that are most important to beat machida, cut him off, and dont cover up to his punches and let him get away, cover than counter....that why i'd have to give it to Page.
warglory
6/28/08 8:34:21PM
I agree with most in this tread; Jackson is just a freak right now, however, I do think that if Machida gets the next title shot, I don't know if Jackson (assuming he beats Griffin, which isn't a prediction mind you) will be able to figure out Machida, despite the hot streak he is on right now.

Machida is my favorite for being champion in 2009, however, with this stacked division, anything could happen.

Does anyone know what Rampage would do with Machida if he took him down though? Machida clearly has better ground skills and seems to be able to get out of bad situations quite easily in order to get back to his feet. The only way Rampage could beat him is with an aggressive flurry.
Mchubb316
6/28/08 9:44:15PM

Posted by Taylor8766

I think Wanderlei, because he will just keep pressing the action and catch machida with some vicious shots

Agree 100%. We have talked about this topic on here before. Wand is not afraid to get hit coming in, and has the endurance to chase Machida around until he can clinch with him and knock him out.
NatedawgThaM
6/28/08 10:01:29PM
A chutebox pro toge like Thiago or Wandy Silva or Shogun since relentless aggression with good skills on the feet and ground haven't proved not to be his weakness yet.

Or an extremely well rounded guy like Rampage with a great camp that makes good gameplans for him. Machida wouldn't be able to do anything except out point him. I think Rampage is the man who will beat him personally.

But I think Anderson Silva is the man I'm most confident in.
ohiostate1016
6/28/08 10:56:21PM
If he stays at 205, Anderson Silva has what it takes to give EVERYONE problems.
Omega
6/28/08 11:18:59PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Omega

Rashad Evans

i am really curious as to why rashad?

Will it be his striking? Or his wrestling?

Just his unorthodox approach to everything.
warglory
6/29/08 1:30:13AM

Posted by Mchubb316

Posted by Taylor8766

Agree 100%. We have talked about this topic on here before. Wand is not afraid to get hit coming in, and has the endurance to chase Machida around until he can clinch with him and knock him out.

You put a lot of emphasis on Wandy being able to control Machida and getting him where he wants him. The truth is, Wandy will not be able to take Machida down, and if he does, he'll have incredible difficulties pounding him out. Wandy also won't be able to stand toe to toe with Machida because Machida will have none of it, Machida is too good at evasion, and Wandy isn't a technical enough striker to figure out how to deal with the elusiveness. The only way Wandy would win this match is if he quickly closed the distance with Machida and managed to lock in a clinch for some dirty boxing, or some devastating muay thai for a TKO. Otherwise, Machida would carry this to a UD, in his favor.
Mastodon2
6/29/08 6:39:32AM
Aggressive fighters who aren't horrible strikers, Tito was far too sluggish and telegraphed to even have a chance of hurting him. Rampage, Shogun and Wanderlei make a good trinity for beating Machida.

I should point out at this point, I'm not totally sold on Machida thus far.