2012 NFL Draft: Early Look

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » 2012 NFL Draft: Early Look
Next Page »
Kpro
1/9/12 12:29:31PM
All but 4 non-playoff teams know where they're picking, and those will be decided by coinflips probably late February, all playoff teams are 21-32 depending on who goes how far. Who is your team, and who would you like to see them get at that spot, or what position, etc

My Seahawks are 11 or 12 depending on a coinflip with the Chiefs (who if they won will have been one pick ahead of us 3 of the last 4 years I think).

I'd like us to get a QB but since Barkley and Landry announced they will be returning to school and Luck and RG3 will be well gone by pick 11/12 it's not looking likely our first will go to a QB. Although there are always Flacco's and Ponders who are projected 4th rounders in January and go mid 1st after all the combines and workouts, so who knows. Tannehill, Foles, etc don't seem like 11/12 picks but things may shape up differently.

We're looking to lock up Lynch long-term and I think we will which will take us out of the Trent Richardson pick, if he would even be there at 11/12.

At CB, if Claiborne or Kirkpatrick fall to us, we have to take them but so far it's looking like they won't last til then. There are a few others that wouldn't be reaches at 11/12 if our scouts like them, but height is our focus with DB's as we had the tallest secondary in NFL history this year.

After that it falls to DL as we were bottom 10 in sacks and had only one player over 4 sacks (Clemons with 11). If we could get another edge rusher DE/OLB putting up double digit sacks, we'd greatly improve our pass rush. Coples, Still, Upshaw, or Nick Perry with the USC/Carroll history all appear to be options.

Really just disappointed (for the Seahawks, good for the players for sticking in college) by the Barkley/Landry announcements as Tavaris isn't the answer and is the only QB on our roster as Whitehurst is an UFA and unless he takes clipboard holder money, isn't worth our time. Could make the Seahawks overpay for a guy like Flynn, but like Kolb, may just be a product of the system, and we luckily aren't known for overpaying despite being owned by a billionaire.

We let our asst HC Tom Cable have his way and didn't pick a position other than OL til round 4 so this year defensive-minded Carroll goes with almost all defense, aside from finding a QB somewhere and maybe a mid-late round utility interior lineman.

So who is your team, and based on where they're picking, who do you want them to target?
Kpro
1/9/12 12:32:41PM
Curious to hear your thoughts on Luck/Manning, Fleek.
emfleek
1/9/12 12:55:26PM

Posted by Kpro

Well, Irsay is going to draft Luck. That's pretty much a guarantee from everything I've been able to gather.

So, the real question is whether or not Manning sticks around. There are 3 potential scenarios.

SCENARIO #1: Peyton stays after restructuring his contract and mentors Luck for the next couple seasons.

SCENARIO #2: Sign and trade. Peyton gets "released" in March and resigned to a more reasonable contract for a guy coming off of his 3rd neck surgery in 19 months. He gets traded for a handful of draft picks and Luck gets the nod right away.

SCENARIO #3: Peyton never regains his arm strength and decides to call it a career and eventually ends up coaching.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if any of the 3 happened. I'd like to see #1 because I'm about the biggest Manning nuthugger you'll find but I'm leaning more towards #2 being what actually happens. Then again...Irsay is one of the strangest and most cryptic people out there so who knows. He could surprise us all by trading the 1st pick for a boat load of picks in this year's draft and next.
Theoutlaw08
1/9/12 1:01:08PM
I think Manning will play a few more years. I think he will mentor Luck.
Its proven to work. Favre did it with Rodgers. Rookie QBs should hold a clip board for a few years and learn and study defenses.
Kpro
1/9/12 1:05:37PM
I think #2 will happen. As a Seahawks fan, I'd trade our 11/12 this year and our next 3 1st rounders for the #1 spot. If they traded the pick they'd be looking for pro bowl quality guys who've been in the league to hit their Manning window, not 4 1st rounders. Tough spot for the fanbase, great spot for the organization, but I don't see them co-existing at all.
kingsmasher
1/9/12 1:05:47PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Kpro

Well, Irsay is going to draft Luck. That's pretty much a guarantee from everything I've been able to gather.

So, the real question is whether or not Manning sticks around. There are 3 potential scenarios.

SCENARIO #1: Peyton stays after restructuring his contract and mentors Luck for the next couple seasons.

SCENARIO #2: Sign and trade. Peyton gets "released" in March and resigned to a more reasonable contract for a guy coming off of his 3rd neck surgery in 19 months. He gets traded for a handful of draft picks and Luck gets the nod right away.

SCENARIO #3: Peyton never regains his arm strength and decides to call it a career and eventually ends up coaching.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if any of the 3 happened. I'd like to see #1 because I'm about the biggest Manning nuthugger you'll find but I'm leaning more towards #2 being what actually happens. Then again...Irsay is one of the strangest and most cryptic people out there so who knows. He could surprise us all by trading the 1st pick for a boat load of picks in this year's draft and next.

Id say no way is Manning there and more than likely ends up in Arizona...Too much money and the Colts need help elsewhere...but the Colts really could trade teh pick get 4 first round picks and more than likely suck next year and get a top pick maybe the top..and get a QB but I know theres no way to pass up on Luck...hes too much like Manning...

With teh rookie wage scale thoguh First rd picks to me are so much more valuble cause you can afford them for 3 to 4 years for a reasonable price..

Im a Jaguar fan...We are in trouble I think...First I know MJD is great but to invest big in a RB is useless and has been for years and doesnt win rings...The top 5 rushers this weekend 3 were undrafted...

Jags need a WR but beating the Colts in week 17 moved us down to 7...We need a DE and CB and Oline...Personally I hvae no idea what the team does and the GM is a joke...IF the Colts can fire Polian for what he has already accomplished how do the Jags keep this guy...

He misses in the draft and anyone can offer contracts in free agency...My money is Jags draft DE or Oline and then sign over the hill 33 year old Reggie Wayne to a 3 year deal...

Kpro
1/9/12 1:09:35PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Id say no way is Manning there and more than likely ends up in Arizona...Too much money and the Colts need help elsewhere...but the Colts really could trade teh pick get 4 first round picks and more than likely suck next year and get a top pick maybe the top..and get a QB but I know theres no way to pass up on Luck...hes too much like Manning...

Im a Jaguar fan...We are in trouble I think...First I know MJD is great but to invest big in a RB is useless and has been for years and doesnt win rings...The top 5 rushers this weekend 3 were undrafted...

Jags need a WR but beating the Colts in week 17 moved us down to 7...We need a DE and CB and Oline...Personally I hvae no idea what the team does and the GM is a joke...IF the Colts can fire Polian for what he has already accomplished how do the Jags keep this guy...

He misses in the draft and anyone can offer contracts in free agency...My money is Jags draft DE or Oline and then sign over the hill 33 year old Reggie Wayne to a 3 year deal...

Witht eh rookie

Polian was jumping up and down with excitement when he heard the Jets were going to find a better #2 QB to compete with Sanchize.

Rumors are he's already offered Mark Brunell a 10 year $200million contract. All guaranteed.
emfleek
1/9/12 1:40:44PM
Manning will NOT end up in Arizona. They're not going to give up on Kolb after 1 season.
kopower
1/9/12 1:50:33PM
Vikes have #3 pick, and we need a lot of help in various areas. I would love to get Kalil, but sounds like the Rams will probably nab him up. Apparently, Claiborne from LSU is legit. I wouldn't even mind if they went receiver and drafted Blackmon.

I would prefer they trade the pick, and fall down a few spots. Should be interesting after Luck goes #1.
Kpro
1/9/12 2:01:39PM

Posted by kopower

Vikes have #3 pick, and we need a lot of help in various areas. I would love to get Kalil, but sounds like the Rams will probably nab him up. Apparently, Claiborne from LSU is legit. I wouldn't even mind if they went receiver and drafted Blackmon.

I would prefer they trade the pick, and fall down a few spots. Should be interesting after Luck goes #1.

I think they'll trade it. Redskins will want to get past the Browns at #4 to grab RG3 and would trade their #6 and next years first for sure. Vikings get a guy they want at 6 anyways and a 2013 1st rounder out of it. Who knows, maybe the Browns would give both 1st rounders #4 & #23 to move to #3 to make sure the Skins/Hawks/Dolphins/etc don't leapfrog them, if the Browns want RG3. No matter what happens, Vikings come out ahead. Barkley/Landry returning to college made that #3 pick very valuable.
kingsmasher
1/9/12 2:03:24PM

Posted by emfleek

Manning will NOT end up in Arizona. They're not going to give up on Kolb after 1 season.

Well isnt Kolbs contract up? I saw that on TV and it makes good sense...
kingsmasher
1/9/12 2:05:49PM

Posted by kopower

IMO well unpopular opinion IM not a Blackmon lover hes only 6'1 nad ruyns crappy routes and had off field issues...A dui during the season...IF i am looking for WRs these days its 6' 3'' and up...Blackmon isnt fast either and plays in a conference that is WR friendly...If he was in the SEC i might buy into the hype...
kopower
1/9/12 2:09:37PM

No matter what happens, Vikings come out ahead.

Careful what you say. We don't need them missing another pick again. But yeah, I think if they fall down a few spots, and get a top ten this year and next , it would satisfy a lot of needs they have.
Kpro
1/9/12 2:17:25PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by emfleek

Well isnt Kolbs contract up? I saw that on TV and it makes good sense...

He signed a 6 year $65 million dollar contract that includes $21 million guaranteed less than 6 months ago, along with the 1st round pick and Anonio Rodgers-Cromartie that AZ had to trade to get him.
cowcatcher
1/9/12 2:24:16PM
I'm guessing the Packers get a lineman, either defense of offense, with the last pick in the first round after repeating as SB champs.

Favre didn't really mentor Rodgers when they were both here. Rumor has it that they didn't talk a whole lot and Brett was kind of standoffish, which I can understand considering how things shook out eventually. Manning seems more professional than Favre on a lot of levels so keeping both might work there. If I'm the Colts I probably trade the pick to grab a bunch of others because when a team falls from contender to worst team in football on the heels of losing one guy they really need a lot of help up and down the roster.
Kpro
1/9/12 2:30:22PM

Posted by kopower

No matter what happens, Vikings come out ahead.

Careful what you say. We don't need them missing another pick again. But yeah, I think if they fall down a few spots, and get a top ten this year and next , it would satisfy a lot of needs they have.

I know skill players are sexier picks but if I'm a Vikings fan, with Charlie Johnson somehow a starter and Hutchinson talking retirement, I'm trading down a few spots with the Skins/Fins/Browns/Hawks and wanting O-line with my 1st and 2nd rounders to protect Ponder from the pass-rush in the NFC North.
Twenty20Dollars
1/9/12 2:35:32PM
I'm wanting to know who flips this coin for the Chiefs and Seahawks and who gets to call it.

Chiefs should probably go O-line, but I did see this mock draft where this guy had Chiefs taking Trent Richardson, which would be nice as Thomas Jones is decling and Trent and Charles would be a great 1-2 punch like Charles and Jones were in the 10-6 season.

Though the mock draft that the guy had, he was stretching on some picks. So Chiefs probably look at O-line or D-line.

I wonder who will trade up for RG3 or who will try to pursue a FA QB, Flynn/Orton or whoever else is out there.
cowcatcher
1/9/12 2:38:55PM
If you guys end up with Flynn it's a better option than what you have there already Kpro. The big game Flynn had almost hurt his stock because now people are thinking he's a product of the system, but Rodgers hasn't put up the numbers that Flynn did in that game, no Packers QB ever had a line like that, so the guy can play in my book. It certainly helps having talent around him, but the O-line was down to it's last couple warm bodies that game, so it's not like he went out there with the best possible Packers team either. I like Flynn's chances of being a pretty good starting QB in the league.
Kpro
1/9/12 2:42:34PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I'm wanting to know who flips this coin for the Chiefs and Seahawks and who gets to call it.

Yeah, all I know is it will be at the scouting combine Feb 22-28.
kopower
1/9/12 4:11:38PM

Posted by cowcatcher

If you guys end up with Flynn it's a better option than what you have there already Kpro. The big game Flynn had almost hurt his stock because now people are thinking he's a product of the system, but Rodgers hasn't put up the numbers that Flynn did in that game, no Packers QB ever had a line like that, so the guy can play in my book. It certainly helps having talent around him, but the O-line was down to it's last couple warm bodies that game, so it's not like he went out there with the best possible Packers team either. I like Flynn's chances of being a pretty good starting QB in the league.

Flynn impressed the hell out of me his last game. He's gonna get paid this offseason.

How'd T Jack work out for ya this year Kpro
Kpro
1/9/12 4:17:21PM

Posted by kopower

Flynn impressed the hell out of me his last game. He's gonna get paid this offseason.

How'd T Jack work out for ya this year Kpro

Honestly, with the lockout, and hiring the Vikings OC to be our OC, Tavaris knew the playbook so he was the best option for the year. I can't hate too much because the reasoning behind it makes sense.

But for 2012, we get a full offseason, a draft, and free agency, and there are many better options. If we still have T-Jack starting next year I will be
kopower
1/9/12 4:22:50PM
I do admit, I miss his jumping passes he throws from time to time.
tn_rebel
1/9/12 5:55:49PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Kpro

I would hate to see his career end but I would love to see him back in Knoxville wearing a headset.
Twenty20Dollars
1/9/12 6:22:22PM
1. Colts - Luck
2. Rams - Kahlil or Blackmon
3. Vikings - Claiborne
4. Browns - RG3 or Trent Richardson
5. Buccaneers - Reiff OT or Kirkpatrick CB

all I've got for now. It will be interesting to see what the Browns do and whether Hillis comes back and if he doesn't do they go Richardson or RG3, if someone doesn't trade up before them for RG3
Shawn91111
1/9/12 6:41:03PM
Giants need Linebacker help, Secondary help and help at the OL
UFC_Fanatic
1/9/12 7:59:32PM
I'm a chiefs fan, but unforntunately my boss hates football season so I didn't get to see very many games this season because I worked while most of them were on. Still, based on what I have seen, I think we need some more help on the d-line. When Hali is just about our only person putting pressure on the qb, it's a pretty good sign you need a little help. You need at least 2 people wreaking havok back there. We also might need some O-line help to protect the quarterback a little better. Tony Richardson would be phenominal if we could find a way to get out hands on him, especially considering that IMO, Charles is still a question mark at this point. An ACL injury to the style of RB that he is can be devastating and possible change his entire career. If would could get our hands on RG3 I would be stoked because I like Cassel, but I sometimes wonder if he truly is a starter level QB or if he is just one of those guys whose talent level is more along the lines of Worlds Greatest Back Up. Still, I imagine we've still got him through next season, so we'll see how he does and maybe next year will be a year with more great QBs in it.
BuffaloDave
1/10/12 11:42:36AM
The Bills have the number 10 pick.

You never know with the Bills when it comes to draft day. They seem to either draft busts with top 10 picks or go completely out of course and draft non team needs ie. CJ Spiller.

Right now they need DB's, pass rushers at OLB or DE, and WR help.

Last year showed signs of improvement on draft day, they did pretty good, drafting heavily on defensive side. Dareus would've been more of a force if Kyle Williams didn't go down within the first couple games.

I want them to go after a DB before anything, Terrence McGee will most likely be released, he is to injury prone and is getting old, Leodis McKelvin is just garbage, That leaves us with Florence and AJ Williams.

Bubbles
1/12/12 1:12:07AM

Posted by BuffaloDave

The Bills have the number 10 pick.

You never know with the Bills when it comes to draft day. They seem to either draft busts with top 10 picks or go completely out of course and draft non team needs ie. CJ Spiller.

Right now they need DB's, pass rushers at OLB or DE, and WR help.

Last year showed signs of improvement on draft day, they did pretty good, drafting heavily on defensive side. Dareus would've been more of a force if Kyle Williams didn't go down within the first couple games.

I want them to go after a DB before anything, Terrence McGee will most likely be released, he is to injury prone and is getting old, Leodis McKelvin is just garbage, That leaves us with Florence and AJ Williams.

drafting Spiller was fine when we didnt know what we had with Lynch. Jackson was signed to be a depth RB, but then took over and look what hes done. Spiller was just as effective as Jackson as his replacement so ripping on drafting Spiller is absurd imo. can you imagine how must more painful their offense would be if Spiller wasnt there in the last half of the season? hopefully they utilize a 2 back system like Philly did with Staley and Westbrook

yesterday i heard Buddy Nix talking about who he is looking to draft and improving the pass rush is his #1 priority...unless a Calvin Johnson esque WR falls to him. honestly if there was any semblance of a pass rush, our DBs wouldnt look so terrible. giving any QB in this league that much time in the pocket will allow them to pick apart any secondary. if you get him to move around and hurry some throws (and knock him on his ass), he wont be as accurate/effective and the DBs will look a bit better. pass rush is their main concern. Buffalo tied for 3rd fewest sacks in the league...and was only that high because of the 9 sack game vs Washington. they had 20 interceptions, good for 5th in the league.

that and going back to a 4-3 defense will make them not so terrible next season
Kpro
1/12/12 7:37:56AM

Posted by Bubbles

Buffalo tied for 3rd fewest sacks in the league...and was only that high because of the 9 sack game vs Washington.

I already know the Bills are gonna snatch the pass rusher at #10 who the Seahawks wanted at 11/12.

Top guys out there, pre-combine, that fit the bill appear to be Quinton Coples, Courney Upshaw, Devon Still, Whitney Mercilus, Nick Perry, Melvin Ingram.
Bubbles
1/12/12 5:45:35PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Bubbles

Buffalo tied for 3rd fewest sacks in the league...and was only that high because of the 9 sack game vs Washington.

I already know the Bills are gonna snatch the pass rusher at #10 who the Seahawks wanted at 11/12.

Top guys out there, pre-combine, that fit the bill appear to be Quinton Coples, Courney Upshaw, Devon Still, Whitney Mercilus, Nick Perry, Melvin Ingram.

ill be honest, i have no idea who any of these guys are. im going to put blind faith in Buddy Nix that he can choose the right guy
Pages: [1] 2