2012 NBA free agency thread

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » 2012 NBA free agency thread
« Previous Page | Next Page »
george112
7/3/12 7:53:06PM
Any news on the Houston rockets? Besides Lin?
ChrisSabal
7/3/12 8:18:59PM

Posted by george112

they aren't looking smart that is for sure. Signing Omer Asik to the contract they did will be terrible unless the Bulls for some reason match them.
george112
7/3/12 8:28:44PM

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by george112

they aren't looking smart that is for sure. Signing Omer Asik to the contract they did will be terrible unless the Bulls for some reason match them.

Thats the problem I have with the rockets. They seem like they want a "quick fix" and not a championship contender

Everybody in Houston is in love with the GM. I'm so so about him. We need more effort
Shawn91111
7/3/12 9:43:35PM
In the Rockets defense, Asik is averaging around 8 pts 13 rebounds and almost 3 blks per 36 minutes. But he isnt worth it right now, he will have a ton of pressure on him and wont really have a superstar around him.
Poor_Franklin
7/3/12 9:44:35PM

Posted by ChrisSabal

Deron has signed with the Nets for 5 years close to 100 mil

HUGE!
Shawn91111
7/3/12 9:50:18PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by ChrisSabal

Deron has signed with the Nets for 5 years close to 100 mil

HUGE!

Very huge, now if Orlando moves Howard that gives them 2 great pieces and a good one in Johnson. On top of moving into Brooklyn to battle the Knicks over city rights.

If they dont get Howard they still have Willaims, Johnson, Wallace - Also Brook Lopez. He has flashes but you are that friggin big and get 5 rebounds in 35 minutes means he isnt trying. Thats Eddy Curry territory
Shawn91111
7/3/12 9:51:34PM
From David Aldridge '

"Steve Nash is allowing the Knicks time to create a sign-and-trade deal that would be acceptable to the Suns while also getting him a higher salary, according to a source.

Landry Fields was one player Phoenix was known to have interest in, but he agreed to a $20 million, three-year offer sheet with the Raptors on Tuesday that takes him out of the running."

Jason Kidd deciding between the Knicks and the Mavs
george112
7/3/12 10:00:44PM
Houston needs a superstar
ChrisSabal
7/3/12 10:57:35PM

Posted by Shawn91111

In the Rockets defense, Asik is averaging around 8 pts 13 rebounds and almost 3 blks per 36 minutes. But he isnt worth it right now, he will have a ton of pressure on him and wont really have a superstar around him.

Me being a Bulls fan I can tell you right now he isn't worth any of what he is being paid. He is getting lucky in a very weak center league. He is a good defender and is a great center to have come off the bench but his offense is atrocious and his hands are made of butter. Not even close to worth the 15 mil he will be paid his last year.
Bubbles
7/3/12 11:37:02PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Jason Kidd deciding between the Knicks and the Mavs

as my all time favourite player, I hope he does not go to NY. He finally won his ring in his 3rd appearance and has no chance at overtaking top spot in all time steals or assists, or 2nd place in 3pt made (although Jason Terry is only 90 behind him in at #4). He also is sitting very comfortably at #3 in all time triple doubles. Plus I don't like the Knicks lol

personally I think its time to call it a career, but I will fully support him wherever he goes...even if it is to the Knicks
Bubbles
7/3/12 11:49:26PM

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by Bubbles
the Raptors never had a SG anyways. DeRozan is as inconsistent as they come and who knows how this rookie will fare in the NBA.

yeah but at least DeRozan is a solid player. They shouldn't concentrate on getting a position they already have when they have a huge hole at SF.

DeRozan has potential to be a solid player, but he cannot be counted on on a nightly basis. When they lost Bargnani, the table was set for DeRozan to prove himself as a leader and a guy the team can count on - it was hit or miss with him. Now DeRozan can be a very good 6th man and be useful that way, but offensively and defensively, he is not someone the Raptors can rely on to be consistent.

at SF they have James Johnson who imo fits perfectly in Dwayne Casey's system. He is strong defensively, pretty good rebounder, and can hit mid range shots. His 3pt shooting needs a bit of work but its passable. The Raptors need a consistent scoring SG, and hopefully this Ross kid is that player. Now if these Rudy Gay rumors are true, then DeRozan's deficiencies would be masked a bit and he can thrive as the #3 scoring option.

Right now their starting 5 would probably be Calderon, DeRozan, Johnson, Bargnani and Valanciunas. This isn't really a playoff worthy starting 5 (and in the East that is pretty sad), but a simple addition to SG/SF will bring this team to the playoffs, injuries pending
Bubbles
7/3/12 11:59:54PM

Posted by george112

rumors I heard around here is that Goran Dragic might be traded to Toronto depending on how the Nash saga turns out
ChrisSabal
7/4/12 12:00:44AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by Bubbles
the Raptors never had a SG anyways. DeRozan is as inconsistent as they come and who knows how this rookie will fare in the NBA.

yeah but at least DeRozan is a solid player. They shouldn't concentrate on getting a position they already have when they have a huge hole at SF.

DeRozan has potential to be a solid player, but he cannot be counted on on a nightly basis. When they lost Bargnani, the table was set for DeRozan to prove himself as a leader and a guy the team can count on - it was hit or miss with him. Now DeRozan can be a very good 6th man and be useful that way, but offensively and defensively, he is not someone the Raptors can rely on to be consistent.

at SF they have James Johnson who imo fits perfectly in Dwayne Casey's system. He is strong defensively, pretty good rebounder, and can hit mid range shots. His 3pt shooting needs a bit of work but its passable. The Raptors need a consistent scoring SG, and hopefully this Ross kid is that player. Now if these Rudy Gay rumors are true, then DeRozan's deficiencies would be masked a bit and he can thrive as the #3 scoring option.

Right now their starting 5 would probably be Calderon, DeRozan, Johnson, Bargnani and Valanciunas. This isn't really a playoff worthy starting 5 (and in the East that is pretty sad), but a simple addition to SG/SF will bring this team to the playoffs, injuries pending

You can't bench DeRozan who has proven himself in the NBA to a rookie who was a stretch at where they got him. Landry Fields would also have no room to start over DeRozan. DeRozan isn't an NBA star and I don't think anyone expected him to be and I'd say what he is doing is exceeding my expectations of him considering he didn't play too hot in college.

What I am saying is why address SG which isn't in that bad of a position when you need a SF/PG. They are addressing their PG which is a good move by them and if they can grab Nash they'll be close to playoffs but not there.

You need a good SF. DeRozan is good SG. Nash is still a great PG. Bargani is finally coming around and I'm sure Jonas will do fine in a weak center league.

Johnson by no means should be on any team's starting lineup. That should be the Raptor's first to second area of concern. But who knows maybe the Raptors are waiting on a SF like Rudy Gay and if thats true then I think they are moving in the right direction.
prophecy033
7/4/12 1:19:53AM

Posted by ChrisSabal

What I am saying is why address SG which isn't in that bad of a position when you need a SF/PG. They are addressing their PG which is a good move by them and if they can grab Nash they'll be close to playoffs but not there.

You need a good SF. DeRozan is good SG. Nash is still a great PG. Bargani is finally coming around and I'm sure Jonas will do fine in a weak center league.

Johnson by no means should be on any team's starting lineup. That should be the Raptor's first to second area of concern. But who knows maybe the Raptors are waiting on a SF like Rudy Gay and if thats true then I think they are moving in the right direction.

There may be other deals down the pipeline for a guy like DeRozan that we don't know about. A team may be willing to part with a SF for DeRozan and that may be why their trying to grab Fields
ChrisSabal
7/4/12 2:29:06PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by ChrisSabal

There may be other deals down the pipeline for a guy like DeRozan that we don't know about. A team may be willing to part with a SF for DeRozan and that may be why their trying to grab Fields

The Landry Fields deal was just so Steve Nash would stay away from the Knicks. But I guess the Knicks aren't going to match the offer so the Raptors plans look like they fell through.
Bubbles
7/4/12 5:52:09PM

Posted by ChrisSabal

You can't bench DeRozan who has proven himself in the NBA to a rookie who was a stretch at where they got him. Landry Fields would also have no room to start over DeRozan. DeRozan isn't an NBA star and I don't think anyone expected him to be and I'd say what he is doing is exceeding my expectations of him considering he didn't play too hot in college.

Jason Terry, James Harden, and Manu Ginobli have thrived being the 1st man off the bench. Why can't Toronto do that if they bring in someone to replace him? There is less pressure and he can still get his 30+ minutes a night. DeRozan is a 9th overall pick, ahead of Hansbrough and Jennings. His 17 ppg wouldn't be seem so bad if he wasn't the #2 scoring option (#1 when Bargs went down), played more consistently, had a 3 point shot, and was an above average defender.

I see Johnson like a Battier. Solid defensively, good rebounder, but not as great long range. If he improves his shot from 17+ feet out, he can very well be a starting SF. He should be no higher than the 4th option offensively (3rd when subs start to come on), but with the way Casey preaches defense first, I don't see why he cant be a starter alongside Calderon/Nash, DeRozan/whoever, Bargnani and Valenciunas as long as he doesn't take more than 10 shots a night. Toronto doesn't have much depth there, especially if they amnesty Kleiza, but he is a great complimentary player
Shawn91111
7/4/12 6:13:37PM
David Aldridge..

"source confirms sign/trade talks between Knicks/Suns 4 Nash back on, w/NY now willing 2 include Shumpert."
Shawn91111
7/4/12 9:10:13PM
How things have changed...

Lakers will get Steve Nash in sign and trade from Phoenix for Draft picks and cash. Told it's 2 firsts, 2 seconds, $3M.
Bubbles
7/4/12 9:42:09PM
thats a better deal for a rebuilding franchise, even if they are 20th overall picks. It's also a good place for Nash to attempt to make it to the finals
Ordep
7/5/12 1:51:51AM
Make it happen!!!

edit: screw it, image not loading
jakewalters
7/5/12 2:42:15AM
Lakers acquire Steve Nash from Suns in a sign-and-trade deal. In return, the Suns get four draft picks -- first rounders in 2013 and 2015 and second rounders in 2013 and 2014.

Made a separate thread about it just because this is going to be one of the biggest moves this off-season.
BuffaloDave
7/5/12 2:20:04PM
Rumored that Knicks will turn attention to try and bring back Raymond Felton. Probably smart since he played his best ball there.

Kidd 3yrs/9M to stay with Dallas.

Jamal Crawford to the Clips. 4yr/25M

ChrisSabal
7/5/12 4:26:42PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by ChrisSabal

Jason Terry, James Harden, and Manu Ginobli have thrived being the 1st man off the bench. Why can't Toronto do that if they bring in someone to replace him? There is less pressure and he can still get his 30+ minutes a night. DeRozan is a 9th overall pick, ahead of Hansbrough and Jennings. His 17 ppg wouldn't be seem so bad if he wasn't the #2 scoring option (#1 when Bargs went down), played more consistently, had a 3 point shot, and was an above average defender.

I see Johnson like a Battier. Solid defensively, good rebounder, but not as great long range. If he improves his shot from 17+ feet out, he can very well be a starting SF. He should be no higher than the 4th option offensively (3rd when subs start to come on), but with the way Casey preaches defense first, I don't see why he cant be a starter alongside Calderon/Nash, DeRozan/whoever, Bargnani and Valenciunas as long as he doesn't take more than 10 shots a night. Toronto doesn't have much depth there, especially if they amnesty Kleiza, but he is a great complimentary player

what I am saying is DeRozan shouldn't sit on the bench while a rookie plays above him.

Also you guys apparently traded for Kyle Lowry and I think that is a great move by the Raptors. Yeah Nash would have been great but Kyle Lowry is a very underrated PG.

I know what you are saying with Johnson because it is much like the Thabo approach that the Thunder use. But the Thunder also have the best bench player in the league with James Harden. Like I said before I don't think they should worry about SG(Even though Fields, Ross, and DeRozan all could play SF) when their SF is so weak.
prophecy033
7/5/12 4:47:43PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Rumored that Knicks will turn attention to try and bring back Raymond Felton. Probably smart since he played his best ball there.

Kidd 3yrs/9M to stay with Dallas.

Jamal Crawford to the Clips. 4yr/25M

He played his best ball under D'Antoni, it won't be the same his 2nd go in N.Y. glad Portland isn't trying to get him back. The guy kicks the ball out of bounce so much its not funny
Shawn91111
7/5/12 5:29:00PM
David Aldridge and Ric Bucher both confirm..

Jason Kidd has turned down 3 yr/$9.5M offer from Mavs to play w/Knicks--who are also likely to match Houston offer for Lin.

Kidd..chose NYK "because I think I can help." Also feels NYK has more "pieces."
prophecy033
7/5/12 5:31:12PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Jason Kidd has turned down 3 yr/$9.5M offer from Mavs to play w/Knicks--who are also likely to match Houston offer for Lin.

Carmelo is happy because that means he'll get to shoot the ball more
Shawn91111
7/5/12 5:34:47PM
Knicks need backup in the frontcourt still. Not sure if they can sign Camby or not.
prophecy033
7/5/12 5:45:20PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Knicks need backup in the frontcourt still. Not sure if they can sign Camby or not.

How much cap space do they have left? MLE still?
Bubbles
7/5/12 6:32:04PM

Posted by Shawn91111

now I have to cheer for the Knicks?
Bubbles
7/5/12 6:32:56PM

Posted by prophecy033
Carmelo is happy because that means he'll get to shoot the ball more

and rebound less
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5