2012 NBA free agency thread

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » 2012 NBA free agency thread
Next Page »
Bubbles
7/2/12 11:56:14AM
I think we should have a thread dedicated to this instead of separate threads (no offence proph).

Lakers pickup option on Bynum. Not sure why they didnt just offer him an extension.

full list of FAs here
prophecy033
7/2/12 12:05:58PM

Posted by Bubbles

I think we should have a thread dedicated to this instead of separate threads (no offence proph).

Lakers pickup option on Bynum. Not sure why they didnt just offer him an extension.

full list of FAs here

none taken
Shawn91111
7/2/12 3:47:17PM
Some of the teams are really hand tied in what they can offer and what free agents they can target until next year.

I know the Pistons are pretty set and cant offer anything until next year.
Poor_Franklin
7/2/12 4:12:56PM
Odom to the Clips will def be interesting to see. Im sure it made whichever Kardashian he is with pretty happy too
prophecy033
7/2/12 4:24:30PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Odom to the Clips will def be interesting to see. Im sure it made whichever Kardashian he is with pretty happy too

the biggest one
Shawn91111
7/2/12 4:24:42PM
It will be interesting to see if the Clips use Odom in the starting lineup or bring him off the bench to spell Blake or Jordan
prophecy033
7/2/12 5:21:19PM
Looks like Joe Johnson is headed to Brooklyn but it all depends on if Williams re-signs with the Nets
Shawn91111
7/2/12 5:53:23PM
The Hawks giving JJ $120 mil was unreal. I understand you have to show your fan base you are trying but, horrible contract.

Camby looking to return to the Knicks. would be a very nice backup to Chandler, something they could use and needed last year.
Ordep
7/2/12 5:55:21PM

Looks like the Nets will have their Big 3, even if it's not quite as big as they might have liked. Ken Berger of CBSSports.com reports: Framework of deal sending Joe Johnson from Atlanta to Brooklyn has been agreed to, two people familiar with details tell @CBSSports. Yahoo Sports reports that the deal includes sending a veritable bargain-price appetizer platter in return to Atlanta, with Jordan Farmar, Anthony Morrow, Jordan Williams, Johan Petro (yes, Johan Petro), and a sign-and-trade of DeShawn Stevenson to Atlanta along with the Nets' 2013 lottery-protected pick via Houston.

Story link

Well, ATL is getting nothing basically other than a bunch of expiring contracts. The real deal here is getting rid of that horrible contract.
Josh Smith wants out too, probably after next season. Re-building time with Horford-Teague-Jenkins as the center pieces. I'm glad I'll graduate soon so probably will be following another team by 2013.

--geez, I'm really starting to follow bbal even though I hate it
BuffaloDave
7/2/12 6:07:55PM

Posted by Shawn91111

The Hawks giving JJ $120 mil was unreal. I understand you have to show your fan base you are trying but, horrible contract.

Camby looking to return to the Knicks. would be a very nice backup to Chandler, something they could use and needed last year.

Camby for being old, is still a damn good on D. He's made a shit ton of money too, so the cost is probably cheap.
prophecy033
7/2/12 6:08:07PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Dudes lame, he gets a hang nail and he's our 2 weeks. If they can get him cheap and only play him 10-15 minutes
Shawn91111
7/2/12 6:17:03PM
When he's healthy Camby can be very effective in a Tyson Chandler way, but he's the Mike Swick of the NBA for sure.

Anthony Davis injured his ankle Sunday and most likely will be forced to withdraw from Team USA consideration
prophecy033
7/2/12 9:20:24PM
Ordep
7/2/12 11:02:49PM

Posted by prophecy033

Sources: Marvin Williams off to Utah

Danny Ferry cleaning the house in his first week on the job

People here are already loving him
ChrisSabal
7/2/12 11:17:42PM

Posted by Shawn91111

gave Joe Johnson that much because he was going to go to Chicago. So ATL wanted him back. Really bad move by ATL and virtually got nothing in their trade sending him away.
Shawn91111
7/2/12 11:23:30PM

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by Shawn91111

gave Joe Johnson that much because he was going to go to Chicago. So ATL wanted him back. Really bad move by ATL and virtually got nothing in their trade sending him away.

They moved the contract. Why would they get a lot in return when NJ takes on that contract? Its a good move by Atlanta, freeing them to rebuild with Johnson and Williams contracts moved
ChrisSabal
7/2/12 11:27:30PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by Shawn91111

They moved the contract. Why would they get a lot in return when NJ takes on that contract? Its a good move by Atlanta, freeing them to rebuild with Johnson and Williams contracts moved

Yeah I know what you are saying. Nets were in a better position from the go because of JJ's contract. I just think they could have talked to a number of different teams and at least got something out of the trade. The Nets gave them 0 things to be excited about. If they got MarShon Brooks then they could be excited about that but the Nets said no to giving them Brooks.
Bubbles
7/3/12 12:09:04AM

Posted by ChrisSabal

Yeah I know what you are saying. Nets were in a better position from the go because of JJ's contract. I just think they could have talked to a number of different teams and at least got something out of the trade. The Nets gave them 0 things to be excited about. If they got MarShon Brooks then they could be excited about that but the Nets said no to giving them Brooks.

Farmar is a pretty good backup PG and Morrow can be dangerous long range. I agree they aren't going to sell a ton of jerseys with these guys, but it does give them much needed depth. Willams can be a helpful 3rd string down low and Petro can look good wearing a suit on the bench
Ordep
7/3/12 12:29:16AM
Reports says that Josh Smith is happy with these new moves. He was requesting trade last season so hearing that is good news. Smith and Horrow are good friend with Howard who grew up in ATL. If the Hawks can pull that hypothetical move stated on the ESPN article sending Horford and Teague to the Magic for him and can extend him they could still have cap room for Paul, who just denied the Clippers extension.

Smith, Howard, Paul sounds pretty good, but I'm dreaming too much right now.

Poor_Franklin
7/3/12 1:42:27AM

Posted by Ordep

Reports says that Josh Smith is happy with these new moves. He was requesting trade last season so hearing that is good news. Smith and Horrow are good friend with Howard who grew up in ATL. If the Hawks can pull that hypothetical move stated on the ESPN article sending Horford and Teague to the Magic for him and can extend him they could still have cap room for Paul, who just denied the Clippers extension.

Smith, Howard, Paul sounds pretty good, but I'm dreaming too much right now.

just read the espn insider article talking about all this. freed up $90 million in cap space & howard was smith's best man & paul wonce discussed playing in atlanta.....could be awesome!!!!
ChrisSabal
7/3/12 4:05:28AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by ChrisSabal

Farmar is a pretty good backup PG and Morrow can be dangerous long range. I agree they aren't going to sell a ton of jerseys with these guys, but it does give them much needed depth. Willams can be a helpful 3rd string down low and Petro can look good wearing a suit on the bench

Well Farmar's contract is being bought out already.
Poor_Franklin
7/3/12 1:48:28PM
Raptors supposedly have deal for Knicks restricted FA guard Landry Fields
ChrisSabal
7/3/12 1:52:31PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

yeah worth 3 years for 20 mil and gave Nash 3 year 36 mil. I don't know what the Raptors are doing
Shawn91111
7/3/12 3:16:58PM

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by Poor_Franklin

yeah worth 3 years for 20 mil and gave Nash 3 year 36 mil. I don't know what the Raptors are doing

Pretty much blocking the Knicks from getting Nash. The Knicks needed Fields to do a sign and trade with the Suns for Nash. Now that Fields has that offer, the Knicks if they want Nash have to do a sign and trade for Nash and include Shumpert. Raptors really dont even need Fields.
prophecy033
7/3/12 3:31:03PM
Jason Terry seems to be closing in on a deal with Boston
ChrisSabal
7/3/12 3:32:57PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Pretty much blocking the Knicks from getting Nash. The Knicks needed Fields to do a sign and trade with the Suns for Nash. Now that Fields has that offer, the Knicks if they want Nash have to do a sign and trade for Nash and include Shumpert. Raptors really dont even need Fields.

now that you say that it makes sense because Raptors have no use for another SG after just drafting one.
BuffaloDave
7/3/12 4:10:44PM
The latest on Howard going to the Nets for Brook Lopez, Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks and the Nets' first-round draft picks in 2013, 2015 and 2017

Just way to much, better save the picks and wait a year until he is a FA. The team will be depleted, yeah they'll have a big 3 (4 with Wallace) but that's it, no bench whatsoever. I know it's to gear up for the 1st season in Brooklyn, the starters will have to play their asses off, next year some older vets might come in, depending how these moves pan out for the Nets.

Lin to visit Rockets on Weds.

Ray Ray to visit Heat and Clips.
Bubbles
7/3/12 5:09:30PM

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by Poor_Franklin

now that you say that it makes sense because Raptors have no use for another SG after just drafting one.

the Raptors never had a SG anyways. DeRozan is as inconsistent as they come and who knows how this rookie will fare in the NBA.

If by chance they sign Nash, Calderon becomes expendable and I'm sure there will be a bunch of teams interested in him.
ChrisSabal
7/3/12 5:18:06PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by Poor_Franklin

the Raptors never had a SG anyways. DeRozan is as inconsistent as they come and who knows how this rookie will fare in the NBA.

If by chance they sign Nash, Calderon becomes expendable and I'm sure there will be a bunch of teams interested in him.

yeah but at least DeRozan is a solid player. They shouldn't concentrate on getting a position they already have when they have a huge hole at SF.
ChrisSabal
7/3/12 7:38:08PM
Deron has signed with the Nets for 5 years close to 100 mil
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5