2012 UFC HW conundrum ...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » 2012 UFC HW conundrum ...
LightsOUT23
1/1/12 11:56:32AM
Hey Guys, Just a few questions on this topic, what with the sudden retirement announcement of Brock Lesnar after losing to the Reem at 141, what will Lesnar leaving the UFC do the the future fights based around the Championship?
My breakdown goes like this ...
With JDS being the champion and Reem's win putting him next in line to fight for the title.. Thats one UFC HW main event right there for a 2012 event.
The only other HW's that the UFC have right now outside of the number one and two guys lets say are the likes of Frank Mir and Cain Valesquez. These two fighting is the only real HW fight that makes sense for the next title shot. The likes of Carwin, Roy Nelson, Werdum, kongo a few to be named are not exactly HW title challengers. Carwin loses to Brock then gets dominated by JDS the champion. Roy Nelson loses two fights on the trot then beats Crocop who just retired. Werdum was over-hyped with his win over Fedor and then lost a decision to the Reem, so he's coming into the UFC on a loss. Kongo has put together some wins, but he has not beat anyone who is a threat to the UFC HW ladder. He cant be considered a Title contender with wins over Mitrione and Pat barry. Then you got up and coming HW's like Herman, Russow and T.Brown who are many fights away from being legit contenders.
It seems to me that after Brock throwing in the towel, regardless of who likes, loves or hates the guy, the UFC HW division is going to suffer in 2012 for challengers to the title holder.

Any thoughts ... ???
kingsmasher
1/1/12 12:00:44PM
All I will say is the UFC will miss Brock Ive never seen a crowd like when he fights ever at the local bars...People standing all over...

Brock told me exactly what I thgouht and questioned going in...He wasnt there to fight but get a check and try and build Rheem as the next attraction...

Hate to say I gotta pick Rheem over JDS based on kicks and knees...
Twenty20Dollars
1/1/12 1:00:56PM
They've got time to build up contenders as JDS vs Overeem prolly won't happen real soon. JDS has got to heal.

Plus the SF HW's are coming over, giving some depth.

You have JDS/Overeem fight and then Mir fights the winner or Mir fights someone else in a no.1 contender fight and they face the champ. That will prolly take up most of 2012.
Rabi
1/1/12 1:15:22PM
The Strikeforce HW's add great depth to the division, Daniel Cormier and Antonio Silva and hopefully Josh Barnett are all great additions, also Nelson looked much improved in his last fight with his conditioning so he could yet be a threat if he continues to take the sport seriously.
FastKnockout
1/1/12 4:03:27PM
In the next year or so, the heavyweight division will be back to how it was during the time Tim Sylvia was champion. It was looking good for a while with Lesnar and a sudden surge of talent, but now Lesnar is gone and most of the talent is now stacked at the top of the division, with no clear contenders in sight. The Strikeforce heavyweights could possibly add some depth with the likes of Daniel Cormier and Josh Barnett, but I don't see it happening. Barnett might earn a title shot with a single win, but I don't see Cormier making it.

Mir won't make it past Carwin.
Carwin won't make it past Valesquez/dos Santos.
Valesquez won't make it past dos Santos.

and I don't see anyone as of now that could beat dos Santos. Other then those four guys and one or two from Strikeforce, I don't see anyone near the top of the division unless you want to pad the record of guys like Travis Browne and Matt Mitrione.

Overeem = Wild card.
sbulldavid
1/1/12 4:41:57PM
I think 2012 will be a great year for the heavyweight division but disappointing in that, I think there will probably only be Overeem/JDS in a title fight in June/July, then Mir/Barnett/Cormier for title at end of the year show. I think we'll see more of the non-contenders than the top 5-6 guys but I think we will see a lot more fights with the added depth the division has.
Pookie
1/1/12 6:37:19PM
Strikeforce is coming in and will give lots of fighters fresh match-ups that will change the upper mid-section of the division.

JDS v. Reem next, and by the time the next title shot rolls around, there will be a new contender ready.
tmas
1/1/12 7:57:17PM
does it matter? no.

here is a fact. If someone is given a shot ANYTHING can happen. if they need a contender they will throw someone in there, and they will fight for the title and possibly win, and if they do then?.....

LightsOUT23
1/1/12 8:05:18PM

Posted by tmas

does it matter? no.

here is a fact. If someone is given a shot ANYTHING can happen. if they need a contender they will throw someone in there, and they will fight for the title and possibly win, and if they do then?.....

I think it does matter. Without doubt you are right, anything can happen when a fighter is given a shot at a title. But i dont want to see JDS vs Kongo or Overeem vs Noguiera or Carwin vs Frank mir 2. The HW division suffered big time in the days when big tim was the champ. If too much talent leaves the UFC, it will struggle again ...
Aether
1/1/12 8:12:46PM
I don't think brock leaving really changes anything in the HW picture given that he's been out of action for nearly a year and a half and just lost his fight. The only fight I really wanted to see Brock in at this point was a rubber match with Mir. JDS will face Overeem and like other people said there will be a bunch of Strikeforce Heavyweights coming over that will make the division interesting.
Pookie
1/1/12 8:56:06PM

Posted by LightsOUT23

Posted by tmas

does it matter? no.

I think it does matter. Without doubt you are right, anything can happen when a fighter is given a shot at a title. But i dont want to see JDS vs Kongo or Overeem vs Noguiera or Carwin vs Frank mir 2. The HW division suffered big time in the days when big tim was the champ. If too much talent leaves the UFC, it will struggle again ...

Well see that's the thing though. Kongo's going to lose to Hunt. And Hunt v. JDS would be awesome.
tmas
1/1/12 9:23:03PM

Posted by LightsOUT23

Posted by tmas

does it matter? no.

sorry if it came off mean, but the HW div has more contenders then it has in a long time. there is no clear cut #1 contender outside of overeem sure, but its not good when 1 guy runs through all the contenders, and then loses to the champ, you cant in that instance have anyone else fight for the title because the #2 guy beat them all and he cant beat the #1 guy. Gotta have a lot of confusion and drama that way there are contenders constantly and anyone can make an argument that they deserve the shot like at MW....and HW is now sorta.
LightsOUT23
1/2/12 1:40:28PM
I dunno guys, Hunt vs JDs is a fight i don't wanna see. Hunt is past his prime, Hunt was ko'd by a middleweight in japan. Mir has lost his chin after a long career in this sport, kongo is following suit. Ben rothwell is never gonna fight for the title, Carwin will clear up all these guys outside the top end of the division. And as for Cain Valesquez, he got done too easily by JDS, dunno what he does from here, Probably won;t wear the crown again now. HW division is heading for some tough times i think.
Poor_Franklin
1/3/12 4:05:29AM
im not getting my hopes up, but would love to see Barnett make it to the ufc *fingers crossed*
Patchedup15
1/3/12 4:07:10PM
I'll try to keep this short bc there is a lot of text on this page already.

But the UFC is adding a third new division in the past year or so, they will undoubtedly have no trouble keeping viewers attention (in fact i think the 35/45 classes deserve some more, those napoleons are crazy good)..
this one division is no doubt going to suffer already, but the glory of the "Heavyweight Championship Belt" will always draw attention. We can only hope that people get familiar with Sforce HW's and eventually it becomes a decent division again-- in time for Jon Jones to move up and take over until he turns 50
sbulldavid
1/4/12 11:52:57PM
By 2020 guys will be fighting in their 60's and an 86 year old Dan Severn will return to action.
BustedKnuckle
1/6/12 5:57:45PM

Posted by Rabi

The Strikeforce HW's add great depth to the division, Daniel Cormier and Antonio Silva and hopefully Josh Barnett are all great additions, also Nelson looked much improved in his last fight with his conditioning so he could yet be a threat if he continues to take the sport seriously.

This!! Also guys like Shane Del Rosario, Chad Griggs are also coming so the lower to mid tier of the division is shaping up nicley. I know it isn't a fix for the right now but soon enough the HW division will be stacked.