2011 UPSET OF THE YEAR!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » 2011 UPSET OF THE YEAR!!
POLL: Pick!
Hendricks-FItch 36% (12)
Brenneman-Story 0% (0)
Jones-Rua 0% (0)
Ortiz-Bader 61% (20)
Ellenberger-Shields 0% (0)
Others 3% (1)
dotaaddict
12/31/11 8:18:40PM
Continuation of the poll for unique awards this year!!

In the recent UFC 141 , we see a great upset Hendricks beating Fitch..

I also include the Jones-Rua fight as a candidate because if my memory is correct, many fans and experts do not Jones a chance in that fight.

Ortiz-Bader also...

Brenneman-Story.. Brenneman take the fight in a week notice and he dominates Story..

Ellenberger-Shields also
Twenty20Dollars
12/31/11 8:26:02PM
Ortiz over Bader, b/c Ortiz is old, injury prone, lost a bunch in a row, really a 1 dimensional fighter and then he pulls of a sub victory.

Ellenberger and Hendricks, you knew those guys had the power to finish their opponents.
jae_1833
12/31/11 8:28:51PM
I gave it to Ortiz because of his loss streak to strong competition. Hendricks is a close second but after seeing him fight Pierce I have hindsight and its more believable, I still struggle understanding Tito rocking Bader!
DrivenDavies15
12/31/11 8:32:56PM
I picked "other" because at the time it happened, Stann upsetting Leben made me go nuts! Leading up to that fight I didn't think Stann had much of a chance at all because Leben had looked to have improved greatly with the wins over Simpson and Akiyama and I couldn't see Stann winning. Biggest upset this year in my books for sure
DancingDoll
12/31/11 8:47:26PM
Ortiz gets it for sure, but I do think it was a bit of a fluke. If they were rematched, I'd still put my money on Bader.

Story is way overrated. That one didn't really surprise me at all.
Shawn91111
12/31/11 9:53:57PM
How is Jones over Shogun an upset if he was the heavy betting favorite?
Cooler
12/31/11 10:35:09PM
Hendricks over Fitch because of my hate for Fitch and nobody except pmoney gave Hendricks a shot... Ortiz vs Bader was a big surprise but Bader is still overrated in my book so its not as great of an upset as some think imo.
Geoffo
12/31/11 11:26:22PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Yeah I don't know what kinda crack this guy is on.
Cooler
12/31/11 11:40:36PM

Posted by Geoffo

Posted by Shawn91111

Yeah I don't know what kinda crack this guy is on.

If youre a Shogun fan it was an "upset" to watch

..I would know
Lesnar1
12/31/11 11:45:26PM
Hendricks 12 second KO over Fitch was definitely a big shcoker considering Fitch hadn't been finished in 9 years, But Ortiz subbing Bader takes the cake for me, considering he had such an awful streak coming into the fight, would most likely be finished with the ufc if he lost & Bader being considered one of the elite LHW's at the time of the fight, Tito was just a big underdog, it was an amazing victory & feather in his cap.

Just thought i'd mention Lauzon subbing Guillard in about a minute, Guillard was being considered for a title shot before he lost this bout, and alot of people thought Lauzon would get KTFO but he just comes in and dominates, that was a crazy fight & upset.
prophecy033
1/1/12 1:38:45AM

Posted by DancingDoll

Ortiz gets it for sure, but I do think it was a bit of a fluke. If they were rematched, I'd still put my money on Bader.

it didn't help that he was getting dismantled by Evans just 5 weeks later. Did leave much time to pump up his chest. But it was definetly the biggest upset in my eyes, I didn't give him a damn chance
Pookie
1/1/12 1:53:58AM

Posted by Cooler

If youre a Shogun fan it was an "upset" to watch

..I would know

Ha! I must say. No other fight has ever made me that upset. Angry maybe, but seeing shogun tap was like someone tore my heart out and pissed into my soul
DancingDoll
1/1/12 2:07:13AM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by DancingDoll

it didn't help that he was getting dismantled by Evans just 5 weeks later. Did leave much time to pump up his chest. But it was definetly the biggest upset in my eyes, I didn't give him a damn chance

LOL. Omg, I know... I kept thinking why is he taking another fight this quickly after an epic win like that? Tito should have ridden the wave a little longer and enjoyed the taste of victory to rebuild the Ortiz-hype. Even though people are more forgiving because he was a 'fill-in' on shorter notice, I still think it was the wrong move.
Rabi
1/1/12 3:43:22AM
My vote went to Hendricks over Fitch, that was an OMG moment.

There was quite a few surprises over the year, here is some that I remember that didn't make the poll!

Story over Alves
Jung over Hominick
Bendo over Miller
Pookie
1/1/12 3:50:12AM
Nice catch with Story v. Alves.

Of all the fights listed on here so far, That fight was the one where i didn't think the winner had a chance in hell.
Rabi
1/1/12 3:56:20AM
Even though it was a shock, I did pick Story to win, I just felt he could wrestle his way to a win!