2011 MMAPlayground.com Award for "Fight of the Year" goes to...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » 2011 MMAPlayground.com Award for "Fight of the Year" goes to...
emfleek
1/3/12 12:02:42PM
Dan Henderson vs. Mauricio Rua (UFC 139)

Dan Henderson vs. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (UFC 139) - 68.66%
Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard 2 (UFC 125) - 10.45%
Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard 3 (UFC 136) - 10.45%
Michael Chandler vs. Eddie Alvarez (Bellator 58) - 7.46%
Diego Sanchez vs. Martin Kampmann (UFC Live: Sanchez vs. Kampmann) - 2.99%
Twenty20Dollars
1/3/12 12:35:57PM
I don't think enough people saw Alvarez/Chandler.
emfleek
1/3/12 12:44:44PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Agreed. I thought the voting would be a lot closer than what it actually ended up being. I thought for sure Chandler/Alvarez would finish #2.
MuayThaiGeek13
1/3/12 12:56:25PM

Posted by emfleek

Agreed. I thought the voting would be a lot closer than what it actually ended up being. I thought for sure Chandler/Alvarez would finish #2.

I feel that a lot of us had Shogun/Hendo as a dream match up, and that's why it'll be regarded higher than possibly better fights just because it lived up to our expectations. Ala Liddell Wandy.
Budgellism
1/3/12 2:06:29PM

Posted by MuayThaiGeek13

Posted by emfleek

I feel that a lot of us had Shogun/Hendo as a dream match up, and that's why it'll be regarded higher than possibly better fights just because it lived up to our expectations. Ala Liddell Wandy.

This.

Alvarez vs. Chandler was awesome. Amazing back and forth action from start to finish. Shogun vs. Hendo is just something I've been waiting for since I knew who both guys were. And it lived up to be one of the best fights I've ever seen. I don't remember ever screaming at my tv as much as I did during this fight. Alvarez/Chandler would get my vote for 2nd place though. Alvarez is my favourite fighter and I always love watching him fight, win or lose but nothing beats the energy Shogun vs Hendo brought.
pmoney
1/4/12 4:24:12AM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by MuayThaiGeek13

Posted by emfleek

This.

Alvarez vs. Chandler was awesome. Amazing back and forth action from start to finish. Shogun vs. Hendo is just something I've been waiting for since I knew who both guys were. And it lived up to be one of the best fights I've ever seen. I don't remember ever screaming at my tv as much as I did during this fight. Alvarez/Chandler would get my vote for 2nd place though. Alvarez is my favourite fighter and I always love watching him fight, win or lose but nothing beats the energy Shogun vs Hendo brought.

This!

Alvarez-Chandler was a fantastic fight. As good or better than Edgar-Maynard 2 or Edgar-Maynard 3, in my opinion.

Viewership of Bellator is significantly smaller than UFC (or even Strikeforce) viewership, so it stands to reason less people saw it. Bellator put the fight on YouTube, but chances are not many casual fans are looking it up.

Another issue: Alvarez-Chandler went down on the same night as Hendo-Shogun. Personally, I watched UFC 139 live and watched Bellator after. I felt like I had an adrenaline dump after Hendo-Shogun, as that card was pure insanity.

As good as Alvarez-Chandler and that whole Bellator card was, it was cursed to happen the same night as Shogun-Hendo.