2009 World MMA Awards (Spoilers)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » 2009 World MMA Awards (Spoilers)
DCRage
12/31/09 9:20:50AM
It streamed live last night on versus.com, airs taped on Versus a few times starting January 6. Results:
Winners determined by international fan voting.
GYM OF THE YEAR
Candidates: American Top Team, Black House MMA, Xtreme Couture, Greg Jackson's Submission Fighting, Wolfslair
Winner: Greg Jackson's Submission Fighting

BEST MMA GLOVES MANUFACTURER
Candidates: Everlast MMA, Fairtex, Hayabusa, Triumph United, UFC
Winner: UFC

BEST OVERALL MMA CLOTHING MANUFACTURER
Candidates: Affliction, One More Round, Silverstar, TapouT, Toe2Toe
Winner: TapouT

BREAKTHROUGH FIGHTER OF THE YEAR
Candidates: Shane Carwin, Dan Hardy, Jon Jones, Brock Lesnar, Cain Velasquez
Winner: Brock Lesnar

COACH OF THE YEAR
Candidates: Mark Dellagrotte, Greg Jackson, Ricardo Liborio, Greg Nelson, Shawn Tompkins
Winner: Greg Jackson

BEST MMA BRAND
Candidates: Bad Boy, Hayabusa, Silverstar, TapouT, UFC

BEST MMA JOURNALIST
Candidates: John Morgan, MMAjunkie.com/Dallas Morning News; Gareth A. Davies, Telegraph.com; Joe Ferraro, MMA Connected; Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports; Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports/Wrestling Observer
Winner: John Morgan, MMAjunkie.com/Dallas Morning News (naturally, Junkie repeatedly shilled very hard for their man)

FEMALE FIGHTER OF THE YEAR
Candidates: Gina Carano, Megumi Fujii, Sarah Kaufman, Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos, Rosi Sexton
Winner: Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos

KO OF THE YEAR
Candidates: Rashad Evans vs. Chuck Liddell at UFC 88, Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping at UFC 100, Lyoto Machida vs. Rashad Evans at UFC 98, Nate Marquart vs. Demian Maia at UFC 102, Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin at UFC 101
Winner: Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping at UFC 100

LEADING MAN OF THE YEAR
Candidates: Dana White, UFC president; Lorenzo Fertitta, UFC CEO; Scott Coker, Strikeforce founder and CEO; Charles "Mask" Lewis, TapouT co-founder; Joe Silva, UFC VP of talent relations
Winner: Dana White, UFC president

BEST MMA SHORTS MANUFACTURER
Candidates: ADX, Hayabusa, Sprawl, Tapout, Warrior

SUBMISSION OF THE YEAR
Candidates: B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian at UFC 101, Terry Etim vs. Justin Buchholz at UFC 99, Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McCrory at UFC 91, Toby Imada vs. Jorge Masvidal at Bellator 5, Demian Maia vs. Chael Sonnen at UFC 95
Winner: Toby Imada vs. Jorge Masvidal at Bellator 5

BEST PROMOTION
Candidates: UFC, Strikeforce, DREAM, WEC, Bellator
Winner: UFC

BEST MEDIA SOURCE
Candidates: MMAjunkie.com, "Inside MMA" on HDNet, "MMA Connected" on Sportsnet, MMAWeekly.com, Sherdog.com
Winner: MMAjunkie.com (again Junkie shilled repeatedly and very hard for themselves)

RING GIRL OF THE YEAR
Candidates: Arianny Celeste, Edith LaBelle, Holly Madison, Natasha Wicks
Logan Stanton
Winner: Arianny Celeste

SPECIAL LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
Winner: Charles "Mask" Lewis

EUROPEAN FIGHTER OF THE YEAR
Candidates: Mike Bisping, Fedor Emelianenko, Terry Etim, Dan Hardy, Gegard Mousasi
Winner: Gegard Mousasi

FIGHT OF THE YEAR
Candidates: Mike Brown vs. Urijah Faber at WEC 41, Clay Guida vs. Diego Sanchez at The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale, Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva at UFC 99, Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir at UFC 100, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Randy Couture at UFC 102
Winner: Clay Guida vs. Diego Sanchez at The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale

FIGHTER OF THE YEAR
Candidates: Georges St-Pierre, Lyoto Machida, Anderson Silva, Mike Brown, Brock Lesnar
Winner: Georges St-Pierre

Most I can agree with, a few I don't, namely Lesnar as Breakthrough Fighter. I picked Carwin.
MiniMan
12/31/09 9:26:22AM
TBH, What did Carwin do other than KO a very inconsistant Gonzaga?

Lesnar shut the world up!
bojangalz
12/31/09 9:29:18AM

Posted by DCRage

FIGHT OF THE YEAR
Candidates: Mike Brown vs. Urijah Faber at WEC 41, Clay Guida vs. Diego Sanchez at The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale, Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva at UFC 99, Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir at UFC 100, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Randy Couture at UFC 102
Winner: Clay Guida vs. Diego Sanchez at The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale

Seriously?! Who the hell names this fight the winner, let along came up with the list of cantidates?!

The only fight on that list which actially deserves to be there is Brown Faber II and that's a stretch. Torres vs Mizugaki, Condit vs Kampmann, and Henderson vs Cerrone all belong on that list well before those other fights and that's just on Zuffa cards. That doesn't even count Tokoro vs Cullem or Melendez vs Thompson.

Weak sause.

*Edit* After about 10 seconds of pondering I realized how rediculous it was to get worked up about this. I doubt anyone expected this show to be anything but a Zuffa shilling anyway.
emfleek
12/31/09 9:39:34AM
Brock broke through in 2008, not 2009, in my opinion.

If I had to pick, I'd say one of the following:

Junior Dos Santos
Jon Jones
Alan Belcher

And that's just in the UFC.

Of course, it all depends on your definition of "break through"...
Jimbo
12/31/09 9:45:08AM

Posted by emfleek

Brock broke through in 2008, not 2009, in my opinion.

If I had to pick, I'd say one of the following:

Junior Dos Santos
Jon Jones
Alan Belcher

And that's just in the UFC.

Of course, it all depends on your definition of "break through"...

breakthrough fighter IMO = Mousasi, Jon Jones, or Zaranoksis.
grappler0000
12/31/09 10:43:19AM

You gotta watch the Diego Sanchez acceptance speech. I think he was sippin' a little Jesus Juice beforehand.

Linkage
bojangalz
12/31/09 11:01:13AM

Posted by grappler0000

You gotta watch the Diego Sanchez acceptance speech. I think he was sippin' a little Jesus Juice beforehand.

Linkage

Umm yea, and that Jesus juice was about 180 proof.
bojangalz
12/31/09 11:05:04AM
Hey wait... I think there's a type they must have misspelled Joes Aldo's name in the fighter of year list... cause I didn't see it in there. Should have won it too.
jae_1833
12/31/09 8:34:25PM
Sub should have gone to Damian over Chael IMO.
bojangalz
1/1/10 9:53:57AM

Posted by jae_1833

Sub should have gone to Damian over Chael IMO.

Zuffa sub of the year, absoluely. But Imada deserves that award on many levels. First off, Mazvidal was the odds on favorite to meet Eddie Alverez in the finals of that tourney and a BIG favorite over Imada that night. Imada took a very sustained ass beating for the better part of 12 minutes in that fight. That submission was flawless and game from so far up his ass that Jorge didn't even know he was in trouble until he was out cold on the canvas.

I can't tell you how many times I've played that clip when explaining to people the beauty of this sport.

Maia's technique and set up from the lateral drop to mount and rolling into the triangle was flawless as well. But he was a pretty decent favorite in that bout and no one really expected Sonnen to give him much trouble. Most years, I'd say this sub takes home the award, but there isn't ANYTHING this year that even sniff's what Toby Imada was able to do.
jae_1833
1/1/10 3:25:28PM
Good point, I just thought that it was over a decorated grappler instead of a guy not so known for his ground game.....plus I didn't see the fight!!
karn501
1/1/10 4:57:17PM

Posted by jae_1833

Good point, I just thought that it was over a decorated grappler instead of a guy not so known for his ground game.....plus I didn't see the fight!!

I just posted a highlight of that fight in the mma videos
ncordless
1/1/10 5:20:01PM

Posted by bojangalz

Hey wait... I think there's a type they must have misspelled Joes Aldo's name in the fighter of year list... cause I didn't see it in there. Should have won it too.

They must have come up with the nominees before WEC 44, because they have Brown in there but not Aldo.
DCRage
1/1/10 6:57:14PM
I think Fighters Only (they were behind this all) announced the nominations back in October or November, so I'm pretty sure it was before Brown-Aldo.