2009 ESPY Awards-Best Fighter (Spoilers)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » 2009 ESPY Awards-Best Fighter (Spoilers)
DCRage
7/16/09 8:23:27AM
Boxing beat MMA in the Best Fighter category-Manny Pacquiao won. Trying to remember who the other nominees were but I think MMA was represented by GSP and Machida along with one other boxer.
emfleek
7/16/09 8:34:41AM
No surprises there...
DCRage
7/16/09 8:54:47AM
I voted for Machida, I'm as big a Pacman fan as the next guy but had to show MMA some more love here.
emfleek
7/16/09 9:10:40AM
I voted for GSP but that was before Machida won the title.

I'm only a casual boxing fan. I don't see me EVER being a hardcore fan.
Twenty20Dollars
7/16/09 10:29:10AM
Wasnt it Anderson Silva and Machida? Or was it GSP?

Yep it was Andersan

Manny Pacquiao Boxing
Lyoto Machida MMA
Shane Mosley Boxing
Anderson Silva MMA
emfleek
7/16/09 10:47:24AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Wasnt it Anderson Silva and Machida? Or was it GSP?

Yep it was Andersan

Manny Pacquiao Boxing
Lyoto Machida MMA
Shane Mosley Boxing
Anderson Silva MMA

Then I voted for Anderson.
telnights
7/16/09 1:05:11PM
Yeah I never really understood why but it seams like most of your hardcore boxing fans dislike MMA but most of your hardcore MMA fans like boxing. Maybe boxing fans feel MMA is a threat to the sport.
seanfu
7/16/09 3:38:22PM
boxing fans aren't fight fans, they're not martial arts fans. That's why boxing is the only thing they watch.

It's simple, like checkers!

One guy punches the other guy, they must be fighting!
Everyone knows what a punch is. Not many people understand a kick, or bjj.
Boxing ftw by simplicity.

I used to as hardcore a boxing fan as there was. I said, I'll never watch UFC fighting on that D channel spike tv.

Then out of curiosity one day I turn on ufc unleashed Hughes vs Trigg, and it blew me away.

Wrestling credentials? striking technique? Real chokeouts?

That is the mind of a boxing fan, especially an aged one. These guys just go in there and streetfight!
StriderXero
7/16/09 8:03:24PM

Posted by seanfu

boxing fans aren't fight fans, they're not martial arts fans. That's why boxing is the only thing they watch.

I used to as hardcore a boxing fan as there was. I said, I'll never watch UFC fighting on that D channel spike tv.

Then out of curiosity one day I turn on ufc unleashed Hughes vs Trigg, and it blew me away.

That is the mind of a boxing fan, especially an aged one. These guys just go in there and streetfight!

Boxing fans aren't fight fans?? What are you talking about?? Larry Merchant is always talking about MMA. How great it is, that he goes to ever UFC event, giving praise to the technique these guys show in the cage or ring.
seanfu
7/18/09 1:45:56AM

Posted by StriderXero

Posted by seanfu

Boxing fans aren't fight fans?? What are you talking about?? Larry Merchant is always talking about MMA. How great it is, that he goes to ever UFC event, giving praise to the technique these guys show in the cage or ring.

I'm talkin in terms of boxing being a sport and not necessarily fighting.

I'm a fight fan, I like pretty much all fighting, whereas most boxing fans are sports fans, not fight fans. And one boxing analyst praising MMA doesn't exactly prove a point.