2008 UFC Submissions, Knockouts, and Fights of the Night

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » 2008 UFC Submissions, Knockouts, and Fights of the Night
AchillesHeel
1/9/09 10:47:28AM
I was reading something about Dustin Hazelett, and the article mentioned that he had two or three "Submission of the Night" bonuses, and that he wants to become the all-time leader in the awards. It got me wondering about which fighters have received a lot of bonuses for Submission of the Night, Knockout of the Night, and/or Fight of the Night, and whether they tend to be fighters who are generally popular. I have no idea who decides these things, or what criteria they use. Awarding these bonuses is probably a less-than-scientific process, like deciding fielding errors in baseball. It could be entirely subjective, or maybe the judges and broadcasters are polled after the event. We may never know. C'est la vie.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the compiled information anywhere, so I decided to do it myself. It was kind of a drag, though, so I only did the 2008 events. I used a bunch of different sources, via a couple of Google searches, and I'm not going to bother citing my sources (if someone wants to pay me for this, I'll go back and do it all proper-like ). If you see any errors, feel free to note them.

Names listed below for each event are the winners for Submission of the Night, Knockout of the Night, and Fight of the Night, respectively. I was unable to find information for bonuses awarded for UFC Fight Night 12. I suppose it's possible there weren't any.

UFC 80: B.J. Penn; Wilson Gouveia; Paul Taylor & Paul Kelly

UFC 81: Frank Mir; Chris Lytle; Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira & Tim Sylvia

UFC 82: Anderson Silva; Chris Leben; Anderson Silva & Dan Henderson

Fight Night 13: Nate Diaz; James Irvin; Kenny Florian & Joe Lauzon

UFC 83: Demian Maia; Jason MacDonald; Jonathan Goulet & Kuniyoshi Hironaka

UFC 84: Rousimar Palhares; Wanderlei Silva; Wilson Gouveia & Goran Relic

UFC 85: Kevin Burns; Thiago Alves; Thiago Tavares & Matt Wiman

The Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale Dustin Hazelett; Drew McFedries; Josh Burkman & Dustin Hazelett

UFC 86: Cole Miller; Melvin Guillard; Forrest Griffin & Quinton Jackson

Fight Night 14: C.B. Dolloway; Rory Markham; Frankie Edgar & Hermes Franca

UFC 87: Demian Maia; Rob Emerson; Georges St. Pierre & Jon Fitch

UFC 88: Jason MacDonald; Rashad Evans; Kurt Pellegrino & Thiago Tavares

Fight Night 15: Wilson Gouveia; Alessio Sakara; Nate Diaz & Josh Neer

UFC 89: Jim Miller; Luis Cane; Chris Lytle & Paul Taylor

UFC 90: Spencer Fisher; Junior Dos Santos; Tyson Griffin & Sean Sherk

UFC 91: Dustin Hazelett; Jeremy Stephens; Jorge Gurgel & Aaron Riley

UFC Fight for the Troops (Fight Night 16): Steve Cantwell; Josh Koscheck; Jim Miller & Matt Wiman

The Ultimate Fighter 8 Finale: Krzysztof Soszynski; Anthony Johnson; Junie Browning & Dave Kaplan

UFC 92: (none); Quinton Jackson; Rashad Evans & Forrest Griffin

Several names appear multiple times, across the various categories. Some, like Forrest Griffin and Rampage Jackson, aren't really a surprise. Based on these findings, however, Matt Wiman (2 Fights of the Night) and Wilson Gouviea (1 of each award) are terribly under-appreciated, at least by me. Thiago Tavares also had 2 Fights of the Night in 2008, as did Paul Taylor. Jim Miller, who only just signed with the UFC over the summer, had a Submission of the Night and a Fight of the Night in his two appearances. And I couldn't help noticing that Thiago Alves earned a KOTN bonus for a fight for which he missed weight.
Gweedo
1/12/09 5:59:31PM
great job i think UFC 90 takes the cake here tho
prozacnation1978
1/12/09 10:07:34PM
i think overall damien maia is up there so is a tyson griffin,
or marcus davis
slapshot
1/13/09 6:18:17AM
Nate Diaz always puts on a good show.