2008 NFL Draft

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » 2008 NFL Draft
Next Page »
pv3Hpv3p
2/7/08 3:24:12PM
Hey Fellas, hows it goin?
I know it's a little early, but every year my best buddy and I sit around for a weekend, drinking beer and grilling stuff while watching all day coverage of the NFL draft... And this year will be no exception...

So anyways, I don't expect anyone else to be a draft junkie like me, but I would sure appreciate some imput from fans from around the country that have a better idea of exactly what a team needs and might get a little bit of an inside scoop from the gossip and newspapers around your area as to who might get chosen come draft time...

Anyhow, this is my first attempt at a mock draft this year, so don't be too hard on me... I have decent reason for picking who I picked and would be more than happy to share them or be convinced othewise, I feel a little silly that I have linemen going in the top 3 spots, but the beauty of the draft is the whole team needs vs availible talent... And I think teams are leaning more towards stopgapping up holes than just drafting for talent... just my hypothesis for now...

Any help advice or comments would help a bunch, but here's my top ten:

1. MIAMI - DT, USC, Sedrick Ellis
2. ST. LOUIS - DT, LSU, Glenn Dorsey
3. ATLANTA - OT, Michigan, Jake Long
4. OAKLAND - RB, Arkansas, Darren McFadden
5. KANSAS CITY, OT, Boise St., Ryan Clandy
6. JETS - DE, Virginia, Chris Long
7. NEW ENGLAND - CB, South Florida, Mike Jenkins
8. BALTIMORE - QB, Boston College, Matt Ryan
9. CINCI - LB, USC, Keith Rivers
10. NEW ORLEANS - DE, OSU, Vernon Gholston

These players seemed to match the immediate needs of the teams, or at least some of the needs leaving better players to choose from in the later rounds in other positions.... If you're interested, here's the rest of my list for the first round:

BUFFALO - CB, Kansas, Aqib Talib
DENVER - S, Miami, Kenny Phillips
CAROLINA - DE, Miami, Calais Campbell
CHICAGO - QB, Louisville, Brian Brohm
DETROIT - RB, Illinois, Rashard Mendenhall
ARIZONA - WR, Cal, DeSean Jackson
MINNESOTA - DE, Florida, Derrick Harvey
HOUSTON - RB, Oregon, Jonathan Stewart
PHILADELPHIA - WR, Oklahoma, Malcolm Kelly
TAMPA BAY - WR, Michigan, Mario Manningham
WASHINGTON - DT, North CarolinaKentwan Balmer
DALLAS - CB, Troy, Leodis McKelvin
PITTSBURGH - OT, Pittsburgh, Jeff Otah
TENNESSEE - WR, Texas, Limas Sweed
SEATLE - RB, Arkansas, Felix Jones
JACKSONVILLE - OT, USC, Sam Baker
SAN DIEGO - DE, Auburn, Quentin Groves
DALLAS - RB, West Virginia, Steve Slaton
SAN FRAN - DT, Auburn, Pat Sims
GREEN BAY - CB, Tennessee St. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
GIANTS - LB, PSU, Dan Connor

Sorry about making it a long read but I get excited about this shit, and like I said any info or comments would be greatly appreciated...
cowcatcher
2/7/08 3:41:53PM
miami needs help all over and i could see them taking ryan or line help on either side of the ball. if mcfadden slips to 4 al davis will take him even though RB isnt their biggest hole because he has a flare for the dramatic.
the early scoop in green bay is that felix jones(the other arkansas RB) could be taken if hes there(i dont know why now that grant has emerged), but ted thompson likes to trade down and pile up draft picks so anything could happen is the general consensus. the areas they need the most help at are safety(collins is steady but gets beat and isnt spectacular, and bigby is fun to watch but cant cover and drew the most penalties in the secondary in 16 years in GB), OL(the tackles will both be over 30 at draft time, and the guards are far from cemented as starters), and TE(lee looks for real but bubba is probably gone and theres nothing after him). the pack will also take at least 1 CB in the draft because harris and woodson arent getting any younger and the guys behind them havent lived up to their athletic potential.
pv3Hpv3p
2/7/08 3:55:29PM

Posted by cowcatcher

miami needs help all over and i could see them taking ryan or line help on either side of the ball. if mcfadden slips to 4 al davis will take him even though RB isnt their biggest hole because he has a flare for the dramatic.
the early scoop in green bay is that felix jones(the other arkansas RB) could be taken if hes there(i dont know why now that grant has emerged), but ted thompson likes to trade down and pile up draft picks so anything could happen is the general consensus. the areas they need the most help at are safety(collins is steady but gets beat and isnt spectacular, and bigby is fun to watch but cant cover and drew the most penalties in the secondary in 16 years in GB), OL(the tackles will both be over 30 at draft time, and the guards are far from cemented as starters), and TE(lee looks for real but bubba is probably gone and theres nothing after him). the pack will also take at least 1 CB in the draft because harris and woodson arent getting any younger and the guys behind them havent lived up to their athletic potential.

Originally I thought Glenn Dorsey was a lock to go to Miami, but since they'll be running a 3-4, I think the moer powerful Ellis would be a better match for their system or even the DE from Virginia Jake long...

I don't see Miami or St. Louis taking McFadden, and don't see RB as the most important cog missing in Atlantas team... I wouldn't be surprised if they took Ryan though, the team is in desperate need of an identity after last year's debocle, and Ryan might be their QB of the future...

As for GB, they're in a tough spot for getting a decent RB (at least a first rounder) just because I see a lot of teams with need in that position ahead of them... Houston and Seatle being on top of that list, and from what I hear the Cowboys won't resign Jones so they'll need a compliment to Barber, don't know if they'll address it in the first round, but it wouldn't be too surprising since they have two picks...

There's a really good TE coming out of USC that some experts have going in the first and is a virtual lock to be gone by the end of the second, especially with teams like the Packers, Vikings, Eagles, or Seatle in dire need...

it's fun to bat around ideas and thanks for the input Cowcatcher
cowcatcher
2/7/08 3:58:25PM
i love the draft man, last year the packers shocked me and pissed a lot of people around here off by taking harrell over greg olsen and even brady quinn, but they knew corey williams would be gone after this year so they got depth on the d-line, and passed on the need at TE or the pairing up of the brothers in law with hawk and quinn.
icarus4321
2/7/08 4:01:43PM
I love the draft and can't wait for it to come around again. Derrick Harvey's a reasonable pick for the Vikings, but I would expect them to go DB over DE in the first round. There's been a lot of talk over Reggie Smith at the 17 spot By Vikings fans. We have a lot of young depth at DE (Udeze, James, Robison, Edwards) that could step up, but our Safeties are getting old and we have suspect coverage as it is. It's really a guessing game at this point, but your pick is pretty decent considering team needs.

I also am not convinced that Ellis will go ahead of Dorsey. He had a great Senior Bowl, but I still think Dorsey is the better player and will go at 1.
icarus4321
2/7/08 4:03:51PM
Have you checked out footballsfuture.com? It sounds like you might enjoy the site. It has a pretty active message board and a lot of mock drafts.
cowcatcher
2/7/08 4:16:44PM
great college d-linemen do bust when picked high, but id imagine any team that passes on dorsey is going to regret it down the line, he looks like the real deal. then again so did russell maryland
roadking95th
2/7/08 4:21:32PM
I haven't been following the draft possiblities for the NFL too much yet, but I have been for Miami.

They will not select Dorsey. Too much money for a guy who doesn't fit the 3-4, actually too much money for someone who would fill that spot.

If for some reason they want to fill that spot, I think they would take Ellis or Chris Long. I believe they would lean towards Long fighting the scheme better.

I also don't believe they would take Ryan,, even if they felt the need to address QB this year.

That leaves us with Jake Long OT. He would fill a big need and OL tend to pan out better based on their ratings. This is who I think they'll take if they have to keep the pick.

Hopefully they trade out because the pick costs too much and they need A LOT of help.
pv3Hpv3p
2/7/08 4:21:41PM

Posted by icarus4321

I love the draft and can't wait for it to come around again. Derrick Harvey's a reasonable pick for the Vikings, but I would expect them to go DB over DE in the first round. There's been a lot of talk over Reggie Smith at the 17 spot By Vikings fans. We have a lot of young depth at DE (Udeze, James, Robison, Edwards) that could step up, but our Safeties are getting old and we have suspect coverage as it is. It's really a guessing game at this point, but your pick is pretty decent considering team needs.

I also am not convinced that Ellis will go ahead of Dorsey. He had a great Senior Bowl, but I still think Dorsey is the better player and will go at 1.

Ahhhh a fellow Vikings fan... I am a transplanted Steelers fan, but still got love for the purple n gold... It was hard for me to go with an end for them becaue James and Udeze seemed like busts to me and they don't have much luck in pickin the D-end spot... I like Reggie and I think they would scoop up Kenny Phillips (FS, Miami) if he were around, but I don't htink that'll be the case... Ther'll still be some great corners out there too, which could be an option, but I see them going D all the way...

I've seen some mocks where they have the Vike's taking DeSean Jackson (WR Cal), but that's a risky pick and we got two recievers last year... I've also seen them taking Fred Davis (TE, USC) in the first which would be a great upgrade from Shiancoe (sp?) he stinks, IMO... But I see a lot of teams hoping that he falls to the 2nd...

All in all it should be a good draft year... I get least excited about picking secondary in the first round, but you're right... That pass d is atrocious, and should be the first thing the Vike's tend to...

SIDENOTE: I've seen a few places that the Vikes draft either John David Booty in the 3rd or try and move up for Andre' Woodson in the second... Both are good QB's and would be an almost immediate upgrade from T-Jack IMO (if you can't tell, I'm not a Tarvaris fan)
pv3Hpv3p
2/7/08 4:27:38PM

Posted by roadking95th

I haven't been following the draft possiblities for the NFL too much yet, but I have been for Miami.

They will not select Dorsey. Too much money for a guy who doesn't fit the 3-4, actually too much money for someone who would fill that spot.

If for some reason they want to fill that spot, I think they would take Ellis or Chris Long. I believe they would lean towards Long fighting the scheme better.

I also don't believe they would take Ryan,, even if they felt the need to address QB this year.

That leaves us with Jake Long OT. He would fill a big need and OL tend to pan out better based on their ratings. This is who I think they'll take if they have to keep the pick.

Hopefully they trade out because the pick costs too much and they need A LOT of help.

I could definitely see them taking either Long.... It's really dependant on if they think they have a better pool of DE's or OLmen, IMO... I've gotten into checking out DE's in pretty good detail, but haven't really looked at OLmen too much, so your guess is probably better than mine...

I agree with the call on Dorsey here, especially with the Tuna in the front office, the player's going to have to fit the scheme, not matter how talented he is...

i don't see them taking Ryan, because I think they have faith in giving Beck at least another year or so to adjust... then again, I thought of about a hundered different picks last year and then they ended up taking Ginn... not a bad player, but I think they could have gotten more bang for their buck...
iwannabesedated
2/7/08 4:56:24PM
Im curios to see what the Steelers go with in the first round.They could use help everywhere but TE QB and LB.I think the OLine needs a big upgrade seeing how Faneca probably will not be back and the steelers arent known for really franchise tagging too many guys especially a guy like Faneca who for that 1 yr they would have to pay top notch salary.Also how considering Ben was sacked what like almost 50 or more times this past season the OL needs some major help.Id like to see them get a big CB to go along with Taylor,Townsend isn;t too bad but hes getting old and doesnt have the size to go man to man with Taller receivers.DLine isnt too bad Aaron Smith is underrated that guy is a beast too bad he got hurt last season we really missed him in the run stoping game Kirschke didnt do bad i think he is UFA this year tho.LB wise Haggans is also gone but they still have Foote Harrison and Farrior along with Timmons who did show some signs last season with not alot of playing time.Anyways the Steelers always do good with rebuilding through the draft so im sure this year it wont be much different.I mean hell look at Harrison and Parker two undrafted guys that were pro bowlers this year..well Parker got hurt and wont be playing but he still made it 2 years in a row..so who even needs a draft.hahah
JWils
2/7/08 5:14:22PM
It's good to know there are more draft junkies out there

I'm a Rams follower, and the word around here is that the Rams will probably take either Chris Long or Jake Long. They really need offensive line help and a solid D-end. I loved watching Grant Wistrom play when he was here so I am hoping they take Chris Long. He seems to be out of the same mold as Wis'.

I've read rumors to Chris Long would really fit well in Miami's 3-4 scheme. So, he might go # 1.

Personally, I don't think that Ellis will be picked ahead of Dorsey.

cowcatcher
2/7/08 5:18:37PM
after the combine im sure we will see a lot of darkhorse type guys moving up everyones boards and a few guys drop out of top 10 range. there are always DBs and WRs that take a dump when running the 40 and drop because of it, and guys that are blazers that move up. im not sure that the fish would take dorsey because aside form the fact that he doesnt fit their system, he hasnt really been mentioned as going there at all since tuna took over. if tuna is as smart as i think he is, he knows he has to start at the line on both sides of the ball to rebuild the team.
icarus4321
2/7/08 5:19:35PM
I have seen some mocks picking Jackson in the first for the Vikings, but I don't really think Childress would go WR in Rd 1. If they do, I would expect it to be Malcolm Kelly, but I think they'll wait until Rd 2 or 3, as they should be able to get good value this year.

I'm waiting to see how Kenny Phillips performs at the combine. He's really suffered from lack of production this year, and a lot of scouts have dropped him down the list. I think there's a good chance that he might be available at 17, depending on his workouts, and if Smith keeps rising, Phillips may move down the board a little bit. Crazy to think, as Phillips was hands down a top ten guy going into the season. He's one of those guys that you have no idea what to expect from in the draft.

Fred Davis would be a nice addition to the team, but he is more of a luxury pick which we can't afford. TE is not the kind of need that supercedes the DE/DB issue that we're faced with.

I would not mind picking up a mid-level quarterback with one of our two 3rd rounders. Booty could be interesting, and I would even think about waiting and taking a look at Dixon a little later on. His stock has plummeted due to the injury, but he could be a steal.

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Ahhhh a fellow Vikings fan... I am a transplanted Steelers fan, but still got love for the purple n gold... It was hard for me to go with an end for them becaue James and Udeze seemed like busts to me and they don't have much luck in pickin the D-end spot... I like Reggie and I think they would scoop up Kenny Phillips (FS, Miami) if he were around, but I don't htink that'll be the case... Ther'll still be some great corners out there too, which could be an option, but I see them going D all the way...

I've seen some mocks where they have the Vike's taking DeSean Jackson (WR Cal), but that's a risky pick and we got two recievers last year... I've also seen them taking Fred Davis (TE, USC) in the first which would be a great upgrade from Shiancoe (sp?) he stinks, IMO... But I see a lot of teams hoping that he falls to the 2nd...

All in all it should be a good draft year... I get least excited about picking secondary in the first round, but you're right... That pass d is atrocious, and should be the first thing the Vike's tend to...

SIDENOTE: I've seen a few places that the Vikes draft either John David Booty in the 3rd or try and move up for Andre' Woodson in the second... Both are good QB's and would be an almost immediate upgrade from T-Jack IMO (if you can't tell, I'm not a Tarvaris fan)

pv3Hpv3p
2/7/08 5:34:56PM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Im curios to see what the Steelers go with in the first round.They could use help everywhere but TE QB and LB.I think the OLine needs a big upgrade seeing how Faneca probably will not be back and the steelers arent known for really franchise tagging too many guys especially a guy like Faneca who for that 1 yr they would have to pay top notch salary.Also how considering Ben was sacked what like almost 50 or more times this past season the OL needs some major help.Id like to see them get a big CB to go along with Taylor,Townsend isn;t too bad but hes getting old and doesnt have the size to go man to man with Taller receivers.DLine isnt too bad Aaron Smith is underrated that guy is a beast too bad he got hurt last season we really missed him in the run stoping game Kirschke didnt do bad i think he is UFA this year tho.LB wise Haggans is also gone but they still have Foote Harrison and Farrior along with Timmons who did show some signs last season with not alot of playing time.Anyways the Steelers always do good with rebuilding through the draft so im sure this year it wont be much different.I mean hell look at Harrison and Parker two undrafted guys that were pro bowlers this year..well Parker got hurt and wont be playing but he still made it 2 years in a row..so who even needs a draft.hahah

Our Stillers have got to go O-line... Not only Faneca, but also Max Starks could be on the out and that could really hurt us... I've heard rumblings that they like Jeff Otah, but I could see them drafting Baker or Especially Clandy if he drops...

As far as D goes, IMO, there will be a good 2nd rd end for them to grab, and another safety to give Smith some competition couldn't hurt... I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them go O-line back to back though
pv3Hpv3p
2/7/08 5:41:49PM

Posted by JWils

I'm a Rams follower, and the word around here is that the Rams will probably take either Chris Long or Jake Long. They really need offensive line help and a solid D-end. I loved watching Grant Wistrom play when he was here so I am hoping they take Chris Long. He seems to be out of the same mold as Wis'.

I've read rumors to Chris Long would really fit well in Miami's 3-4 scheme. So, he might go # 1.

Now that I'm thinking about it more, Dorsey might not be the best pick for the Rams since you grabbed Carriker in the first last year (I think?) and he should end up being a beast.... I am starting to lean more toward taking the reamining Long after Miami choses, that seems to make much more sense now that I'm thinking out loud...

When it comes down to Ellis and Dorsey, it's a tough call... It's going to have a lot to do with the combine like Cowcatcher said, but also the fit for whichever team picks... Dorsey while getting all the accolades as of late, is a natural weakside 4-3 tackle and lacks the experience and from what I understand the raw power to play nose in a 3-4, which I guess that Ellis is a good fit for... I could be way off though, as Dorsey going over Ellis makes more than perfect sense to me, but that's half the fun of draft day right?
SpiderSilva
2/7/08 5:42:51PM
no way Raiders pass on Long or even St. Luis
pv3Hpv3p
2/7/08 5:49:12PM

Posted by icarus4321

I have seen some mocks picking Jackson in the first for the Vikings, but I don't really think Childress would go WR in Rd 1. If they do, I would expect it to be Malcolm Kelly, but I think they'll wait until Rd 2 or 3, as they should be able to get good value this year.

I'm waiting to see how Kenny Phillips performs at the combine. He's really suffered from lack of production this year, and a lot of scouts have dropped him down the list. I think there's a good chance that he might be available at 17, depending on his workouts, and if Smith keeps rising, Phillips may move down the board a little bit. Crazy to think, as Phillips was hands down a top ten guy going into the season. He's one of those guys that you have no idea what to expect from in the draft.

Fred Davis would be a nice addition to the team, but he is more of a luxury pick which we can't afford. TE is not the kind of need that supercedes the DE/DB issue that we're faced with.

I would not mind picking up a mid-level quarterback with one of our two 3rd rounders. Booty could be interesting, and I would even think about waiting and taking a look at Dixon a little later on. His stock has plummeted due to the injury, but he could be a steal.

DeSean is a gamble in the first, but the guy has a great upside, and there is something seriously disturbing about having Bobby Wade as our top reciever... No offense to Bobby but he's a slot guy and that just seems wrong to me... Hopefully Rice pans out, which I think he will, but the jury's still out on Alison...

You're right about Davis being a luxury pick, but my thinking was more toward the benefit of having a sure handed TE for short pass situations which chilly seems to love to run... If he drops to the second and is around at 17, I think they should seriously consider him...

As for a late 1st day QB... I would love to see Dixon, Woodson, or maybe even Brennen come up to the great white north... Sometheing to make T-Jac work for his job a little...
JWils
2/7/08 5:51:38PM
I've noticed a few Vikings fan on here

Hope your front office can get their pick in on time this year....

that situation a few years ago when they missed the time deadline was hilarious. I would have been furious if I was a Vikings fan
JWils
2/7/08 5:55:45PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by JWils

Now that I'm thinking about it more, Dorsey might not be the best pick for the Rams since you grabbed Carriker in the first last year (I think?) and he should end up being a beast.... I am starting to lean more toward taking the reamining Long after Miami choses, that seems to make much more sense now that I'm thinking out loud...

When it comes down to Ellis and Dorsey, it's a tough call... It's going to have a lot to do with the combine like Cowcatcher said, but also the fit for whichever team picks... Dorsey while getting all the accolades as of late, is a natural weakside 4-3 tackle and lacks the experience and from what I understand the raw power to play nose in a 3-4, which I guess that Ellis is a good fit for... I could be way off though, as Dorsey going over Ellis makes more than perfect sense to me, but that's half the fun of draft day right?

I agree that Dorsey really doesn't fit at the #2 pick for the Rams. They love Carriker inside. I also agree that the Rams will take the unpicked Long at #2 if the 'Fins decide to with either Chris or Jake.

hippysmacker
2/8/08 2:49:20AM
Ah fellow draftniks. I knew there was a reason I loved this site.

I won't give you a mock draft, and a lot changes after the combine and personal workouts. I think Miami is trying to trade out of the # 1 pick, but if they keep it they'll take Matt Ryan. I beleive Dorsey and Elllkis are both too small to play the NT in Parcels scheme. If he ran one more like Phillips where penetrating and gap control are important, they would fit IMO. You need a 330 lb. plus DT who's main job is clogging the double team in the middle to play it the Parcells way. Ellis and Dorseys greatest skill is their ability to penetrate , and I think they will fit 4-3 teams better.

here is my top 31 players so far, as they are only 31 1rst rounders this year.

1. Darren McFadden _ RB
2. Chris Long- DE
3. Sedrick Ellis- DT
4. Jake Long- OT
5. Glenn Dorsey- DT
6. Vernon Gholston- DE
7. Ryan Clady- OT
8. Leodis Mckelvin- CB
9. Kenny Phillips- FS
10. Brian Brohm - QB
11, Desean Jackson- WR
12. Keith Rivers- LB
13. Derrick Harvey- DE
14. Mike Jenkins- CB
15. Jhonathan Stewart- RB
16. Malcom Kelly- WR
17. Dan Connor- LB
18 Chris Williams- OT
19. Rashard Mendenhall- RB
20. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie- CB
21. Calais Campbell- DE
22. Aqib Talib- CB
23. Limas Sweed- WR
24. Felix Jones-RB
25. Fred Davis- TE
26. Kentwan Balmer- DT
27. Antoine Cason- CB
28. Jeff Otah- OT
29. James Hardy- WR
30. Jamaal Charles RB
31. Phillip Merlin - DE
cowcatcher
2/8/08 10:35:00AM
wow high ranking for brohm, the guy looks the part, but who knows with QBs that arent named peyton. im surprised you had him and not ryan, the prototypical QB on there at all. i could definately see the pack taking otah, and ive seen a mock draft on rivals that showed him going there, but i know some teams picking above the pack seem to like the guy a lot so he might not be there. so who do your cowboys grab?
pv3Hpv3p
2/8/08 11:05:12AM

Posted by cowcatcher

wow high ranking for brohm, the guy looks the part, but who knows with QBs that arent named peyton. im surprised you had him and not ryan, the prototypical QB on there at all. i could definately see the pack taking otah, and ive seen a mock draft on rivals that showed him going there, but i know some teams picking above the pack seem to like the guy a lot so he might not be there. so who do your cowboys grab?

I can almost guarantee that if Otah's there the Stillers will grab him... unless someone like Clandy drops which I don't see happening...

I don't get the Brohm over Ryan call either, but I see both going first round, Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, and MN come immediately to mind...

So what's the deal with Dallas, Hippysmacker? They going WR with their early pick or CB or what? What else ya'all need?
cowcatcher
2/8/08 11:09:22AM
CB would seem logical if theres someone there, but WR is going to get addressed too sometime on the first day. i could see them going RB at some point too, and theyre going to have to replace roy williams sooner than later, but this may not be the year to go after that. there are definately some teams that need QB help and i think you covered the ones with the biggest needs, the pack might take one later on as well, just as insurance with the thought of grabbing a sleeper.
pv3Hpv3p
2/8/08 11:17:49AM

Posted by cowcatcher

CB would seem logical if theres someone there, but WR is going to get addressed too sometime on the first day. i could see them going RB at some point too, and theyre going to have to replace roy williams sooner than later, but this may not be the year to go after that. there are definately some teams that need QB help and i think you covered the ones with the biggest needs, the pack might take one later on as well, just as insurance with the thought of grabbing a sleeper.

I've been reading a little about this kid from Delaware, Joe Flacco... He's a transfer from Pitt and had some sort of problem with eligability or something, but he's a big dude (6'6" 230lbs) that I've heard has good mechanic, etc...

This would be my sleeper pick at QB for this draft... I'm hoping the Vikes scoop him, the guy seems to remind me of Derek Anderson or someone of that ilk, with a lot of raw talent, just might need a few years to hone all his skills...

It's actually a seemingly good draft for QB's... With Brohm and Ryan probably going in the first (and probably the only two to go in the first, IMO) you still got Henne, Booty, Woodson, Brennan, & Ainge out there... I think with the sad state of affairs with QB's in the NFL last season this class will really help in starting to rejuvinate the position
cowcatcher
2/8/08 11:26:51AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

It's actually a seemingly good draft for QB's... With Brohm and Ryan probably going in the first (and probably the only two to go in the first, IMO) you still got Henne, Booty, Woodson, Brennan, & Ainge out there... I think with the sad state of affairs with QB's in the NFL last season this class will really help in starting to rejuvinate the position

when guys like cleo lemon, joey harrington, tavaris jackson, etc, etc are starters in the nfl, it tells me that youre right, there is a sad state of affairs in the nfl at QB. jackson seems to have some potential, but if he cant become a pocket passer at least to a point, he has little to no future as a starter in the nfl. its a passing QBs league and only a handful of guys can succeed as hybrids(vick, cunningham) and i dont see him being in their league.
pv3Hpv3p
2/8/08 11:43:44AM

Posted by cowcatcher

when guys like cleo lemon, joey harrington, tavaris jackson, etc, etc are starters in the nfl, it tells me that youre right, there is a sad state of affairs in the nfl at QB. jackson seems to have some potential, but if he cant become a pocket passer at least to a point, he has little to no future as a starter in the nfl. its a passing QBs league and only a handful of guys can succeed as hybrids(vick, cunningham) and i dont see him being in their league.

All the media in MN jumped on the bandwagon when he strung together a few good games later in the season, but i was never convinced with Jackson... I don't think he has the intangibles and the decision making to become an elite NFL QB...

The problem is that Childress traded up to draft this kid well before Jackson was projected, and he seems like a guy who won't own up to his own mistakes... He's just going to make us ride out this horrible decision of his for at least another year (and then I'm really hoping he gets axed)...

Hell, maybe the Vikes can just throw the entire 08 season, try and get the top pick and draft Tebow...

You know there's a complete dirth in the quarterback postion when Chris Redmond is starting and Testaverde gets resigned... But hey, I'll give him some credit... the guy won a heisman, in 1980freakin6 for cryin out loud!
JWils
2/8/08 12:48:14PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by cowcatcher

I've been reading a little about this kid from Delaware, Joe Flacco... He's a transfer from Pitt and had some sort of problem with eligability or something, but he's a big dude (6'6" 230lbs) that I've heard has good mechanic, etc...

This would be my sleeper pick at QB for this draft... I'm hoping the Vikes scoop him, the guy seems to remind me of Derek Anderson or someone of that ilk, with a lot of raw talent, just might need a few years to hone all his skills...

I've seen Flacco play in person. I graduated from Southern Illinois University. Delaware played SIU in the 1-AA playoffs this year and I was at the game.

I agree with you that Flacco has a chance to be a really good pro. He definitely has the arm. If he can adjust to the speed difference in the NFL and his decision making is sound, he'll be a starter in the league, no doubt about it.

But, coming from 1-AA, the competition level was low so it might take him 2-3 years to adjust and not have "the deer in headlights" look.
hippysmacker
2/8/08 2:25:20PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Your not wrong. Its my bad. When I was transferring off my written list of top 100, I just didn't type him over. Ryan was # 6 to me. Thats what I get for typing on vicodin in the middle of the night. I think Dallas takes 1 of 6 players depending on who drops to # 22. It will be a corner or receiver with their 1rst pick( D. jackson, M,Kelly, L. Sweed - -L. Mckelvin, A. Rodgers Cromartie, A. cason ) . I think unless one of these 6 guys , or Felix Jones/ Jamall Charles is their at #29 they trade down. At first I was hoping Dallas would trade up and take McFadden, but unless they can get him 5th or lower it will screw up our teams cap. Not only would we have to pay him a bundle, but Barber is a restricted free agent, and is looking for a new deal. We can't pay any college RB, no matter how special more than a proven NFL stud like Barber. So we would effectively be doling out 2 big deals for 1 position. I'm hoping Charles, Jones, or another good back is their in the 2nd and we trade down for him and a WR. With Sweeds injury its quite possible he wont go in the first 50 picks, and I would hope Dallas could snag him at the bottom of the 2nd. Anyway I rank, CB, WR, and RB our biggest needs in order. . ANyway, a buddy and myself are both draftniks, but he is on a year long mission trip to Peru. We play this game where we predict the draft in 3 phases, let me know if you guys want to compete at it.

Phase one- top 40. 5 points for every player who goes in the first round, as a whole of changes post combine, and the draft order coin flips aren't even done yet.

Phase 2- Top 64- 5 points for every first round pick, and 3 available if you get a 33- 64

Phase 3 - Due by midnight before the draft. All personal workouts are done, and we sift through all the info to make final selections Top 100- 10point max for any player if picked in the right draft slot ,with a minus 1 point for every slot you are off . Extra 5 points if he picked by right team in right draft slot, with 5 points if the player goes to the right team in any slot . Extra 5 points if you predict a trade and he goes to that team, even if you don't get the slot right. . So ultimate max, and its rare for one player to get it for you, is 25 points for 1 draft slot. Usually if you get 8 or more per slot your killing, and the 5 for the team is usually crucial. Even though they have been rare lately , one trade at the top of the draft can throw the whole thing off.

examples-

If I predicted Matt Ryan would go # 1 to Miami, and he instead went # 4 to Atlanta I would get 7 points.

If i predicted that Sedrick Ellis were going to go to Cincinnati at #5 , but instead they didn't have to trade up to # 5 with Oakland to get him ,and he went to Cincy in their normal # 9 slot I would get 11 points

If I predicted Atlanta trading up to # 1 and taking McFadden and they did I would get 25 points.

Anyway, anybody interested, if you are you might not want to post any more list for now, unless they are disinformation.
hippysmacker
2/9/08 1:32:03AM

Posted by cowcatcher

great college d-linemen do bust when picked high, but id imagine any team that passes on dorsey is going to regret it down the line, he looks like the real deal. then again so did russell maryland

hey ! heard that ! Your just pissed becuase the pack signed him when he was waaaaay past his prime. Maryland may have never lived up to the hype of a # 1 pick, but he was still a very good player IMO. He is a lot like Anthony " booger" McFarland of the Bucs and now Colts. He had a quick 1rst step off the ball, can penetrate but lacks the long speed to have high sack totals . What he did do great however was tie up blockers taking on ( or splitting ) the doubleteam, hold his ground, and make plays in the backfield against the run. Also why he didn't get a lot of sacks in any one season, he brought enough pressure up the middle to make the QB stay deep in the pocket. Then Haley, Jeffcoat, Tolbert or others could get him. As a matter of fact I know he led Dallas in tackles behind the line of scrimmage in 2 of our super bowl victory years in the 90's. He took the big money when Dallas got cap squeezed and went to Oakland in free agency . He played well there , but I beleive his only Pro-bowl year was with Dallas.
Pages: [1] 2