2008. A bad year to be an MMA veteran?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » 2008. A bad year to be an MMA veteran?
Diamondback2
1/8/09 1:54:20AM
Well after doing some thinking i realized that pretty much every still fighting MMA fighter that has been around for a long time (either an MMA legend or someone like Pulver who is a crazy-experienced veteran) did not have the best year of their lives. For example:

Matt Hughes:
Got KTFO by Alves which resulted in him blowing out his knee and sidelining them for the rest of the year:

Chuck:
Might not still be conscious form Rashad's overhand right....

Wandy:
Steamrolled Jardine then got flat-lined by Rampage

Big Nog:
Frank Mir.... Nuff' Said...

Randy:
Got KTFO by Lesnar.

Ortiz:
Got ghosted by Machida

Big Tim:
Got sub'd by Nog and sub'd by Fedor.

Pulver:
Lost to Faber by one sided-ass kicking then Garcia knocked him clean out

Faber:
Mike Brown took by belt when everyone was just sure Faber could not in fact lose.

Gomi:
Got beat twice in a row.. Not looking too hot right now....

Combined they are sporting a 5-11 record in 2008!!!
The onyl guys with W's are:
Faber has 1
Nog has 1
Gomi has 2
Wandy has 1

ChokeUout
1/8/09 4:29:15AM
I still think Wandy, Faber, Nog and Gomi have gas left in the tank, they'll be fine, just had some tough fights. I think also Randy Still has a couple good fights left until he retires.

The Rest are pretty much spot on though. It's all part of the evoloution of MMA. Guy like Ortiz, Hughes and Chuck just haven't evolved with the sport. Big Tim DID get beat by the 2 best Heavyweights in the world, but in the process proved he's not among said heavyweights.

Oh well, for each of those fighters there's 3 or 4 hot prospects coming up to take their place.
DCRage
1/8/09 6:35:56AM
You forgot one for the W list: Fedor.
Diamondback2
1/8/09 7:03:58AM
Yeah not everyone had a bad year. But at the start of 08 if i had tried to tell ANYONE that: Pulver, Faber, Liddell, Hughes, Couture, Nog, Ortiz, Wandy, Bif Tim and Gomi would amount an amazing 5-11 record i think i probably would have got banned just for that! lol

And i agree about the newcomers, it is the hottest time in MMA in a while for new talent, as we are in the middle of a changing of the guard throughout all weight classes.

Out with the old, in with the new i guess
mrsmiley
1/8/09 7:55:27AM
Every fighter reaches their peak at some point or another,and all the guys mentioned above have done just that.They now get to join a club that's exclusive to great fighters who's glory days are behind them:

1.Don Frye
2.Kevin Randleman
3.Dan Severn
4.Pedro Rizzo
5.Mark Coleman
6.Royce Gracie
7.Kazushi Sakuraba
8.Bas Rutten
9.Ken Shamrock
10.Renzo Gracie
11.Mark Kerr
12.Igor Vovchanzyn

Lot more you could name,but those are past fighters that I could think of off the top of my head.
The next generation will be:

1.Crocop
2.Liddell
3.Wanderlei
4.Tito
5.Hughes

warglory
1/8/09 5:27:14PM
I definitely wouldn't group Faber in there. The man lost a match because he made a cocky mistake, it's clear Faber is in his prime right now, or has yet to even hit his prime. I'd agree on the rest though, all the legends who lost this year are probably on their way out, including Couture unfortunately.
Diamondback2
1/8/09 5:42:57PM
I don't doubt Faber is in his prime. I'm sure he'll have his belt back by the end of 09.

But pretty much everyone was sure that the ONLY 2 people walking the planet that could beat him were Miguel and Kid.

Brown was sort of being considered by many a "gimme" fight.
bls1919
1/8/09 10:51:19PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Every fighter reaches their peak at some point or another,and all the guys mentioned above have done just that.They now get to join a club that's exclusive to great fighters who's glory days are behind them:

1.Don Frye
2.Kevin Randleman
3.Dan Severn
4.Pedro Rizzo
5.Mark Coleman
6.Royce Gracie
7.Kazushi Sakuraba
8.Bas Rutten
9.Ken Shamrock
10.Renzo Gracie
11.Mark Kerr
12.Igor Vovchanzyn

Lot more you could name,but those are past fighters that I could think of off the top of my head.
The next generation will be:

1.Crocop
2.Liddell
3.Wanderlei
4.Tito
5.Hughes

its hard for me to write off Wanderlei just yet. he is Only 33 yrs old and I think he has a lot of fight left in him. Most of the other you hit on the head though. If Chuck can fill holes in his game he will be good through 2010.