UFC 152 is neutral ground for Bisping

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 152 is neutral ground for Bisping
Bubbles
7/26/12 8:23:27PM
He certainly isn’t the first fighter to say it, but UFC middleweight contender Michael Bisping loves Canada and is thrilled that’s where his next fight will take place.

The Ultimate Fighter season 3 winner is set to meet knockout artist Brian Stann in a featured bout at UFC 152 in Toronto at the Air Canada Centre in a few months.

“I absolutely love Toronto. I had an amazing time last time I fought (in Canada) and I can’t wait for Sept. 22,” Bisping told Jim Lang and Mike Farwell on Brady & Lang on Sportsnet 590 The Fan Wednesday morning.

The Manchester, England native is somewhat of a polarizing figure and is a fighter with as many detractors as he has supporters. Stann is military veteran and extremely popular with American fans, so Bisping is happy their fight is taking place on neutral soil.

“Brian Stann is a decorated war hero and good for him that’s fantastic, but it’s perhaps a good thing I didn’t fight him in deep Texas or something, I might have got shot on the way out to the arena,” Bisping said. “I’m proud to be fighting in Canada, part of the Commonwealth, and hopefully on neutral ground.”

“Brian’s a big, tough, powerful striker and I think the most dangerous weapon that he’s got, I’ve got to look out for his big, powerful bombs basically. I’ve got to look out for his big power shots. If I avoid those I think I’m the better technical fighter, so if I avoid those big one punches of his I think I should be able to beat him.

link
george112
7/26/12 8:55:30PM
He's right about Texas
shaneTpain
7/26/12 9:01:09PM

Posted by george112

He's right about Texas

He's wrong about Canada
meier
7/26/12 9:16:24PM

Posted by shaneTpain

Posted by george112

He's right about Texas

He's wrong about Canada

Sir_Karl
7/26/12 9:20:02PM
Bisping isn't wrong about Canada!!! Canada is totally neutral ground. Canada has always had huge ties to Great Britain and still do. Where do you think all of the Loyalists fled to after the American Revolution? They went to Canada and were called United Empire Loyalists. I descend from several Loyalist and Redcoats who fled to what is now called Ontario. Canada owes much of their existence to Britain and the Loyalists. Canada is actually more than neutral ground for Bisping. It is almost home turf.
shaneTpain
7/26/12 9:57:20PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Bisping isn't wrong about Canada!!! Canada is totally neutral ground. Canada has always had huge ties to Great Britain and still do. Where do you think all of the Loyalists fled to after the American Revolution? They went to Canada and were called United Empire Loyalists. I descend from several Loyalist and Redcoats who fled to what is now called Ontario. Canada owes much of their existence to Britain and the Loyalists. Canada is actually more than neutral ground for Bisping. It is almost home turf.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Aether
7/26/12 10:50:25PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

It's pretty obvious that Bisping is talking about different people's attitude towards him personally, and this little history lesson is completely irrelevant to what is being said.

Most people make their mind up based on their own experiences, not because they read about something that happened 200 years ago.
pmoney
7/26/12 11:48:18PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

I enjoyed that little piece of history, and found it pertinent to the article. Thanks Sir_Karl!
aussiemma
7/27/12 1:02:25AM
you remember when bisping fought wanderlei in sydney ? bisping was saying before the fight how he had a advantage because the fight was in sydney. bisping got the shit booed out of him when he walked out and everyone cheered for wanderlei. bisping is a dick and will continue to be a dick wherever he fights, except maybe for england...maybe.
FlashyG
7/27/12 1:28:14AM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Even though that's all true expect Stann to be favored heavily by the crowd here.

Its not Bisping's nationality that will get him booed, its his personality.
machodog76
7/27/12 1:20:12PM
Bloody Palmer.
Budgellism
7/28/12 2:16:58PM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Sir_Karl

Even though that's all true expect Stann to be favored heavily by the crowd here.

Its not Bisping's nationality that will get him booed, its his personality.

Exactly
Gogoplatapus
7/28/12 3:01:18PM
I'd boo them both.