UFC 151 Cancelled, partial tear to the MCL in Dan Henderson's right knee

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 151 Cancelled, partial tear to the MCL in Dan Henderson's right knee
« Previous Page
Dberntson
8/23/12 5:27:38PM

Posted by OnyxShadow

Its a combination of bad timing and Dan Henderson's fault here. What the hell is Dan doing training hard enough one week out that he gets himself taken out of an upcoming title fight? What this is not is the fault of Jon Jones. Its in no way reasonable for a defending champion (or any other serious fighter) to be expected to take an entirely different opponent with only a week to prepare for it. Its nice for the fans when they do, but it is certainly not always the most wise move.

So many people are determined to be pissed off at Jon Jones for any little thing.

And please don't me laugh about Jones being afraid of Sonnen. Chael is absolutely zero threat to him.

Obviously you have never wrestled. People dont understand the risk of grappling. Its pretty easy to sprain an ankle, knee or should from grappling, even moderate grappling. Anytime you have one person pushing/pulling and the other person resisting, there is a chance someone might roll an ankle or pop a knee.

Also, obviously Chael is a threat to him otherwise he wouldnt have turned it down and accepted an easy pay day. Jackson said himself that fighting Chael would be a huge mistake. He didnt say this because he thought Chael was a stepping stone. For once I am actually going to be cheering for Lyota come September 22nd.
bjj1605
8/23/12 5:29:06PM

Posted by MMA-San

Why can't Dana strip him and book Sonnen vs Machida/Rashad/Shogun for the title?

Make an example Dana, champions don't turn down fights. Anybody is justified in turning down late notice fights except the CHAMPION...it comes with the territory!

Strip him...then strip Silva if he refuses to fight Weidman!

The Weidman thing is completely different. Jones was already signed up to fight on this card. Silva is saying that he'll sign to fight, but not against a nobody with only two wins over top guys.

Besides, the UFC WANTS Silva to fight GSP.

With regards to Jon Jones, I have one word:

INEXCUSABLE
jlock003
8/23/12 5:29:28PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by crushedbacon

I'm not a huge Jones fan. Never have been. But I can't believe how many people are piling on him today.

So the UFC puts together a dog shit card, one SO bad... that losing the title challenger in the main event forces them to cancel the whole show. But Dana says its Jones fault, for not taking a fight against Sonnen 8 days out....

If I'm Jones, I'm not fighting anybody with 8 days notice.... Way too much too lose, going in unprepared for a specific opponent. I'll take the Dana "are you a real fighter" speech all day long. Because according to Dana real fighters don't have the ability to think critically about anything. They should be just be full of "Yes's" and be willing to fight anywhere for any amount....

Jones had the chance to look like a hero had he said "im not a fan of the short notice fight but you know what, I'm gonna do it". He would have looked real good had he accepted. He would have gained more fans and got that respect he says he deserved. Not just that, he was just saying he doesn't wanna retire broke.....well, you step up and take this...BOOM, big pay day. For a guy so concerned with his image you would think he woulda jumped at this. If he's not willing to take the fight on 8 days notice then I'm sorry, he's not as confident as I thought. It's not like he wasn't training for a fight. All he has to do is change a few things and he should be ok. Greg Jackson can plan for anything.....remember.

It's these types of situations that make you a true superstar in fans eyes. You come up big in these situations. You take on all comers whenever, wherever. Thats why people love Liddell and Hendo and now Chael. Their down for whatever.

t,

Definitely valid points. I think that's sort of the downfall of the movement of mma into the mainstream though. It's a lot like football players holding out, the nba lockout, nhl lockout, baseball strike etc... The sport has grown and is attracting incredible athletes now, but the days of guys like Liddell, Franklin, Hendo, even Chael taking any fight at any time are rapidly disappearing. I'm having an incredibly difficult time in this forum because I just posted like 5 different things in a forum about how it's fine for Anderson to not fight Weidman and him earning that right etc... Silva does have the GSP option on the table, and it's not a fight that's booked and that the entire card hinges on, but I'm definitely trying to minimize my hypocrisy. I wish Jones would've taken the fight. I know for a fact that he is going to lose a boat load of fans over this decision, upset a lot of the fighters backstage, and make his boss incredibly angry with him (not that such a thing hasn't ever happened with Dana). I can see the other side though where he didn't see the value in fighting Chael on short notice. It's just a bit surprising to me. As far as stripping Jones of the title that's an overreaction in my opinion, but I did hear Dana say in the interview that if he refused to fight Lyoto he would, "Be holding another press conference today and it wouldn't be good." Then Ariel asked, "What do you mean?" It was actually a pretty funny exchange but Dana was clearly insinuating that he would cut Jones. I doubt that he would but I've been wrong before.
prophecy033
8/23/12 5:29:30PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Also interesting that Jones took his first UFC fight on less than 14 days notice, as well as stepped in on short notice to fight Shogun

good points Shawn
scoozna
8/23/12 5:30:57PM

I'd love to hear Jones/Jackson's reasoning for not taking the Sonnen fight - was it that they feel they should only be fighting #1 contenders? Was it simply that they didn't have time to put together a proper game plan?
Bubbles
8/23/12 5:31:29PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

UFC shouldn't just rely on one fighter to have the card stay.

Make it free, broadcast it on facebook.

When was the last time a main event fight had to be put together on 8 days notice? I can't remember that far back.

Brenneman stepped up the day before to take on Story
Manak
8/23/12 5:51:00PM
don't need to repeat what others have said but agree with what most have said.

but how would jones be unprepared. he had a full camp preparing vs a strong wrestler with a big over hand right who will come forward. chael is a strong wrestler who will come forward who is taking a fight with a one week camp and is going up in weight... not to mention all the talk about money & you turn down a fight with chael who will generate high ppv number that jones can't generate.

you can refund the tickets but what about all the fans that to fly in and hotels. Chael would have been the savior not jones. jones is now even more of a goat. a guy was willing to fight on 9 days notice vs this supposed second coming and the guy who is already signed for this fight card says no??? I have seen fighters say no to taking a fight on short notice since they weren't booked and not training full time but not the guy who is booked saying no after his opponent went down.
prozacnation1978
8/23/12 5:55:45PM
Okay. I am pissed off big time.
For a fan who was actually going to the event
Not only did I screw myself cause now I can't request anymore days off till Dec. Not only did I beg my boss so I can go. But this is gonna be hell to get all my money back
Talking ticketmaster. Expedia for the hotel. I can't get the flight money back just the credit. Ufc fucked me once again

Jones fault. I am now anti Jones
Ufc fault for a Shit card to make this happen

This caused a lot of problems for me. I should get all my money back. But the needs to give a little bit more for the ticket buyers. Shit I am from cali

There are fans from Canada and England who they screwed over. They need to give us all free one year memberships

I can't tell u how upset I am. U guys got just a ear full. Just wait how bad I am gonna be on the Ufc fight club forums
prophecy033
8/23/12 6:06:56PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Okay. I am pissed off big time.
For a fan who was actually going to the event
Not only did I screw myself cause now I can't request anymore days off till Dec. Not only did I beg my boss so I can go. But this is gonna be hell to get all my money back
Talking ticketmaster. Expedia for the hotel. I can't get the flight money back just the credit. Ufc fucked me once again

Jones fault. I am now anti Jones
Ufc fault for a Shit card to make this happen

This caused a lot of problems for me. I should get all my money back. But the needs to give a little bit more for the ticket buyers. Shit I am from cali

There are fans from Canada and England who they screwed over. They need to give us all free one year memberships

I can't tell u how upset I am. U guys got just a ear full. Just wait how bad I am gonna be on the Ufc fight club forums

you get 'em prozac
prozacnation1978
8/23/12 6:23:39PM
Got a full refund on the hotel back.
But ticketmaster I hope Ufc has noticed them about the cancel event
BuffaloDave
8/23/12 6:30:26PM
Blame Silva and Selby for putting together a weak card!!

People want to bash Jones for turning down the fight, but 8 days to study for Shael, probably isn't enough time, not like this is just a normal fight, were talking a title fight. Had this happen a little while ago, and Bones still turned the fight, I could see people being upset, but were talking a week away.
shaneTpain
8/23/12 6:35:01PM
prozacnation1978
8/23/12 6:38:30PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Got a full refund on the hotel back.
But ticketmaster I hope Ufc has noticed them about the cancel event

Called ticketmaster. They were already aware of it. Got all my money back.

Now just cost me the rest of the year asking to request a day or vacation off. I can't get that back
Thanks Ufc
Wolfenstein
8/23/12 6:43:33PM
As has been said, I find it unacceptable and unbecoming of a champ to behave as Jon Jones has. Props to Chael, he's a warrior, and he backed up what he said in his tirade with Jones on Twitter. Jones on the other hand was all talk.

On the flipside, some blame has to be put on the UFC for making such a horrible card that completely relied on one fight as the selling point. I feel like they were really trying to rip off the fans by just putting up one blockbuster fight, and a bunch of prelim fights...so maybe they're getting a little taste of their own greed.
Poor_Franklin
8/23/12 6:47:48PM
i understand why the UFC is against champs fighting in non-title fights, but this would have been a great exception, considering all of the fallout from cancelling the card.
lohmann
8/23/12 7:02:59PM
This is the same sort of stuff that was the downfall of Affliction. Maybe even worse, considering the UFC's vast amount of resources to throw together interesting fights on short notice and load cards up with proper co-main events.

I never thought the UFC would outright cancel a card.
Twenty20Dollars
8/23/12 7:08:40PM
I don't think anyone was super excited for this event and that it's cancellation is devastating.

Come on, we can live without one event as fans.

Sure, it sucks for the other fighters but there's nothing we can do about it. If Dana wanted to save the card, he would have, but he didn't.
Aether
8/23/12 8:27:39PM
I'm not sure what I think about Jones' decision. It would be interesting to know if he actually knew that refusing Chael would mean cancelling the card entirely.
lohmann
8/23/12 8:29:58PM

Posted by Aether

I'm not sure what I think about Jones' decision. It would be interesting to know if he actually knew that refusing Chael would mean cancelling the card entirely.

If he did, I wonder if he would have cared. It is not his responsibility to ensure that the card goes on.

This entire situation's blame can not be placed on the shoulders of a single person.
aussiemma
8/23/12 8:54:55PM
wow !!! i know it's short notice but jones should have really taken that fight. Simply, if jones is fighting we still got a card to see...im not mad im just dissapointed
Adrenaline
8/23/12 8:57:45PM

Cooler
8/23/12 9:31:19PM
There's no way Chael Sonnen a MW was the only fight on 8 days they could've found. And that fight would not have been competitive anyway and Chael does NOT deserve that fight in any way shape or form. Plenty of guys would've taken that on short notice, there is no way none of the LHW contenders actually said no to this and it's not like they have to cancel the whole event anyway, just promote the co-main event as a rematch
warglory
8/23/12 9:33:23PM
Yeah I don't get the hate here, I really don't. I am not a fan of Jones, but the man fought FOUR times in 2011, one of which was a title bout, with the second two being defenses. The man has changed the landscape of the division, and has never questioned any of his opponents before this. Now, all of a sudden he isn't the perfect company man, he gets all the blame for the card being cancelled? It's not his responsibility, champion or not, to make sure an event goes off without a hitch. That's not what he is paid for. People turn down fights all the time. Jones is a professional, and say what you will about Greg Jackson, but the man is the best strategist in the business. Taking a fight on 8 days notice is straight up dangerous for your career, and when you have worked your tail off like Jones, I think having the ability to make a choice is well deserved.

I think we all need to take a breather, and learn to pick our battles with Jones, instead of frying him whenever we get the opportunity.
icantthinkofanything
8/23/12 9:36:26PM
Whats up with this ish? Injuries is the new normal, and fighters should be expected to fight any replacement fighter. JJ should have taken this fight, since Chael is prolly not a big 205 yet, and is prolly not in shape. I know that its two different styles of wrestler but this should have been an easy knockout bonus, but I wonder why Jones would turn down anyone except a heavyweight, get Nick Diaz to fight jones in a parking lot, that would sell tons.
Bubbles
8/23/12 9:48:05PM

Posted by Cooler

There's no way Chael Sonnen a MW was the only fight on 8 days they could've found. And that fight would not have been competitive anyway and Chael does NOT deserve that fight in any way shape or form. Plenty of guys would've taken that on short notice, there is no way none of the LHW contenders actually said no to this and it's not like they have to cancel the whole event anyway, just promote the co-main event as a rematch

Machida turned it down. I would guess that Shogun and Gustaffson would have too because it wasn't a full fight camp. Sonnen was down the list of guys Dana called and the first to say yes. I doubt other guys were in shape and ready to cut weight in 8 days
george112
8/23/12 9:52:00PM

Posted by warglory

Yeah I don't get the hate here, I really don't. I am not a fan of Jones, but the man fought FOUR times in 2011, one of which was a title bout, with the second two being defenses. The man has changed the landscape of the division, and has never questioned any of his opponents before this. Now, all of a sudden he isn't the perfect company man, he gets all the blame for the card being cancelled? It's not his responsibility, champion or not, to make sure an event goes off without a hitch. That's not what he is paid for. People turn down fights all the time. Jones is a professional, and say what you will about Greg Jackson, but the man is the best strategist in the business. Taking a fight on 8 days notice is straight up dangerous for your career, and when you have worked your tail off like Jones, I think having the ability to make a choice is well deserved.

I think we all need to take a breather, and learn to pick our battles with Jones, instead of frying him whenever we get the opportunity.

When you say "we all" does that also include basically the whole stable of 151 fighters AND some strikeforce fighters.

It's not just us. It's EVERYONE
Shawn91111
8/23/12 9:54:24PM
haha

Jon Jones
@jonjones
Art Producer\Outsourcing Manager in the video game industry. I run smArtist, a contract art production agency, and I love what I do. :)

Jon Jones ?@jonjones
@Ryan2608 @MikeStraka Sucks to be me especially right now because I'm the wrong Jon Jones, and I'm getting bombarded with hatred. :P

Jon Jones ?@jonjones
haha! The UFC fighter Jon Jones backed out of a fight and now I'm getting flooded with horrible, cruel insults because people think I'm him.

Jon Jones ?@jonjones
@ADRsMouse In all seriousness, I would take the fight, because I think it would be really funny. Even though I would probably die
Twenty20Dollars
8/23/12 9:54:38PM
Dana just wants to throw all the blame elsewhere so he doesn't have to take any.

You can blast Greg Jackson but Jones has the final say in what he does.

I'm sure it's easy to say Jones should take the fight when no one else is actually in the position that he is in, only him.
Poor_Franklin
8/24/12 5:05:28AM

Posted by Shawn91111

haha

Jon Jones
@jonjones
Art Producer\Outsourcing Manager in the video game industry. I run smArtist, a contract art production agency, and I love what I do. :)

Jon Jones ?@jonjones
@Ryan2608 @MikeStraka Sucks to be me especially right now because I'm the wrong Jon Jones, and I'm getting bombarded with hatred. :P

Jon Jones ?@jonjones
haha! The UFC fighter Jon Jones backed out of a fight and now I'm getting flooded with horrible, cruel insults because people think I'm him.

Jon Jones ?@jonjones
@ADRsMouse In all seriousness, I would take the fight, because I think it would be really funny. Even though I would probably die

Pages: 1 2 [3]