UFC 151 Cancelled, partial tear to the MCL in Dan Henderson's right knee

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 151 Cancelled, partial tear to the MCL in Dan Henderson's right knee
Next Page »
Shawn91111
8/23/12 2:05:10PM
Jordan Breen ?@jordanbreen
Dan Henderson has suffered a partial MCL tear, couldn't keep training through it. UFC 151 has been canceled. Sign o' the times, big time.

Jeremy Botter ?@jeremybotter
Dana says this is one of his all-time lows. They are canceling UFC 151.

A partial tear to the medial collateral ligament in Dan Henderson's right knee forced the cancelation Thursday of the entire UFC 151 card, which was slated for Sept. 1 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.
UFC president Dana White said light heavyweight champion Jon Jones declined to fight Chael Sonnen, whom he proposed as a replacement for Henderson. That would have kept the show alive, but White said when Jones wouldn't agree to meet Sonnen, he had no choice but to cancel the show.
"I'm stunned," White told Yahoo! Sports Thursday. "We've never had a situation where this happened before, where a champion wouldn't step up to fight."

LINK
kopower
8/23/12 2:06:06PM
Wow
Card
8/23/12 2:07:41PM
Dana - "Greg Jackson is a sport killer"
cowcatcher
8/23/12 2:07:43PM
Dana on Greg Jackson - "This guy is a fucking sport killer!"

Shawn91111
8/23/12 2:08:12PM
White states Greg Jackson said on taking this Sonnen fight for Jones: "This would be the biggest mistake of your career."

Luke Thomas ?@SBNLukeThomas
Dana: 'This guy is a fucking sport killer" on Greg Jackson
Chael_Sonnen
8/23/12 2:13:18PM
Little JJ was petrified to fight a grown man
grappler0000
8/23/12 2:14:10PM
Well, I guess the takeaway will be a bunch of fighters ready to fill in the gaps on other cards.
backalley101
8/23/12 2:14:21PM
I don't want to say anything , I might get banned
cowcatcher
8/23/12 2:16:03PM
Jones has steadily lost fans over the past several months, and this is basically career suicide for him. The die hards are never going to let him live this down. Incredibly disappointing, and I really can't think of one good thing to say about the guy now outside of his in-cage skills.
Poor_Franklin
8/23/12 2:17:47PM

Posted by backalley101

I don't want to say anything , I might get banned

me too. i believe i'll be lurking on this for most of the day
Shawn91111
8/23/12 2:17:50PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Jones has steadily lost fans over the past several months, and this is basically career suicide for him. The die hards are never going to let him live this down. Incredibly disappointing, and I really can't think of one good thing to say about the guy now outside of his in-cage skills.

Go get some fans Jon
RhythmAndStyle
8/23/12 2:23:34PM
Jones is becoming more unbearable as each story comes out..smh
prophecy033
8/23/12 2:25:47PM
Holy Shit this is so fucked

Jones would have gained respect in my eyes had he taken the Sonnen fight on short notice. I know I knock the guy but taking on a guy like Sonnen in this situation gains you nothing but brownie points but Greg Jackson fucked that up for him. Both of their images too a hit today. He Greg, go get some fans, brah
SmileR
8/23/12 2:29:15PM
The LHW champ is already running scared of the largest arms in West Linn, Oregon. What I've taken from this is Uncle Chael will whoop Jones and now the world knows he's scared!
Twenty20Dollars
8/23/12 2:30:48PM
UFC ?@ufc
Dana: "We've never ever had a fighter refuse to fight a guy... every day, crazy shit happens, here's a new crazy one for us."

So, I guess Dana was lying when Shogun turned down the Glover fight.

-------------------------

8 days is a little ridiculous to set up a new fight, especially a main event.
prophecy033
8/23/12 2:34:59PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

UFC ?@ufc
Dana: "We've never ever had a fighter refuse to fight a guy... every day, crazy shit happens, here's a new crazy one for us."

Shit happens. You wanna gain that respect you think you don't get.....here is how you do it. Sure he might lose but he runs that risk in every fight, short notice or not

You know what is REALLY ridiculous.....Jones turning down a fight that reults in a WHOLE card being canceled.

I'm not mad at you Twenty, just the situation. No disrespect bro
sparky
8/23/12 2:35:14PM
This absolutely blows im not a fan of fighters who turned down fights and now we have champions in 2 divisions who are doing so just sad in my opinion but if Anderson can do it why cant Jones.

This is what seperates GSP apart from other champs he fights whoever he is asked to and thats what a champion is suppose to do
jlock003
8/23/12 2:35:40PM

UFC ?@ufc

Jones is refusing to fight anyone man. Shogun did fight. That interview was intense!

I will grant you there weren't a lot of other guys on the table for Jones in 8 days though. It's not like he had several options.
airkerma
8/23/12 2:37:43PM
Props to Chael, for being ready to step up and fight one of the most talented fighters in the sport today. This is without even having a tune up fight or anything at LHW...my mind is boggled that Jones wouldn't accept this fight.
goheels
8/23/12 2:37:46PM
Jones is too scared to fight the gangster from wesleyan who hadn't been training and would have to cut weight on short notice?

While I don't want to get banned for comments about JJ at this point, major props for Sonnen to step up when no one else would.

ah, I can't resist. FU JJ
prophecy033
8/23/12 2:40:32PM

Posted by goheels

Jones is too scared to fight the gangster from West Linn who hadn't been training and would have to cut weight on short notice?

While I don't want to get banned for comments about JJ at this point, major props for Sonnen to step up when no one else would.

ah, I can't resist. FU JJ

Fixed
JWils
8/23/12 2:42:57PM
I would like to see the difference in the money lost for cancelling 151 & and the ppv money gained for 152 by having Jones vs. Machida.
prophecy033
8/23/12 2:46:44PM
The thing that gets me is Jones was just saying he didn't want to retire broke.....he would have made MORE cheddar had he taken this fight. More ppv buy (arguable) and extra cash from Dana. Chael even said if he accepted the figjht he would give Jones his purse (doubt that). I'm really at a loss for words.
Twenty20Dollars
8/23/12 2:47:51PM
UFC shouldn't just rely on one fighter to have the card stay.

Make it free, broadcast it on facebook.

When was the last time a main event fight had to be put together on 8 days notice? I can't remember that far back.
pmoney
8/23/12 2:48:28PM
Hell yeah, way to go Jonny. screw the company, the fans, and all the fighters on the card.
Hillbilly
8/23/12 2:52:07PM
Why are they dumping it all on Jones? Have they never had a main event fighter get injured before? It isn't Jones fault that the card was too weak to carry itself without him on it.
State_Champ
8/23/12 2:54:03PM
From my perspective, it appears that Jones is behaving like a coward with this decision.

Any time a fight is turned down, I think it seems a bit cowardly.

I DO NOT think Chael deserved to fight Jones even though he was eager, but I think Jones should have jumped at the chance to punish Chael for his insolence.
Yeah, that's the kind of champ I'd prefer.

I
Twenty20Dollars
8/23/12 2:58:56PM

Posted by Hillbilly

Why are they dumping it all on Jones? Have they never had a main event fighter get injured before? It isn't Jones fault that the card was too weak to carry itself without him on it.

Agreed.

It didn't look like a good card on paper, but sometimes they turn out good.

But, maybe Dana should have tried something else other than 1 option of Jones getting a new fight or no card.

Just have someone else face Sonnen on 8 days as the main event.
Twenty20Dollars
8/23/12 3:10:11PM
Tim Sylvia vs Sonnen
jlock003
8/23/12 3:13:37PM

UFC shouldn't just rely on one fighter to have the card stay.

Make it free, broadcast it on facebook.

When was the last time a main event fight had to be put together on 8 days notice? I can't remember that far back.

I can't prop, gotta spread the love, but I generally prop if a guy makes a valid comment that's going to be very unpopular. Well said. As far as the last time it's happened it was probably a fight Franklin stepped up for be it the Wandy fight, the Chuck fight or maybe Belfort, but quite honestly I'm not sure the timing. I know Leben took a really short notice fight...thinking maybe that was a spike tv main event?
Pages: [1] 2 3