UFC 148 adds welterweights Maia vs. Kim, middleweights Fukuda vs. Philippou

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 148 adds welterweights Maia vs. Kim, middleweights Fukuda vs. Philippou
BuffaloDave
3/21/12 3:45:32PM
UFC 148's fight card continues to fill as the promotion today announced a pair of new matchups, including the welterweight debut of onetime middleweight challenger Demian Maia.

Maia (15-4 MMA, 9-4 UFC) vs. Dong Hyun Kim (15-1-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) and middleweights Riki Fukuda (18-5 MMA, 1-1 UFC) vs. Constantinos Philippou (10-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) are set for the event, which takes place July 7 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

LINK
Budgellism
3/21/12 4:03:01PM
This is the perfect Welterweight debut fight for Maia. And the Fukuda vs. Philippou fight is going to be awesome.
FastKnockout
3/21/12 4:07:09PM
I like both of these match-ups. Joe Silva nailed em.
Bubbles
3/21/12 4:07:33PM
very winnable fight for Maia
sparky
3/21/12 4:19:22PM
Good fight for Maia to see what he can do at welter weight. Phillppou is tough as nails really starting to like this guy. He always comes to throw down.
DrivenDavies15
3/21/12 4:38:20PM
Sweet fights here is all I have to say . I wish they would announce some fights for UFC 147 in Rio but now i'm just getting greedy
bjj1605
3/21/12 5:06:49PM
Maia vs Kim could be an awesome fight.

If this fight goes to the ground we're gonna see a pretty cool Judo vs Jiu Jitsu battle.
Bubbles
3/21/12 5:39:13PM

Posted by bjj1605

If this fight goes to the ground we're gonna see a pretty cool Judo vs Jiu Jitsu battle.

we had that chance when DHK fought Nate Diaz...instead Kim just laid on him
bjj1605
3/21/12 6:41:52PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

we had that chance when DHK fought Nate Diaz...instead Kim just laid on him

True...

but I don't think Kim will be able to do that to Maia.
KungFuMaster
3/21/12 6:41:56PM
I like the match up between Maia and Kim because I feel they are evenly matched but I honestly think it's going to lack fireworks. Kim is not a striker. Maia is not exactly a striker either. I think this is going to be a lack luster grappling match.
rush13
3/22/12 3:06:39AM
Good even match-ups...Maia and Philippou will be the betting favourites I'm sure...being a big Maia fan I knew they would give him a top 15-20 guy...Maia decision and Philippou decision.
State_Champ
3/22/12 9:05:35AM

Posted by Budgellism

This is the perfect Welterweight debut fight for Maia. And the Fukuda vs. Philippou fight is going to be awesome.

I like Fukuda/Philippou, but Kim is a terrible match-up for Maia in my opinion.
Kim has great TDD and grappling, and he is really strong. Maia, on the other hand, will be making his first weight cut and competing against a guy who he probably cannot use much BJJ against since he will probably have a hell of a tiome taking Kim down.