UFC 146 shakeup continues: With Mir moved to main event, Velasquez draws 'Bigfoot'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 146 shakeup continues: With Mir moved to main event, Velasquez draws 'Bigfoot'
Budgellism
4/22/12 6:46:42PM
With Frank Mir pulled from a planned UFC 146 bout with Cain Velasquez (9-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) in favor of a main-event contest with UFC heavyweight champ Junior Dos Santos, Antonio Silva (16-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has now also drawn a new opponent.

Originally expected to face Roy Nelson at the event, "Bigfoot" Silva now takes Mir's original slot against Velasquez.

After refusing to disclose the matchup at Saturday night's UFC 145 post-fight press conference, UFC president Dana White today announced the plans via Twitter.

Nelson is expected to remain on the card, but UFC execs have yet to reveal his new opponent.

LINK

Looks like Nelson was just screwing around when he announced he got the fight.
shaneTpain
4/22/12 6:57:44PM
what was big country smokin..?
BuffaloDave
4/22/12 6:59:23PM
Wonder if Browne will get offered Nelson?
Budgellism
4/22/12 7:01:23PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

I hope so. I know it's a quick turn around for Browne but I don't think he took any amount of damage in the Griggs fight so why not if he can do it. That'd be a great fight.
BuffaloDave
4/22/12 7:08:23PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by BuffaloDave

I hope so. I know it's a quick turn around for Browne but I don't think he took any amount of damage in the Griggs fight so why not if he can do it. That'd be a great fight.

He already said he would fill in for Mir against Cain, so as long he can get medically approved, might as well!

I just hope Ol' Roy gets an opponent so we can keep the all HW main card.
Twenty20Dollars
4/22/12 7:39:06PM
Ok, this is much better. I couldn't have Cain/Nelson being no.1 contender.

I mean still this shouldn't be no.1 contender fight, the winner should have to fight someone else, but if this fight is I'd rather it be these two.

Wasn't this fight rumored when bigfoot came over from SF?

Silva does have that big target of a head for Cain to hit.
BuffaloDave
4/22/12 7:53:10PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Ok, this is much better. I couldn't have Cain/Nelson being no.1 contender.

I mean still this shouldn't be no.1 contender fight, the winner should have to fight someone else, but if this fight is I'd rather it be these two.

Wasn't this fight rumored when bigfoot came over from SF?

Silva does have that big target of a head for Cain to hit.

I don't think it's a #1 contender fight, Nothing in the article says it is, Dana didn't say if it was or not either when he tweeted the match up this afternoon, I bet if anything, it's just if Cain wins, he gets it. And, Yes it was Cain/Bigfoot rumored a few months back.
crushedbacon
4/22/12 8:26:09PM
AKA will continue crushing Bigfoot.... Uppercut to that chin and hammer fists.... Just like Cormier.
prozacnation1978
4/22/12 10:35:16PM
My money is on nelson vs Browne

Or nelson vs rothwell rematch

Either one is good with me
jae_1833
4/22/12 11:02:59PM
OMG just let me know when this is finally all sorted out so i can make picks.
Bubbles
4/23/12 12:17:46AM
so is AO officially done then (for the card)? no chance for appeal or getting cleared after the hearing?
Pookie
4/23/12 12:30:06AM

Posted by Bubbles

so is AO officially done then (for the card)? no chance for appeal or getting cleared after the hearing?

His hearing is in two days. Maybe the UFC just knows something we don't.
DrivenDavies15
4/23/12 12:43:42AM
Anyone know if they're bringing Kharitonov over with the other SF heavyweights? I think putting him in against Big Country would be a great fight.
sparky
4/23/12 12:59:40AM
Call up big Timmy LMFAO

Budgellism
4/23/12 1:21:48AM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Anyone know if they're bringing Kharitonov over with the other SF heavyweights? I think putting him in against Big Country would be a great fight.

I don't think they are but damn, that would be awesome
pmoney
4/23/12 1:27:10AM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by DrivenDavies15

I don't think they are but damn, that would be awesome

I agree with both of these statements. Kharitonov is a good HW, and the only dude to beat Mike Russow. I'd like to see him in the octagon.

BlueSkiesBurn
4/23/12 3:52:27AM
I honestly feel like this card should buy some of these heavyweights a lot of good will. I have yet to see anyone mention how drastically different all these opponents are from one another during this shuffle.

Mir might very well possess the ability to beat JDS, but it's doubtful he stands any chance on a month's notice (less than that if you count the week of the event as mostly press and travel) .

Bigfoot wasn't training for a wrestler with the credentials and abilities of Cain. Nelson doesn't wrestle anyone unless it's for the last donut.

Nelson wasn't training for Hapa. Hapa is massively different than Bigfoot.

JDS & Velasquez are the clear winners here. Normally you only have to replace a fighter, not shuffle an entire card. I just hope Uncle Dana takes that into account after most of these guys (not JDS or Cain) likely lose big on such short notice.
Pookie
4/23/12 4:14:53AM
Was
Junior v. Overeem
Cain v. Mir
Bigfoot v. Roy

Is now
Junior v. Mir
Cain v. Bigfoot
Roy v. Browne/Rothwell(any announcements?)

Junior was training to strike and avoid the clinch against Overeem, and that Gameplan will perfectly suit this match-up against Mir.

Mir was training to avoid a 4-pronged striking attack, Bottom position submissions, and anti-wrestling(maybe) against Cain. This will not help him against Junior at all. Think how bad Lil Nog looked against Brilz - Trained for a striker, fought a wrestler - In this fight Mir trained for a wrestler and gets a striker.

Cain was training Bjj defense, counter striking, and striking defense for Mir, whilst doing wrestling because that's what he does. This helps him against Bigfoot, since bigfoot isn't likely to wrestle Cain down, has no headmovement, and his Bjj isn't nearly as good. But he is bigger, longer, and faster. Cain needs to make sure he doesnt get hit from a distance, and that he doesnt break his hands on Bigfoots head like 3/4 of his opponents have.

Bigfoot was training for Nelson, so what he'll have to change in his gameplan is the angle of strikes, kicking defense, and an opponent fighting off his back - in place of TDD. I think This is a long fight for Bigfoot if he can't stop the takedown.

Now i Think Roy actually has a good conversion here - Bigfoot is rangy, powerful, and adequate with his wrestling/Bjj. He essentially trained to land big on a tall well-rounded fighter who likes to stand. And both his replacement options are tall well rounded fighters who prefer to stand. Browne has better movement though, and that's hard to correct on short notice, but it can be done with a change in strategy that is less concerned with being taken down, which i dont think Browne can do to Roy, due to the difference in their center of gravities.

Pookie
4/23/12 4:15:32AM
Also, War Mark Hunt.
calitrees
4/23/12 5:17:51PM
They should put Nelson in there with Hunt and have Rothwell fight Struve