UFC 146 latest: 'Hendo' interested in Dos Santos title fight, Mir-Velasquez 'will happen'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 146 latest: 'Hendo' interested in Dos Santos title fight, Mir-Velasquez 'will happen'
Next Page »
sparky
4/7/12 11:12:19AM
A few days after Alistair Overeem failed a drug test and likely cost himself a title shot, UFC officials have announced no replacement for his UFC 146 bout with heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos.

However, there have been some interesting developments.

Veteran middleweight and light heavyweight Dan Henderson has expressed his interest in the bout, and UFC president Dana White seemingly has ruled out the possibility of Frank Mir stepping in.

UFC 146, of course, takes place May 26, and the pay-per-view main card airs from Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena. Overeem (36-11 MMA, 1-0 UFC) was expected to take on Dos Santos (14-1 MMA, 8-0 UFC) in the championship headliner, but the former Strikeforce and DREAM champ recently failed a surprise drug test (his T/E ratio was 14:1, well over the 6:1 cutoff), and the Nevada State Athletic Commission is now unlikely to license him for the fight.

In recent days, fans have launched campaigns to push for everyone from Mark Hunt (8-7 MMA, 3-1 UFC) to Fedor Emelianenko (33-4 MMA, 0-0 UFC) to Fabricio Werdum (15-5-1 MMA, 3-2 UFC) to be the replacement. However, many considered Mir (16-5 MMA, 14-5 UFC), who's currently slated to fight ex-champ Cain Velasquez (9-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) on the UFC 146 main card, the leading candidate.

But UFC president Dana White seemed to discount that possibility in a recent tweet when responding to a fan.

"Mir vs. Cain will happen," he tweeted early this morning, suggesting he won't break up that matchup.

Link
grappler0000
4/7/12 11:30:16AM
Well, that would be interesting. I don't think setting up the H-bomb would work on a guy like JDS, but I'd be willing to watch and see.
Franklinfan47
4/7/12 11:41:06AM
Hendo would fight a horse and then eat it Overoid-style

Gotta admire his fighting spirit, but hard to picture him dealing with the size difference.
sparky
4/7/12 11:41:21AM
I say give Hendo the fight so I can finally watch him get KTFO.

Budgellism
4/7/12 11:50:13AM
I wouldn't be disappointed if they gave him the shot. Mark Hunt, Frank Mir, Fedor or Hendo. I'm fine with any of them.
Twenty20Dollars
4/7/12 12:56:24PM
This will be a big mistake.

Hendo shouldn't get a title shot at HW or MW, where he hasn't even been fighting over someone like Mir, Hunt or even Cain.
KingCmb
4/7/12 12:58:54PM
I still see Mir getting it eventually
pmoney
4/7/12 1:12:19PM
Dan Henderson has officially cemented his status as my favorite person on Earth with this move.
mrsmiley
4/7/12 1:44:57PM
Hendo might do alright. I don't know it would be interesting for sure.
I would like to see how his wrestling held up if he applied it against JDS.
jjeans
4/7/12 2:05:37PM
Hendo or Hunt just do it now please!
Svartorm
4/7/12 2:59:33PM
Just call it a super fight and make it a non-title with a catch-weight of something reasonable. You don't have to worry about the title, JDS doesn't waste a training camp and the fans love it.
State_Champ
4/7/12 3:10:35PM
I really wanted to see Hunt get the fight, just because is it would be a nice comeback story for Hunt.
However, the level of awesomeness which would be achieved if Hendo entered the octagon and fought Dos Santos would be much higher than Hunt/Dos Santos.

Please, UFC, let Henderson fight Dos Santos.
PLEASE!

Dberntson
4/7/12 3:59:01PM
Hendo is a man among men. That man is a stud. If he fought JDS and won, he would hands down be the pound for pound king.
BlueSkiesBurn
4/7/12 4:47:02PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Has Hendo even used his wrestling since 2008? I'd like to see if he even knows how to use it still.
supatolacyl
4/7/12 5:18:58PM
I like both mir and hendo, but I like hendo/dos santos fight more then I do the mir/dos santos, for the simple fact that hendo can take a punch better then mir can. That will be a big factor with whoever fights dos santos, I also don't like hendo just sitting on the shelf at his age, he needs to fight all he can as fast as he can get the matches.

I don't believe there will be as much a size difference outside of the highth, dos santos usualy weighs in around 235lbs and that is without cutting any lbs and hendo cut down his last fight to make 207lbs and on fight day was reported to be around 225lbs. If hendo is willing to sacrafice his title shot against the baddest guy on the roster let him go up to hw and try to take it.
jjeans
4/7/12 5:26:38PM

Posted by Dberntson

Hendo is a man among men. That man is a stud. If he fought JDS and won, he would hands down be the pound for pound king.

Palhares Win
Franklin Win
Bisping Win
Jake Shields Loss
Sobral Win
Cavalcante Win
Fedor Win
Shogun Win

PRIDE WW & MW Championship
PRIDE WW Tournament Winner
UFC MW Tournament Winner

All he lacks is a HW Title and a new age championship (UFC or Strikeforce) to really cement himself as literally the greatest pound for pound fighter of all time.

Mark Hunt however would have possibly the greatest MMA career Comeback of all time.
Twenty20Dollars
4/7/12 5:28:22PM
Are we really going to trust Dana's word? Which doesn't hold much weight these days as he always changes his mind.
pmoney
4/7/12 6:08:32PM

Posted by jjeans

All he lacks is a HW Title and a new age championship (UFC or Strikeforce) to really cement himself as literally the greatest pound for pound fighter of all time.

Don't forget Jay, Dan won the Strikeforce LHW championship when he KO'ed Cavalcante! If he were to get a HW belt, he'd be the only major promotion champion across three weight classes I am aware of.
prozacnation1978
4/7/12 6:31:43PM
There better still be a title fight

I don't care against who
mrsmiley
4/7/12 6:33:04PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by mrsmiley

Has Hendo even used his wrestling since 2008? I'd like to see if he even knows how to use it still.

He's gotta make it challenging for himself.
Poor_Franklin
4/7/12 7:11:02PM
We are thankful Dan Henderson allows us to live on the same planet as him.

Adrenaline
4/7/12 7:14:32PM

Posted by supatolacyl

I don't believe there will be as much a size difference outside of the highth, dos santos usualy weighs in around 235lbs and that is without cutting any lbs and hendo cut down his last fight to make 207lbs and on fight day was reported to be around 225lbs. If hendo is willing to sacrafice his title shot against the baddest guy on the roster let him go up to hw and try to take it.

I think you might be confused, Henderson last weighed in against Shogun at 203 lbs and I don't think he cut hardly any weight for that. You must be referring to his fight with Fedor when he weighed in at 207lbs. That fight was at HW, why would he cut down from 225 to 207 in the first place if he weighed that much? I believe that Dan makes LHW easily and cuts little to no weight. Ha ha from what I heard, Hendo had to hold his pee just to make 207lbs in order to make his fight with Fedor an official HW fight. There will definately be a substantial size difference between him and JDS. No biggie I just wanted to make sure you didn't misinterpret something you heard. Hell maybe he does weigh 225 come fight time but I would be surprised.

On topic, win or lose, how f'ing badass is Hendo that people consider him a viable title challenger in three different weight divisions. That's unreal. Dan is a living legend for sure.
Shawn91111
4/7/12 7:22:49PM
Yea Hendo walks around under 205, he doesnt cut to get to his LHW weight.
george112
4/7/12 7:37:18PM
Fedor
Sakuraba
Newton
Henderson

Dans the man. Always has been. It's about time to see him getting his due
Travesty145
4/7/12 7:49:02PM
dan henderson will never win a ufc championship
Shawn91111
4/7/12 7:57:31PM

Posted by Travesty145

dan henderson will never win a ufc championship

Whats the lottery numbers this week?
grappler0000
4/7/12 9:08:34PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by mrsmiley

Just basing this off of memory, but I believe he went for a TD at least once against both Franklin and Feijao.
Pookie
4/7/12 9:13:43PM
He took down Shogun as well.

I believe Feijao was the last guy where his wrestling stood out though.
Bubbles
4/8/12 12:13:07AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

This will be a big mistake.

Hendo shouldn't get a title shot at HW or MW, where he hasn't even been fighting over someone like Mir, Hunt or even Cain.

sounds like a Belfort title shot to me. Either way, if Hendo does get this and pulls out a win, he is by far, undoubtedly, the p4p king and greatest fighter ever.
Manak
4/8/12 1:16:42AM
I wonder if now, dana will see way they need to do out of competition testing, 1st he said its too much of a pain, but now look wut a failed test caused, when this could have caught or prevented months ago..... But shit y not hendo. It would make him a even bigger legend
Pages: [1] 2