UFC 144 video: Quinton Jackson explains missing weight, warns he'll smack Rich Franklin; Ryan Bader reacts

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 144 video: Quinton Jackson explains missing weight, warns he'll smack Rich Franklin; Ryan Bader reacts
DoTheMMAth
2/25/12 12:13:36PM
LINK

Rich Franklin better watch his mouth before I smack him the next time I see him. He's a fighter just like I'm a fighter. He should watch what he say. He don't question whether a fighter is taking a fight serious or not. I take all my fights serious.
grappler0000
2/25/12 12:41:00PM
I'm a longtime Quinton fan, but threatening everyone that doesn't praise him is getting old. It was Joe Rogan the other day. And it wasn't very long ago that Ariel was in the hot seat for who knows what. I thought he had thicker skin than that. Who knows...maybe he's still just grumpy from the cut.
airkerma
2/25/12 1:04:32PM
Win or lose: Rampage vs Franklin
Poor_Franklin
2/25/12 1:08:39PM

Posted by airkerma

agreed
FastKnockout
2/25/12 1:18:03PM
There was no need for Rampage to lash out at Franklin. I was watching Fuel TV when Franklin said it and he honestly meant no disrespect toward Rampage, he just said what everyone else has been thinking these past few years when asked about Rampage not making weight.
sparky
2/25/12 2:05:16PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by airkerma

agreed

Would love to see that
hashyandy4
2/25/12 2:13:40PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by airkerma

agreed

LUV IT
scoozna
2/25/12 2:26:55PM
Rampage does seem like he's getting more sensitive. Maybe he always was a bit sensitive. I think the public shaming that happens around missing weight has a positive effect though. It must not become a circus. A little pressure from your peers to make weight is a good thing IMHO.
isk
2/25/12 2:34:07PM
That's the thing - it's the natural question, and I can't recall a time when Franklin has been disrespectful in reference to any other fighter (or any other human being, really). It's the correct question to ask, and I wouldn't be surprised if Rampage makes up with Franklin afterwards (especially after a fight).

As for the actual possible matchup, I'd favor Rampage slightly. I love Franklin, he's one of my favorites, but he's had issues against strong counter-punchers his whole career. I don't count Liddell in there because, no disrespect, but we know where Liddell was at that point in his career. Rich is a lot tougher than most give him credit for - this is just a facet of his game I'd look into exposing if I was in Rampage's camp.

Unless Bader shows us something new tonight about Rampage's chin, Rampage can take an absolute beating before he'll get KOed, and I think his defensive wrestling is more than sufficient to handle the remote possibility that Franklin goes for a takedown.

And we know what Rampage can lose to - abusive leg kicks, suffocating top control, or a murderous Thai clinch (which to his credit he's become much stronger in the clinch himself). Franklin's best chances are in a decision where he can stick and move, landing effective leg kicks and body kicks while avoiding Rampage's lunging counters, along with never ever ever ever getting into a standing boxing match. I feel Rampage's parrying is among the best in MMA when he gets a guy who'll plant his feet just like he does, and we know he hits like an audit.
Franklinfan47
2/25/12 3:16:23PM
Rampage pissed he missed weight, taking it out on Franklin.

Its not his fault you hired Anthony Johnson as your nutritionist!
Poor_Franklin
2/25/12 3:45:02PM
Bader gets 20% of Rampage's purse?

isnt that more than Bader wouldve made to fight & win?

prophecy033
2/25/12 3:46:05PM
Franklin has paid his dues and I feel he has the right to say what he did. He's not some random dude in a suit, he's a guy that knows what it takes to make weight, a guy who knows about dedication to the sport. Rampage just needs to worry about himself and his gut and take care of business.
Aether
2/25/12 5:09:13PM
Wow he is so dramatically over-emotional about everything. Rampage needs to grow up.
BeeR
2/25/12 6:16:43PM
Franklin UD
P4P-Bettor
2/25/12 6:38:34PM
Rampage loses to Bader and retires.
bjj1605
2/25/12 6:39:16PM

Posted by Aether

Wow he is so dramatically over-emotional about everything. Rampage needs to grow up.

For the longest time, I really disliked Rampage. Something about his persona in pride always got on my nerves.

When he did the ultimate fighter, he started to grow on me. I found him funny and down to earth.

I think I'll switch back to disliking him now. Between bashing Rogan, missing weight, and lashing out at Franklin....he seems more like the guy I thought he was in the first place.
SmileR
2/25/12 6:44:13PM
In Rampages defence Arial didn't convey how diplomatic Franklin was. But thats his job I guess. Rampage has been bitchin a lot lately but who cares?! He was right about Rogan and the way Franklins comments were reported to him he had the right be be defensive.
tmas
2/25/12 7:13:36PM

Posted by SmileR

In Rampages defence Arial didn't convey how diplomatic Franklin was. But thats his job I guess. Rampage has been bitchin a lot lately but who cares?! He was right about Rogan and the way Franklins comments were reported to him he had the right be be defensive.

this
tallica62
2/25/12 8:51:45PM
kitten mittens
isk
2/26/12 7:06:06AM
So while this talk about Franklin vs Rampage is certainly interesting, I saw what I feel is an even better matchup following the card last night - Shogun vs Rampage. Both are coming off losses, both aren't looking incredibly hot right now but would still create a compelling matchup, and whichever opponent Rampage fights next needs to be one that'll motivate him to his best. Regardless of the injury during this past camp, he wasn't super fired up vs Bader and it showed in the match. Get him angry and he'll put on a hell of a fight.

My only concern is if Shogun gets pounded on, because that'd be 3 fights in 4 outings in which he gets beat on profusely. At that point, I think his safety would be a real question.
Bubbles
2/26/12 5:45:58PM
Shogun isnt looking too hot right now? I take it you didnt watch his last 2 fights
isk
2/27/12 1:05:14AM
I did. Here's why I said what I said.

The KO of Forrest was really nice, but it's not something we haven't seen from him before. In fact, it was basically a mirror of the Liddell fight. Forrest himself hasn't looked too great lately, and between that plus comments made by Dana, it seems like Forrest is actually less interested in fighting than Rampage. He's got his kid now, he made some good money writing his books so he may prefer to take what he's got and call it there. So while Shogun knocking out Forrest was a great moment at the time - it happened in Brazil, it occurred after his brutal loss to Bones - it wasn't this ridiculous moment that made me think he's ready for another title shot.

The Henderson fight showed what many of us already knew, that Shogun's got crazy heart and durability but his cardio's still dodgy following his knee surgeries. I mean, it was a singular moment to see him come back and try to finish Hendo, but let's be honest - there was nothing behind his punches in rounds 3-5. The threat of him finishing an already exhausted but equally tough Hendo was minimal, and I can't help but think this fight was not great for both of their long-term health situations.

So I don't mean to fighter bash here, I love Shogun as a fighter and love seeing him on cards, but I think he may still be having to adjust his training routine following that knee surgery before the Bones fight. Lest we forget, his cardio was ridiculous around the Machida fights, and while it wasn't needed for the 2nd fight, it was still there. So to that end, I think a Rampage/Shogun fight makes sense - it gets them both excited for the fight, it gets the old school fans excited for a Pride rematch, and it's a rational matchup given their latest performances.
baylee
2/27/12 7:52:44PM
Rampage has been an actor for a few years now.
Boo_Radley21
2/28/12 2:42:43AM
I was always a fan of Rampage until he was on the Ultimate Fighter with Rashad. Against Forrest he was alright but after that he just became a huge joke tome. And this missing weight is unacceptable at any time. Rampage I have no respect for you anymore, can't wait until your next fight when we here about the pride Rampage coming back and see the same boxer who comes in and waits for big shots yet rarely gets them. when was the last time he had someone genuinely hurt other than his KO over Wandy?