UFC 143 winner Barao wants title shot; boss says contender becoming Brazilian treasure

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 143 winner Barao wants title shot; boss says contender becoming Brazilian treasure
Kpro
2/5/12 10:11:36AM
The Ultimate Fighting Championship's own media notes on Brazilian bantamweight Renan Barao (28-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) sum it up nicely: "Has best record, on paper, in all of MMA."

On Saturday night, Barao earned his 28th-straight win by downing onetime title-challenger Scott Jorgensen via unanimous decision.

The 24-year-old is now 5-0 under the Zuffa banner, and while UFC president Dana White isn't ready to grant him a title shot just yet, he admits the Nova Uniao product is quickly becoming one of Brazil's most popular fighters.

"He's got an incredible streak going," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "He's the buzz right now in Brazil. Everybody's buzzing about that guy. We'll see what happens."

Barao, of course, famously dropped his first fight as a professional and has since earned 28-straight wins. He debuted for Zuffa with a pair of WEC wins and now has three-straight UFC victories under his belt. He's a consensus top-10 bantamweight according to MMA pundits, and the win over Jorgensen only serves to reinforce that assessment. Yet with just two main-card appearances to date, he has yet to really resonate among casual MMA fans.

LINK
emfleek
2/5/12 10:39:20AM
BARAO!

Budgellism
2/5/12 11:55:43AM

Posted by emfleek

BARAO!

FastKnockout
2/5/12 12:25:04PM
lohmann
2/5/12 12:50:05PM
Would love to see him main event in Brazil!

Considering the lack of fighters in the division, at most he's three victories away from getting that shot.
Bubbles
2/5/12 12:58:16PM

Posted by lohmann

Considering the lack of fighters in the division, at most he's three victories away from getting that shot.

at most he is 1 win away. that post is a little contradictory...how can a top 10 be so far away when there is a lack of fighters?
DrivenDavies15
2/5/12 1:04:31PM
If he is not next in line, which I think he should be, He should get the Mcdonald-Torres winner for #1 contender
Poor_Franklin
2/5/12 4:08:10PM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

If he is not next in line, which I think he should be, He should get the Mcdonald-Torres winner for #1 contender

yuuuuuup
prozacnation1978
2/5/12 8:38:26PM
I would not be suprised if he fights next in June Brazil.
lohmann
2/5/12 10:32:52PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by lohmann

at most he is 1 win away. that post is a little contradictory...how can a top 10 be so far away when there is a lack of fighters?

Because he's only had three fights in the UFC. Getting a title shot with less than seven fights in the UFC is an oddity.

I say three fully expecting him to be one or two fights away. Probably somebody in Brazil; the winner of McDonald-Torres seems the likeliest candidate. And after that, we'll see how his schedule lines up with whatever is going on with Faber or Cruz.
tcunningham
2/5/12 11:02:37PM
he needs to fight torres or somebody like that first. plus, i thing uriah would dismantle him, just because he trains with aldo doesnt mean he's the shit. im not saying he's not good, i just want to see a few more fights for him. theres a lack of fighters in the bantamweight div. so maybe the title shot will come sooner than i want.
bjj1605
2/6/12 2:56:52PM

Posted by tcunningham

he needs to fight torres or somebody like that first. plus, i thing uriah would dismantle him, just because he trains with aldo doesnt mean he's the shit. im not saying he's not good, i just want to see a few more fights for him. theres a lack of fighters in the bantamweight div. so maybe the title shot will come sooner than i want.

Faber wouldn't be able to take him down anymore than Jorgensen could or any more than Faber was able to takedown Aldo.

He'd get lit up on the feet.