UFC 142 weigh-in results -nearly all make weight, Rumble weighs in at 197 for MW fight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 142 weigh-in results -nearly all make weight, Rumble weighs in at 197 for MW fight
Next Page »
isk
1/13/12 4:33:52PM
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

Champ Jose Aldo (145) vs. Chad Mendes (144)
Vitor Belfort (186) vs. Anthony Johnson (197)*
Mike Massenzio (184) vs. Rousimar Palhares (186)
Carlo Prater (170) vs. Erick Silva (169)
Edson Barboza (154) vs. Terry Etim (155)

PRELIMINARY CARD (FX)

Sam Stout (155) vs. Thiago Tavares (155)
Gabriel Gonzaga (250) vs. Ednaldo Oliveira (229)
Yuri Alcantara (145) vs. Michihiro Omigawa (146)
Ricardo Funch (170) vs. Mike Pyle (171)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)

Felipe Arantes (145) vs. Antonio "Pato" Carvalho (144)

Johnson has been fined 20 percent of his purse as a fine, and it's been awarded to Belfort. Additionally, Johnson can weigh no more than 205 pounds for tomorrow's fight to go on as planned.

Source
FastKnockout
1/13/12 4:36:32PM
So he won't have to cut down to 185, just can't weight over 205? Rumble still might hold the advantage.
Kpro
1/13/12 4:37:58PM
motion for a 24 hour Rumble fighter bashing window
Kpro
1/13/12 4:43:21PM
Vitor said if Rumble is over 205 at 2pm tomorrow, he will not accept the fight.
isk
1/13/12 4:44:50PM

Posted by FastKnockout

So he won't have to cut down to 185, just can't weight over 205? Rumble still might hold the advantage.

Correct. Pretty much any doctor would not let him even try to cut 12 pounds after he's already made a cut attempt. He just can't be an entire division above.

What I'm so surprised by is not only that this is obviously a much better cut for Rumble than 170, it's that his pre-weigh-in comments reflected his awareness of this.

Not trying to bash here, just stating facts - something different has to happen next time. Hooking up with Mike Dolce, finally making the leap to 205.
Poor_Franklin
1/13/12 4:55:09PM
Rumble = Disrespectful
Rabi
1/13/12 4:57:15PM
I think its disgusting to be 12lbs over weight! I think Belfort should be awarded his salary and Johnson's, the fight should be cancelled and Johnson either moves up to 205 or is sacked from the UFC! Has he even tried to make weight?
Kpro
1/13/12 4:59:36PM
There needs to be stiffer penalties than 20% of your purse and no consideration for OTN bonuses. Someone could come in 19 pounds over and that'ls their only punishment, and the size difference will be what it is, a LHW fighting a MW.
Poor_Franklin
1/13/12 5:01:18PM

Posted by Kpro

There needs to be stiffer penalties than 20% of your purse and no consideration for OTN bonuses. Someone could come in 19 pounds over and that'ls their only punishment, and the size difference will be what it is, a LHW fighting a MW.

what rumble did is bullshit. he will not win any fans this way. i hope he gets KTFO in embarassing fashion
isk
1/13/12 5:01:28PM
I'm really concerned for Vitor here. He's had difficulty against lanky, powerful strikers with greater range than him, like Overeem and (more recently) Anderson. Rumble's got a clear reach and crazy weight advantage, and Vitor's rarely been the type to outlast the bigger fighter.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dana slaps Rumble, hard, regardless of the outcome.
Poor_Franklin
1/13/12 5:03:21PM
KPro mentioned taking Rumble's purse & making him fight for his job.

i think he should have to fight w/ special rules

1. if rumble gets a TD, the fight is stood up immediately
Rabi
1/13/12 5:05:16PM
Special rules isn't MMA! I think the fight should be cancelled with Belfort still getting paid!
grappler0000
1/13/12 5:05:54PM

Posted by Kpro

Yes, I agree. Vitor has the right to turn down the fight, but that's really a double edged sword. He's really put in an awkward position...either fight someone who's much larger than him or do harm to the company that signs his check. Not to mention the fans that paid to see him. I'd really like to see a ceiling on the missed weight allowance...and perhaps a scaled fine. I think 20% up to 3 pounds would work and then 5% per pound there after.
Kpro
1/13/12 5:06:53PM
So much for Rumble looking to make a quick rise up the MW ranks to fight Silva. This won't even count as a MW bout.
grappler0000
1/13/12 5:07:18PM

Posted by Rabi

Special rules isn't MMA! I think the fight should be cancelled with Belfort still getting paid!

I'd agree, but Vitor is the biggest name on the card. That'd be a tough pill to swallow if I dished out for tickets.
Kpro
1/13/12 5:07:49PM
If I had to have a fighter miss weight against me, it'd be Tito not Rumble. Give me that 20%.

I bet Vitor gets his win bonus win or lose.
isk
1/13/12 5:09:24PM
Fighting's a tough business in which to make a living, so I have some measure of sympathy even with Rumble missing weight so egregiously. I think whatever happens, Vitor should get the win bonus along with the 20% of the purse transfer from Rumble.
grappler0000
1/13/12 5:10:13PM

Posted by Kpro

If I had to have a fighter miss weight against me, it'd be Tito not Rumble. Give me that 20%.

Haha, some guys would double or triple their paycheck that way alone.
Kpro
1/13/12 5:17:51PM
Even considering he makes 204 or below at 2pm tomorrow, he'll still have 9 hours from then until he fights to hydrate and still could easily be 215+

Very poor sportsmanship.
Kpro
1/13/12 5:19:52PM
If you miss MW by 12 pounds, and WW by 6 pounds, logically you'd be right on weight at LW. Time to move down.
Twenty20Dollars
1/13/12 5:24:43PM
All I know is, my avatar bet better be invalid if Rumble wins.
Chael_Sonnen
1/13/12 5:25:21PM
War Rumble!
Kpro
1/13/12 5:30:03PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

War Rumble!

Considering Filho missing weight against Chael cost him his chance to hold WEC gold and he was incredibly outspoken against unprofessional fighters missing weight, that surprises me.

You broke character!
State_Champ
1/13/12 6:19:17PM

Posted by Kpro

motion for a 24 hour Rumble fighter bashing window

FastKnockout
1/13/12 6:21:26PM
Just give Belfort his purse and cancel the fight. I won't judge Johnson until after the fight, where I'm sure more information on the issue will come to light. I just don't see Johnson coming in 12 pounds over just for the hell of it. Someone here mentioned he may have an injury, and it's a real possibility. In his recent video blog's he keeps mentioning he loves training for middleweight and everything was perfect.

Weight cutting will always be an issue, though. Johnson isn't the only fighter to have issues, and we have to remember this is his first try at middleweight. He might decide later to move up to Light Heavyweight. We don't know what exactly is going on behind the scenes.

EDIT: Then again, I'm probably biased.

mrsmiley
1/13/12 6:24:00PM
. Hata's

Not work safe.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
FastKnockout
1/13/12 6:26:32PM
Now that I think about it.. Didn't Belfort fight at catchweight fight against Rich Franklin at 195? Just make another catchweight fight.
Kpro
1/13/12 6:30:14PM

Posted by mrsmiley

. Hata's

Not work safe.

LOL at his post-fight comment after making 171 against Hardy:

“I made weight so all u f***** haterz can eat a mutha f***** dick. Never doubt ME!!!

At least he comes off as a really nice guy. Probably spends all his free time at charity events and feeding the homeless.
Poor_Franklin
1/13/12 6:35:07PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by mrsmiley

. Hata's

Not work safe.

LOL at his post-fight comment after making 171 against Hardy:

“I made weight so all u f***** haterz can eat a mutha f***** dick. Never doubt ME!!!

At least he comes off as a really nice guy. Probably spends all his free time at charity events and feeding the homeless.

maybe this time he'll eat his own.....nah he can't be that hungry at 197
prophecy033
1/13/12 6:41:58PM
Ok, so apparently Rumble had a medical issue that required him to take fluids and that's what prevented him from making weight. I guess he's gonna weigh in tomorrow at 205
Pages: [1] 2