UFC 139 5 Round Non Title Main Event Between Dan Henderson And “Shogun” Rua

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 139 5 Round Non Title Main Event Between Dan Henderson And “Shogun” Rua
Manak
9/28/11 10:26:50AM
grappler0000
9/28/11 11:06:00AM
Almost forgot about the new 5-rounders.
prozacnation1978
9/28/11 11:06:23AM
May just go 5 rounds
Still can't believe these two never fought in pride
Boo_Radley21
9/28/11 11:20:49AM
Nice, love it. It's not like it's gonna go five rounds but there's always the chance...and this fight is going to be awesome
kopower
9/28/11 11:45:36AM
Happy to hear that
armbar66j7
9/28/11 1:07:33PM
this fight is gonna be off the hook, and it seems like hendos just getting better with age-(randy couture syndrome), should be an awesome fight, especially with the 5 round stipulations now for main events, but hendos stand up is pretty one dimensional compared to shoguns varied attack, but then again, hendos got a much better chin than shogun, so id give the advantage to hendo cuz he can take shogun down, but i think hell stand with him
The_Casualty
9/28/11 2:04:33PM
I don't like the idea of the 5 round non title fight, with 7 champions they should be able to put a title on every ppv
Manak
9/28/11 2:10:17PM

Posted by The_Casualty

I don't like the idea of the 5 round non title fight, with 7 champions they should be able to put a title on every ppv

No 1 contender fights should be 5-rounders as well as any badass match-ups
mrsmiley
9/28/11 3:00:17PM
This fight is going to be great.
What's the height difference between these two? I'm thinking Shogun is a lot taller but I could be completly wrong about that.
Tough one to call as well. I'm slightly leaning towards Hendo to grind out a decision but honestly I don't think anyone can make a bad call for this fight.
My only gripe with Shogun is (and I understand injuries have a big part to play into this with Shogun) that their seems to be a lack of consistancy in his fights almost simuliar to Belfort. You never know which Shogun is going into the cage.
ghandikush
9/28/11 3:20:54PM

Posted by armbar66j7

this fight is gonna be off the hook, and it seems like hendos just getting better with age-(randy couture syndrome), should be an awesome fight, especially with the 5 round stipulations now for main events, but hendos stand up is pretty one dimensional compared to shoguns varied attack, but then again, hendos got a much better chin than shogun, so id give the advantage to hendo cuz he can take shogun down, but i think hell stand with him

No, Hendo LOOKS better with age as he begins to rely on one dimensional power shots-(Fedor Emelienenko syndrome)

And as for 5 round fights, hell yes non titles should be 5 rounds. Saying there are 7 champs doesnt mean shit when champions regularly sit out 9 months to a year for injuries, Shogun, Cain, GSP, Anderson, Brock, etc
Sir_Karl
9/28/11 3:34:51PM
This is going to be a great fight. I am not sure why it should be 5 rounds though. I don't necessarily agree with the main event non title fights being 5 rounds. They have yet to do it and I am curious how consistent the UFC will be with it anyhow. I think Hendo has this one though. I think he will be able to withstand Rua's attacks and I don't think Rua will able to handle Hendo's punches. I see Rua going down in round 2 or round 3. It should be an exciting fight either way.
Budgellism
9/28/11 3:40:31PM
So fucking epic.
prophecy033
9/28/11 3:46:37PM

Posted by The_Casualty

they would if I weren't for injuries. I love the idea of 5 round non title fights. How many times have you watched a fight and wished you had 2 more rounds. I wish we had 2 mote when Chuck and Wanderlei fought and Griffin v Bonnar 1. Who wouldn't have wanted to see 5 rounds of rock em sock em robots between those 2
machodog76
9/28/11 4:07:34PM
I've got mixed feelings on the idea of not title fights being 5 rounds. Sure it's cool too see more of a great fight , but I think you will see more injuries to #1 contenders and as a result guys that should be fighting for the title will be on the shelf, while the #2 and #3 guys will leap frog into title fights sooner than they should. That being said I will not be complaining about this fight at all!
Poor_Franklin
9/28/11 4:23:18PM
any fight involving 2 former champions should be 5 rounds, main event or not
baylee
9/28/11 6:05:36PM
I am going to go with Hendo by UD.
sbulldavid
9/28/11 11:45:19PM
Better with age, better with the same stuff you guys tried to blackball Sonnen for.
KungFuMaster
9/29/11 12:17:57AM
My hunches say it will not take 5 rounds. Both have knock out powers but if neither lands it in rounds 1 or 2, Dan will likely get a tko in the late rounds.
Travesty145
9/29/11 1:03:37AM
ive got my money on rua finishing him within the first 2 anyways. never been too high on hendo. not really a hundred percent sure why though
Adrenaline
9/29/11 1:12:42AM

Posted by mrsmiley

This fight is going to be great.
What's the height difference between these two? I'm thinking Shogun is a lot taller but I could be completly wrong about that.
Tough one to call as well. I'm slightly leaning towards Hendo to grind out a decision but honestly I don't think anyone can make a bad call for this fight.
My only gripe with Shogun is (and I understand injuries have a big part to play into this with Shogun) that their seems to be a lack of consistancy in his fights almost simuliar to Belfort. You never know which Shogun is going into the cage.

If you were still wondering:

Both Dan and Shogun are listed as being 6' 1" on the UFC roster and Fight Finder.

I see where you are coming from though, 6'1" seems a bit generous for Hendo but its hard to say.

Shawn91111
9/29/11 10:49:19AM
Hendo says he is 5'10
KungFuMaster
9/29/11 12:08:45PM
This height issue bothers me especially when I am making picks between fighters I know nothing about.... I can understand smaller organizations making mistakes about the height of their fighters but it should be unacceptable in the ufc. The ufc prides itself by being the world's largest and most prestige organization and yet the height measurements the org have put out within the last few years are ridiculous.

Carwin was listed as 6'5" and there were a few highly exaggerated measurements as well which I cannot recall.
kingsmasher
9/29/11 1:45:42PM
IM not down with 5 round fights for main event title or not...

What I am down for is "2 Men enter one Man Leaves"!!!!!!!!!!!
Bubbles
9/30/11 2:12:21PM

Posted by The_Casualty

and then you have those like Anderson and Bones who baby injuries to avoid fighting
emfleek
9/30/11 2:18:48PM

Posted by Bubbles

and then you have those like Anderson and Bones who baby injuries to avoid fighting

So fighting 3 times in a year isn't enough for you?
Pookie
9/30/11 4:26:44PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Better with age, better with the same stuff you guys tried to blackball Sonnen for.

Yeah, but Sonnen lied about it, and tested beyond the levels permitted. Dan hasn't ever done either.
Pookie
9/30/11 4:27:46PM
This will be the most exciting match of the year for me.
Bubbles
9/30/11 9:53:03PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by The_Casualty

they would if I weren't for injuries. I love the idea of 5 round non title fights. How many times have you watched a fight and wished you had 2 more rounds. I wish we had 2 mote when Chuck and Wanderlei fought and Griffin v Bonnar 1. Who wouldn't have wanted to see 5 rounds of rock em sock em robots between those 2

2 more rounds of Bonnar/Griffin 1 would have looked as bad as Rothwell did in the 2nd half of his fight last week