UFC 137: B.J. Penn Will Go Five Rounds if Paid by UFC or Cesar Gracie

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 137: B.J. Penn Will Go Five Rounds if Paid by UFC or Cesar Gracie
FastKnockout
10/20/11 2:59:55PM
With the injury to Georges St. Pierre forcing B.J. Penn and Nick Diaz into the main event slot at UFC 137, there was some curiosity from fans wondering if Penn vs. Diaz would now be a five round fight. UFC president Dana White was quick to say that the fight would remain a three rounder.

For me, that was a shame. In my mind one of the UFC's most accomplished champions and the current Strikeforce champion should not be fighting a three round fight.

Diaz's manager, Cesar Gracie, was quick to start goading Penn into turning it into a five rounder. This was a smart move on his part as the one place where Diaz has the edge is in his endurance.

Penn has now responded, and he's open to the late notice change. But he wants to get paid for it (via MMA Weekly):

"I want to be compensated accordingly and that's it. I'm more than willing to do a five-round fight," Penn told MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday. "If Dana wants a five-round fight, just give me a call and we can put it together right now.

"Or if Cesar wants to make it a five-round fight and he wants to compensate me personally, he can put his money where his mouth is, it's that easy. I've been training to fight. I'm ready to fight."

LINK
FastKnockout
10/20/11 3:07:31PM
Can't blame him. More rounds, more $$$.
ghandikush
10/20/11 3:22:04PM
It only gonna go 1-3 anyway since either fighter will probably make a hasty knockout.
KungFuMaster
10/20/11 3:59:14PM
First of all, I cannot believe Penn is willing to take the challenge - I will give him props for that even-though I think it is foolish. And secondly, asking for more money is definitely the right thing to do...

Penn has a lot of fan base as he continually proves to be a good draw for PPVs and it is my opinion he has not been paid accordingly. He is one of the higher paid fighters but I think he is still making less than Tito who is no longer relevant to the sport.
postman
10/20/11 4:31:21PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

First of all, I cannot believe Penn is willing to take the challenge - I will give him props for that even-though I think it is foolish. And secondly, asking for more money is definitely the right thing to do...

Penn has a lot of fan base as he continually proves to be a good draw for PPVs and it is my opinion he has not been paid accordingly. He is one of the higher paid fighters but I think he is still making less than Tito who is no longer relevant to the sport.

Relevance has nothing to do with compensation. Draw and star power is the name of the game. That being said bj draws very well.
airkerma
10/20/11 5:23:16PM

Posted by postman

Posted by KungFuMaster

Relevance has nothing to do with compensation. Draw and star power is the name of the game. That being said bj draws very well.

I call Shenanigans on this. You mean to tell me that James Toney was never relevant in the UFC!?!?
ghandikush
10/20/11 5:34:04PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by postman

Posted by KungFuMaster

I call Shenanigans on this. You mean to tell me that James Toney was never relevant in the UFC!?!?

James Toney was paid more to be a hit at boxing than for hi drawing power imo, even as a spectacle.
Pookie
10/20/11 5:37:38PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by airkerma

Posted by postman

Posted by KungFuMaster

James Toney was paid more to be a hit at boxing than for hi drawing power imo, even as a spectacle.

I disagree. James toney was paid entirely for the interest and drawing power a Box v. MMA fight could make. Especially considering that Toney made the real push to make the fight happen, i don't think it's fair to say the fight was made to be a hit at boxing.
State_Champ
10/20/11 5:41:59PM

Posted by ghandikush

It only gonna go 1-3 anyway since either fighter will probably make a hasty knockout.

Both these guys are nearly impossible to (T)KO.
I have trouble imagining this fight ending by any means other than decision.

ghandikush
10/20/11 6:24:37PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by ghandikush

They havent fought eachother. BJ has never has a really rangy opponent with excellent combinations and nonstop aggression to both body and head from outside his jabbing range.

Diaz has never fought a trully talented boxer who can and will most likely put him out with superior timing and professional level hands.

BJ wont lose from lack of chin, it is an anvil, he will lose from gassing and nonstop drimming to body and head, that is what Diaz can do. Diaz i very good at avoiding being hurt on the ground but BJ will hurt him bad if he connects with the bad situations Diaz puts his chin in while standing, and neither one is any danger to the others JJ so BJ wont have the intimidation fact to chase Diaz to the ground for a tko.

That being said, Diaz COULD win a decision because of his range, but I think TKO is most likely in under 3.
Chael_Sonnen
10/20/11 6:33:35PM
Beej won't need 5 rounds to finish Nick.....RADIO EDIT, Beej won't need 3 rounds.
tmas
10/21/11 9:58:01AM
i have inside information that BJ is in great shape thie move to 170 has really improved his work ethic and cardio. He is going all out
State_Champ
10/21/11 10:16:56AM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by ghandikush

They havent fought eachother. BJ has never has a really rangy opponent with excellent combinations and nonstop aggression to both body and head from outside his jabbing range.

Diaz has never fought a trully talented boxer who can and will most likely put him out with superior timing and professional level hands.

BJ wont lose from lack of chin, it is an anvil, he will lose from gassing and nonstop drimming to body and head, that is what Diaz can do. Diaz i very good at avoiding being hurt on the ground but BJ will hurt him bad if he connects with the bad situations Diaz puts his chin in while standing, and neither one is any danger to the others JJ so BJ wont have the intimidation fact to chase Diaz to the ground for a tko.

That being said, Diaz COULD win a decision because of his range, but I think TKO is most likely in under 3.

Diaz fought KJ Noons. I thought Noons had decent hands.
Still, I see your point.

I am confused though... you write some things which seem contradictory to me.

"Diaz has never fought a trully talented boxer who can and will most likely put him out with superior timing and professional level hands."
So you're predicting BJ will win?

"That being said, Diaz COULD win a decision because of his range, but I think TKO is most likely in under 3."
So you're predicting Diaz will win? Or is this a reiteration of your prediction that BJ will "most likely put him out with professional level hands."

WHICH IS IT!?!?!?!?!

kingsmasher
10/21/11 11:23:00AM
I see BJ connecting at some point in teh second which will stun Diaz and BJ then going for the finishing submission...Diaz hasnt fought anyone compared to BJ....I think Frankie Edgar would beat Diaz...His boxing is way over rated...
State_Champ
10/21/11 11:40:43AM
Historically, Diaz bleeds easily.
A cut could end this?

And let's not forget, Daley had Diaz hurt.

grappler0000
10/21/11 1:17:30PM

Posted by postman

Posted by KungFuMaster

More importantly, BJ gets a PPV cut, while Tito does not any longer...which doesn't get reported. BJ actually gets paid much more than Tito does.
ruyen
10/21/11 2:41:50PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by ghandikush

Still, I see your point.

"Diaz has never fought a trully talented boxer who can and will most likely put him out with superior timing and professional level hands."

"That being said, Diaz COULD win a decision because of his range, but I think TKO is most likely in under 3."
So you're predicting Diaz will win? Or is this a reiteration of your prediction that BJ will "most likely put him out with professional level hands."

WHICH IS IT!?!?!?!?!

He's analyzing the fight, not making a pick.
State_Champ
10/21/11 3:24:27PM

Posted by ruyen

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by ghandikush

Still, I see your point.

WHICH IS IT!?!?!?!?!

He's analyzing the fight, not making a pick.

Oh.
I should have known.
Who would predict that a fight would end in the manner they said it would "most likely" end?
I'm just so stupid sometimes....
ghandikush
10/21/11 4:40:23PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by ghandikush

Still, I see your point.

WHICH IS IT!?!?!?!?!

Diaz or BJ will likely end tthi fight by knockout. BJ likely in the first or second, which I have a knockout round 1 after timing Diaz. Diaz however, has excellent range which if he uses to keep BJ out will end the fight most likely because of all the constant debilitation from the combos that never seem to end. BJ cant win by knockout if he cant reach diaz, and if he cant land he cant ue cover fire to keep Diaz off.

A fatigued fighter will get knocked out, just ask Brian Stann about his second fight with Cantwell.
State_Champ
10/21/11 5:00:14PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by ghandikush

Still, I see your point.

WHICH IS IT!?!?!?!?!

Diaz or BJ will likely end tthi fight by knockout. BJ likely in the first or second, which I have a knockout round 1 after timing Diaz. Diaz however, has excellent range which if he uses to keep BJ out will end the fight most likely because of all the constant debilitation from the combos that never seem to end. BJ cant win by knockout if he cant reach diaz, and if he cant land he cant ue cover fire to keep Diaz off.

A fatigued fighter will get knocked out, just ask Brian Stann about his second fight with Cantwell.

Nice response.
I'd Props, but I gotta spread the love.
Bubbles
10/23/11 5:43:49PM

Posted by ghandikush

what if i ask Rothwell about his fight with Hunt?
KungFuMaster
10/23/11 6:19:05PM
The perfect examples are Fujita vs Thompson and Minowa vs Baroni. In each case, the dominant fighter eventually gassed and got knocked out.