UFC 137's Cheick Kongo aiming for rematch with 'lucky' champ Cain Velasquez

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 137's Cheick Kongo aiming for rematch with 'lucky' champ Cain Velasquez
Budgellism
10/30/11 12:25:12PM
Slow and steady wins the race, though fighting ugly does little to win fans.

Cheick Kongo knows Saturday's UFC 137 co-main-event win over Matt Mitrione wasn't a signature or highlight-reel win that dazzled fans, but it served its purpose.

It got him one step closer to a rematch with champ Cain Velasquez, whom Kongo said was "lucky" in their first meeting.

Kongo (17-6-2 MMA, 10-4-1 UFC) earned a unanimous-decision victory over the previously unbeaten Mitrione (5-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) in the pay-per-view co-headliner of UFC 137, which took place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. An action-light first round was showered in boos, though Kongo picked up the pace for an effective third round that led to the victory.

"Most of the time, when I win a fight, I can say it was exciting," Kongo told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) after the event. "But I was kind of slow.

"I was expecting to exchange more than I did tonight. I wanted to see what he would do specifically. The last round, I just decided to go for it."

LINK
Budgellism
10/30/11 12:59:08PM
The kongo that fought the way he did last would be finished by Cain. He didn't start fighting until the 3rd round after back peddling his way through all of round 1 and most of round 2. If Mitrione had been more aggressive he would have won that fight. It's not enough to just walk with your opponent, you've gotta do something to make it seem like Kongo is backing away for a reason.

Kongo vs. Nelson, let's see it.
FastKnockout
10/30/11 1:09:14PM
"Lucky" champ? Yeah okay, Kongo. If there's any sign of luck in MMA, it's his knockout of Pat Barry.
ncordless
10/30/11 1:21:35PM
Pfft.
prophecy033
10/30/11 3:50:32PM

Posted by FastKnockout

"Lucky" champ? Yeah okay, Kongo. If there's any sign of luck in MMA, it's his knockout of Pat Barry.

completely. Kongo's weakness is Cain's Strength. The ground. And that's where Cain would take it for the win this time around.
hashyandy4
10/30/11 4:01:56PM

Posted by Budgellism

The kongo that fought the way he did last would be finished by Cain. He didn't start fighting until the 3rd round after back peddling his way through all of round 1 and most of round 2. If Mitrione had been more aggressive he would have won that fight. It's not enough to just walk with your opponent, you've gotta do something to make it seem like Kongo is backing away for a reason.

Totally agree Budge, i want 2 see Nelson vs Kongo. On The same note i would also like to see Mitrione vs Browne, but i doubt the UFC will make that fight
sbulldavid
10/30/11 4:13:18PM
Kongo is a great gatekeeper but he's gone crazy if he thinks he should be champ. Did he forgot how easily Mir demolished him or how he barely survived Barry. He doesn't take a shot or defend the takedown well enough to beat the elite often enough to be a champion.
Chael_Sonnen
10/30/11 5:30:20PM
Kongo has been hanging around Rampage too much

Cain would beat Kongo's arse 10/10 times.
tallica62
10/30/11 5:50:28PM
last nights kongo will get walloped by mr cain v.
KungFuMaster
10/30/11 5:59:47PM

Posted by Budgellism

I like to see this fight too. I think Nelson will bring out the best in Kongo. Nelson is aggressive and will more than likely press forward while attacking.
Bythar
10/30/11 6:52:13PM
As Frank Mir said, Kongo should have had Cain knocked out twice, and still lost every round.

It got him one step closer to a rematch with champ Cain Velasquez, whom Kongo said was "lucky" in their first meeting.

This statement is hilarious in every part.
Jride
10/30/11 7:42:25PM
Picking some up and ragdolling them around the octagon while landing 450 punches throughout the fight is lucky?

Just checking if that's case.
Sir_Karl
10/30/11 11:17:38PM
Kongo is the lucky one....for not getting laid out cold by Velasquez. If they fight again I don't think Kongo will be so lucky. Kongo is lucky he got by Mitrione.
FlashyG
10/30/11 11:21:12PM
Kongo is pretty nuts to think Cain was lucky but at this point he's put up a better fight against Cain than anyone else in the division.

I don't see a rematch going any better for him, but I'd give him a better shot than Lesnar.
tn_rebel
10/31/11 2:31:33AM

Posted by Budgellism

Cheick Kongo knows Saturday's UFC 137 co-main-event win over Matt Mitrione wasn't a signature or highlight-reel win that dazzled fans, but it served its purpose.

Kongo (17-6-2 MMA, 10-4-1 UFC) earned a unanimous-decision victory over the previously unbeaten Mitrione (5-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) in the pay-per-view co-headliner of UFC 137, which took place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. An action-light first round was showered in boos, though Kongo picked up the pace for an effective third round that led to the victory.

"Most of the time, when I win a fight, I can say it was exciting," Kongo told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) after the event. "But I was kind of slow.

"I was expecting to exchange more than I did tonight. I wanted to see what he would do specifically. The last round, I just decided to go for it."

LINK

i would take big country
scpd400
10/31/11 9:44:52AM
I don't ever see Kongo getting a rematch with Cain. The heavyweight division is stacked these days. I thought Kongo lost his fight. But don't leave it in the hands of the judges.
kingsmasher
10/31/11 11:15:28AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Budgellism

I like to see this fight too. I think Nelson will bring out the best in Kongo. Nelson is aggressive and will more than likely press forward while attacking.

Totally agree and would look like the Kongo Mir fight...Id like to see it thoguh to shut Kongo up...Is he crazy?
airkerma
10/31/11 2:24:33PM

Posted by tn_rebel

Posted by Budgellism

LINK

i would take big country

If this happened I would av bet with anyone who would take Big Country over Kongo. I see Kongo as too much man for Roy to handle and have sweet reach.
Bubbles
10/31/11 6:21:09PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Bubbles
10/31/11 6:29:16PM
yeah i guess Cain was lucky that Kongo's TDD is mediocre. he will stop every single shot in the rematch and since Cain hasnt improved his striking at all Kongo will win by KO.

tn_rebel
11/1/11 7:42:49AM
I dont think Cain got lucky, but I can see where Cheick is coming from. In their fight he nearly knocked Velasquez out at the beginning of all 3 rounds. If Kongo had decent take down defense I think he could have laid Cain out that fight. Like I said though I wouldn't call that lucky, but a good game plan and better ground skills.