After UFC 134 win, "Shogun" Rua possibly one win away from Jon Jones rematch

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » After UFC 134 win, "Shogun" Rua possibly one win away from Jon Jones rematch
FastKnockout
8/29/11 1:39:26PM
RIO DE JANEIRO – Former UFC light-heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua had much reason to celebrate his UFC 134 win over Forrest Griffin.

The victory served as revenge for a 2007 loss to Griffin and helped keep Rua relevant in the UFC's 205-pound title picture.

But Rua said the celebration will be only mild. Satisfaction will come only when current champ Jon Jones has been defeated.

LINK
FastKnockout
8/29/11 1:40:52PM
Hopefully it isn't Machida. I know technically they're 1-1 against each other, but I don't fancy a trilogy fight anytime soon.
Twenty20Dollars
8/29/11 1:46:13PM
I don't feel like seeing Shogun/Machida 3 anytime soon

Or even Shogun/Jones 2 anytime soon
Poor_Franklin
8/29/11 1:58:26PM
phil davis. davis is a bad matchup, but shogun should have to prove he can deal with size if he wants to prove he deserves a fight with bones any time soon
prophecy033
8/29/11 2:12:15PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I don't feel like seeing Shogun/Machida 3 anytime soon

Or even Shogun/Jones 2 anytime soon

I would have prop'd ya but I gotta spread the love. I really don't wanna see Jones v shogun 2, I don't see any other outcome arising other then the first fight all over again. Shogun v Machida 3 I do wanna see for the simple fact that I wanna see shogun beat him up for 3 round AND get the win
1daveufc
8/29/11 3:10:13PM
What about a fight with hendo that cud be good or davis
40ouncetpkid
8/29/11 3:12:22PM
I would think so if he faces Phil Davis, Rashad, or Rampage next if he lost to Jon Jones in september. But I think it might happen next if Rampage knocks him out like I hope!
prophecy033
8/29/11 3:25:16PM

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

I would think so if he faces Phil Davis, Rashad, or Rampage next if he lost to Jon Jones in september. But I think it might happen next if Rampage knocks him out like I hope!

I hope page ko's him as well, that's what my heart says, but my head says pick Jones. My head wins on a 68% clip while my hearts at about 15%. I'll pick Jones
prozacnation1978
8/29/11 4:00:10PM
Ufc should have hendo vs jones/page winner next
And shogun vs evans for a title shot later this year
Sir_Karl
8/29/11 6:12:48PM
Great....then we get to watch Bones beat him up again. Yawn. BORRRRRRING!
The_Casualty
8/29/11 6:23:58PM
They should have Shogun face Hendo that would be a sick fight and it would make sence for the winner of that to get the winner of Jones/ Jackson vs Evans
kingsmasher
8/29/11 7:51:43PM
After watching Shogun closely...um once again...Hes a lot like Fedor big right hand and thats it...If you clinch him and can wrestle and have good top control hes not much a threat...

Machida had him down but Machida doesnt have good top control..I would say if Phil davis or Even Bader used wrestling they beat Rua pretty easy...Especially if they control from top first round I think Rua has a short tank...

And him one shot then Jon Jones...Um he beat Forrest...Not anything special there...I would rather see Anderson Silva and Shogun....
KungFuMaster
8/29/11 10:45:01PM
I do not want to see Rua against Jones. IMO, on Rua's best day and Jones' worst day, Jones would still dominate Rua effortlessly. Remember, it is only my opinion.

Regarding Machida:
I would love to see the trilogy for two reasons.

1. The first fight was uneventful.

2. The second fight ended in a do or die situation in which Rua prevail because of his heavier hands. In that split second, the fight could have gone either way. The fight did not prove anything to me as to who was the better fighter. I would like the two to fight again and hopefully this time the fight lasts long enough for fans to formulate an accurate assessment of these two fighters.

For the record, I think Machida is the better fighter but was simply unfortunate in the second fight. It is also my belief Machida has the best chance against Jones at this time.

So no, I do not want to see Rua fight for the LHW title again unless it is held by someone other than Jones.
Bubbles
8/30/11 2:44:00PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

I hope page ko's him as well, that's what my heart says, but my head says pick Jones. My head wins on a 68% clip while my hearts at about 15%. I'll pick Jones

so what happens with the other 17% of the time?
Boo_Radley21
8/30/11 3:04:28PM
I don't see Rampage beating Jones so what I'd really like to see is a Rampage rematch for Shogun that would be sweeeeet. Rampage would win it this time around for sure
prophecy033
8/30/11 3:17:17PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

so what happens with the other 17% of the time?

it wasn't a 100% scale dude, when I pick a card using my head-68% right, when I pick a card with my heart-15% right. Are you following now?
BustedKnuckle
8/30/11 6:36:16PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Ufc should have hendo vs jones/page winner next
And shogun vs evans for a title shot later this year

I really like this train of thought. But what if A. Silva comes to 205??? If he does I hope it is for a title shot only. No more uncard fights.