UFC 133 Fight Card: Rashad Evans 'Would Love To Fight' Dan Henderson

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 133 Fight Card: Rashad Evans 'Would Love To Fight' Dan Henderson
FastKnockout
8/2/11 5:21:01PM
Dan Henderson picked up a huge win this past Saturday, knocking out legendary heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson. With his contract ending with Strikeforce, and having picked up three solid wins in a row, it's no shock that the talk of a Hendo return to the UFC has picked up.

Rashad Evans was supposed to be fighting for the UFC light heavyweight championship this weekend against Jon Jones, but an injury forced Jones off the card followed by Phil Davis pulling out with injury leading to a rematch with Tito Ortiz. A win should move Evans into position to fight the winner of the Jones/Quinton Jackson fight for the UFC title. So, would Evans have any interest in fighting Henderson in some sort of fight with Dan in the future (assuming he regains the 205 pound strap)? He tells a recent ESPN.com chat that he'd love it (HT: MMA Mania):

I'm a big Hendo fan. I picked him [against Fedor] even though I didn't think he was really going to win, but it was a pleasant surprise. I would love to fight him. He's getting better and better -- not so much learning new techniques, but having a stronger competitive mentality.

LINK
mattjonesy
8/2/11 5:29:59PM
I would actually love to see that fight
prophecy033
8/2/11 5:34:20PM
I would love to see this too. When Henderson left the ufc, there was a wide variety of fonts that would have been great to see Henderson. But if there was one fighter I would want Hendo to ko as his final fight in the ufc, it would have been Bisping. And that happened... So I'm happy
FastKnockout
8/2/11 5:35:38PM
Henderson could keep it standing, and Evan's chin is questionable. I'd take Henderson by devastating knockout.
grappler0000
8/2/11 5:41:05PM
Rashad would be lucky to make it out of the first round.
kopower
8/2/11 5:55:09PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Henderson could keep it standing, and Evan's chin is questionable. I'd take Henderson by devastating knockout.

This would be my hope if those two fought. I would love to see this happen.
Chieftan1997
8/2/11 6:55:55PM
I would love to see it too. I'd love too see Hendo knock him silly like Machida did!!! Then the winner could fight Jones after he destroys Rampage.

Hendo RD 1 KO!!!!
ncordless
8/2/11 7:05:33PM
Hendo always has a chance when he fights, but I don't think he has the defensive wrestling to stop Evans from doing just enough to win.
Shawn91111
8/2/11 7:25:11PM
Probably turn out how Rampage/Evans did. Then again, cant remember the last bad fight Hendo has had at 205, all his issues were from cutting the weight to 185.
kingsmasher
8/2/11 7:34:50PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Hendersons wrestling is overrated...i know olympics...i wonder how many tried for the team then...lets say 1000...compared to 10 years later...prolly 5 thousand..lets not forget...Evans took rampage down pretty easy....Hendo could not...size difference...and this fight would be boring...I think both would be slow to exchange and could be in the clinch for 80 percent of the fight..

I love MMA we do have short term memory as fans...and apparently fighters

Hendo Kos Fedor now he wants the winner of Jon Jones fight...he lost to Jake Shields
Tito destroyed by Matt Hamill catches Bader in a guillotine...Now he wants a shot
What about Thiago Alves...He beat Doomsday everyone was like oh hes back....

Now Doomsday is outta the UFC

Hendo I really like a guy like him but man the stock didnt rise that much...Put in perspective it likehe KOed a guy who lost two fights before that...

Id like to see Henderson take on Forrest Griffin...I think Forrest would bring him back to earth
FastKnockout
8/2/11 9:19:25PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by FastKnockout

Hendersons wrestling is overrated...i know olympics...i wonder how many tried for the team then...lets say 1000...compared to 10 years later...prolly 5 thousand..lets not forget...Evans took rampage down pretty easy....Hendo could not...size difference...and this fight would be boring...I think both would be slow to exchange and could be in the clinch for 80 percent of the fight..

Hendo Kos Fedor now he wants the winner of Jon Jones fight...he lost to Jake Shields
Tito destroyed by Matt Hamill catches Bader in a guillotine...Now he wants a shot

Hendo I really like a guy like him but man the stock didnt rise that much...Put in perspective it likehe KOed a guy who lost two fights before that...

Id like to see Henderson take on Forrest Griffin...I think Forrest would bring him back to earth

You're not giving enough credit to Henderson, and you're throwing MMA math around, which never works. Henderson and Evans are two completely different fighters, and how they fought Rampage means next to nothing if they fight each other.

Henderson may not have been able to take Rampage down, but I doubt Henderson would try the takedown against Evans. He will most likely use his wrestling for defensive purposes, and try to expose Evan's questionable chin, considering Evans has been rocked in both the Rampage and Silva fight following his knock out at the hands of Machida. Take into account that I also consider Henderson the more aggressive finisher when he has his opponent hurt thAn Silva and Rampage. Rampage tends to to rely more on one punch knockout power rather then combinations when he has his opponent hurt or in a vulnerable position, and we all know how Silva is when he has someone hurt (See his fight with Evans.)
Patchedup15
8/2/11 10:00:47PM
I love Hendo.. the guy is def worthy of a UFC title shot.. but heres the problem. How does he get there from Strikeforce.. lets be honest the promotion isn't going to last long so this isn't academic.

IF zuffa is truly in the business of making fights we all want to see then we allow for Hendo to fight Rashad in UFC if Rashad loses to Tito, or if Rashad beats Tito and wins Title.. otherwise.. not so interested.

IF zuffa wants strikeforce to remain financially viable then they MUST keep hendo in Sforce.. think of the potential that they have without their biggest name right now (since fedor has lost his shine and overeem was unjustly booted)
Shawn91111
8/2/11 10:13:43PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by FastKnockout

You do know he had a back injury weeks before the fight and couldnt get in any training right? He had to cut around 19lbs the day of weigh ins and it showed.
Shawn91111
8/2/11 10:14:35PM
I have always wanted to see Hendo vs Shogun
pmoney
8/2/11 10:22:47PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by FastKnockout

You do know he had a back injury weeks before the fight and couldnt get in any training right? He had to cut around 19lbs the day of weigh ins and it showed.

THANK YOU for highlighting the Shields issue. I hate to caps shout, but this is just ridiculous. So many people talk trash about Hendo getting beat by Shields, and forget about the circumstances.

I believe a healthy Hendo wins that fight 999 times out of 1000, and finishes of Shields in the first minute, just like he came so painfully close to doing in the first place.

Edit: Hendo-Shogun needs to happen, before either retire.
tn_rebel
8/3/11 12:21:01AM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by FastKnockout

THANK YOU for highlighting the Shields issue. I hate to caps shout, but this is just ridiculous. So many people talk trash about Hendo getting beat by Shields, and forget about the circumstances.

I believe a healthy Hendo wins that fight 999 times out of 1000, and finishes of Shields in the first minute, just like he came so painfully close to doing in the first place.

Edit: Hendo-Shogun needs to happen, before either retire.

I don't like watching Rashad fight anybody...BORING!!! I would love to see Hendo ko Shogun but Shogun will be out of this conversation when Forrest beats him again. But I do think he would need another win before he deserved a title shot and I think Hendo v. Forrest would be pretty exciting.
bjj1605
8/3/11 12:36:26AM

Posted by ncordless

Hendo always has a chance when he fights, but I don't think he has the defensive wrestling to stop Evans from doing just enough to win.

I agree.

Hendo is very good at taking people down. He's not good at stopping takedowns. His wrestling is mostly about outpowering people. But being stiff doesn't help you sprawl.

People are riding the Hendo hype train. I think Rashad takes this all day.
Manak
8/3/11 8:44:20AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by ncordless

I agree.

Hendo is very good at taking people down. He's not good at stopping takedowns. His wrestling is mostly about outpowering people. But being stiff doesn't help you sprawl.

I dont think hendo has a hype train, he is a proven vet... He has been in every fight he was in and makes good fights. cant remember a time when hendo was getting outclassed n wasnt the only person to every finish him to be anderson? the guy is a gamer. personal i think hendo takes this, he is not easy to TD plus is amazing in the clinch n i think he will connect to put rashad down. rashads best weapon against him is his speed but thiago n rampage could catch him hendo can n will finish
bjj1605
8/3/11 10:07:23AM

Posted by Manak

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by ncordless

I agree.

I dont think hendo has a hype train, he is a proven vet... He has been in every fight he was in and makes good fights. cant remember a time when hendo was getting outclassed n wasnt the only person to every finish him to be anderson? the guy is a gamer. personal i think hendo takes this, he is not easy to TD plus is amazing in the clinch n i think he will connect to put rashad down. rashads best weapon against him is his speed but thiago n rampage could catch him hendo can n will finish

I agree that Hendo is a proven vet. At one time, one of the very best fighters in the sport.

That doesn't change the fact that he has a hype train. After a series of big victories (or even one) people tend to overestimate a fighters skills. Just like after a single loss, they underestimate them.

I might have overstated my confidence in Rashad the first time. Hendo would absolutely have a good chance. But I think realistically he should be the underdog in this fight. People's posts so far aren't reflecting that fact.
Manak
8/3/11 10:22:36AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Manak

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by ncordless

I agree.

I agree that Hendo is a proven vet. At one time, one of the very best fighters in the sport.

That doesn't change the fact that he has a hype train. After a series of big victories (or even one) people tend to overestimate a fighters skills. Just like after a single loss, they underestimate them.

I might have overstated my confidence in Rashad the first time. Hendo would absolutely have a good chance. But I think realistically he should be the underdog in this fight. People's posts so far aren't reflecting that fact.

yea i would agree hendo would be the underdog but i still think he would take rashad, i sse what u mean in his recent hype but i was takin in the sense that ppl are now saying he is worth sumthing when he has always been a top fighter
kingsmasher
8/3/11 1:23:18PM
Yeah Henderson would be an underdog...Vegas doesnt forget and ride a couple fight streak..

About Rashad...Yeah he got caught aganst Silva and Rampage...His own fault because he switched his gameplan...He tried to exchange after leading in both fights 2 - 0...He can either be smart or he will get KO..

How bout Henderson and Machida as his first fight back....That would be interesting too...or Forrest liek I said before...but if Evans wins he gets title shot...

I dont know why hed say he wants dan...UFC might oblige and say you said you wanted it.....They should say he wants dan after he gets title shot is I am sure what rashad wants...I see Rashad and dan just too far from teh actual picture...If anyone I am betting he gets Machida...Or of course they give him another SF deal...I dont understand how he can leave SF with the belt...MAkes no sense...That would just put big asteriks by the champion who ended up with it....

I predict that Dan gets another deal with SF like 2 fights...
Wolfenstein
8/3/11 4:39:06PM
After the way Jake Shields took Dan to the mat at will...and we're talking about a natural WW here, I think Rashad would probably outwrestle Dan barring a big overhand right ending things early. Rashad has an extremely explosive shot, and probably the speed to stay out of Dan's range. Hendo has some heavy hands, but he needs a guy to stand in front of him or be willing to exchange in order to land.
Bubbles
8/3/11 7:53:14PM
Evans should be the favourite, but i am rooting and picking Hendo to land that cement block he calls a fist
Pookie
8/4/11 1:45:37AM
Yup, I'd bet on Henderson, and in a 5 rounder i'd make him the favorite.